Game Day The Port Adelaide Draft Day Centre for Disinterested Campaigners

Remove this Banner Ad

So we picked a ruckman with our first pick. That's gotta be classed as a disappointment from a positional point of view. Definitely not a spot we needed filled with our best pick.

He's a big slideer though, that could be good could be bad. Hopefully good!

We haven’t messed around with our 2 picks so far suggesting they were pretty high on our list of potential draftees

So we picked a ruckman with our first pick. That's gotta be classed as a disappointment from a positional point of view. Definitely not a spot we needed filled with our best pick.

How is it disappointing? You don't draft guys to plug and play when you're contending from a premiership from the get go. If you have a 3rd round pick able to walk into your side that's meant to contend for a flag this year, we simply are over-estimating where we are truly at.

This draft was always going to be about drafting with a clear eye on development.

Not sure we could let that pick slide any further. It fills a medium to long term need.

Carlton looked like they had a couple of F/S darts players sitting next to Brendon Bolton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you guys trying to become Melbourne?

Bloody hell. Four ex-Dees.
We tried to be Richmond the last few years but then for some reason they decided to win a flag so now we go to the next middle of the road side.

I have gone from a disinterested campaigner to being a tad underwhelmed, and yes I do realise we were forced to line up at the gents whilst the best options were cut from the herd. ;)

Hayes could be a chance sometime down the track, but I have a feeling the others picks may all be vanilla flavour.

As per usual I will be happy to be proven wrong if I have underestimated any of them though. :rolleyes:

Negative Campaigner do you like anything?

Negative Campaigner do you like anything?
In my own head I'm a realist and dont let my bias cloud my judgement. I will applaud the things the club does well and call out that which needs can be left open for examination. A lot of supporters can't handle the last part and are just happy in doubtful circumstances to follow like sheep whereas I like to continue to stay balanced and have opinions that are the same ones that someone fair and reasonable from outside the club would have, that's just me. If it isn't liked then tough cookies. The block function is always there.

In my own head I'm a realist and dont let my bias cloud my judgement. I will applaud the things the club does well and call out that which needs can be left open for examination. A lot of supporters can't handle the last part and are just happy in doubtful circumstances to follow like sheep whereas I like to continue to stay balanced and have opinions that are the same ones that someone fair and reasonable from outside the club would have, that's just me. If it isn't liked then tough cookies. The block function is always there.
Nothing wrong with drafting a ruckman who has been a goal kicker in the under 18s to go with our other young rucks. All can do damage in the middle and up forward.

Nothing wrong with drafting a ruckman who has been a goal kicker in the under 18s to go with our other young rucks. All can do damage in the middle and up forward.
I've never said there's anything wrong with the kid. I said 2 things, he slid so that can usually be for good or bad reasons, let's hope it is for good. The second thing I've said is that to spend our best pick on a ruck, when our recruiting guys openly said we'd go to the draft for positional needs and not best available, and we dont really need a ruck is a weird call. However subsequently Parker has come out and said that we didn't need another developing ruck, so that I agree with, so it appears we picked him up because he was too good to refuse, which is something we can all live with.

I've never said there's anything wrong with the kid. I said 2 things, he slid so that can usually be for good or bad reasons, let's hope it is for good. The second thing I've said is that to spend our best pick on a ruck, when our recruiting guys openly said we'd go to the draft for positional needs and not best available, and we dont really need a ruck is a weird call. However subsequently Parker has come out and said that we didn't need another developing ruck, so that I agree with, so it appears we picked him up because he was too good to refuse, which is something we can all live with.
Can't take everything a recruiter says before the draft to be 100% truthful, they don't want to show their entire hand to the public.

I'm guessing that with Worpel gone, we've probably reset, and must have thought either Essendon or Melbourne, who are both a bit skinny after their first ruckman, would grab Hayes before our next pick.

And we must have thought Collingwood were into Patmore, or another of our prospective targets, which is the only explanation of our earlier bid on Brown. Got them to spend their next pick after Farrell there and then, getting it out of the way of ours, and then they decided not to use their last, probably a rookie upgrade or DFA now so we've saved someone's bacon over there, we just don't know whose yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back