WAFL changes on the back of the Peel flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooooooo all the afl aligned clubs in Vic shouldn't too

Yeah ok
I’d rather see the stand alone clubs play in seperate comp to the aligned clubs in the VFL. They have made a total mess of that comp but can’t see it changing.
I guess you guys in the WAFL have become accustomed to it but I never want to see the day an AFL aligned club wins a SANFL flag. As a sponsor and 40 year member of Norwood I’ve always maintained that the day one of the AFL aligned sides wins the flag will be the day my sponsorship and membership ends.

I’d rather see the stand alone clubs play in seperate comp to the aligned clubs in the VFL. They have made a total mess of that comp but can’t see it changing.
I guess you guys in the WAFL have become accustomed to it but I never want to see the day an AFL aligned club wins a SANFL flag. As a sponsor and 40 year member of Norwood I’ve always maintained that the day one of the AFL aligned sides wins the flag will be the day my sponsorship and membership ends.

You can't have it both ways

AFL clubs can't have players thrown all over the state leagues with different coaches and different opportunities.

Really?

Not trying to start a s**t fight but why should Norwood lose your support just because an AFL aligned club wins a flag?

I follow West Perth. Pay my membership and go to as many games as I can. Peel or East Perth winning doesn't affect that.

Really?

Not trying to start a s**t fight but why should Norwood lose your support just because an AFL aligned club wins a flag?

I follow West Perth. Pay my membership and go to as many games as I can. Peel or East Perth winning doesn't affect that.

Yep it's a contradiction

I support south. I'm not going to stop supporting them due to EP or Peel being in the finals

Having said that I loved watching the last WAFL final where Peel beat Subi.

Subi members were such entitled pricks. The overly aggressive attitude to Peel supporters was shocking

Really?

Because Norwood were one of the clubs who voted them in despite the majority of our members not wanting it. Several of us took to the floor at the AGM outlining our disgust at the proposal to allow them entry. The board at the time said they would listen to their members and vote accordingly. Members were 70/30 against it and yet at the last minute our board backflipped and voted them in. They now wonder why sponsorship, membership and attendances are at an all time low. People have left the SANFL in droves because of it. My group has dwindled from 20-30 that never missed a game to myself and 2 others that go most weeks and a couple others who go to a few home games each year.

Yep it's a contradiction

I support south. I'm not going to stop supporting them due to EP or Peel being in the finals

Having said that I loved watching the last WAFL final where Peel beat Subi.

Subi members were such entitled pricks. The overly aggressive attitude to Peel supporters was shocking
I would have thought his/hers support would be stronger because of the alignment sides.

As for $ubiaco, I *en hate them. Have only really been successful since the start of the expanded VFL competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Norwood were one of the clubs who voted them in despite the majority of our members not wanting it. Several of us took to the floor at the AGM outlining our disgust at the proposal to allow them entry. The board at the time said they would listen to their members and vote accordingly. Members were 70/30 against it and yet at the last minute our board backflipped and voted them in. They now wonder why sponsorship, membership and attendances are at an all time low. People have left the SANFL in droves because of it. My group has dwindled from 20-30 that never missed a game to myself and 2 others that go most weeks and a couple others who go to a few home games each year.
Didnt know that.

Pretty shortsighted of your board especially when they're not in a position of strength if people decide to vote with their feet.

Must be a pretty attractive kickback in there somewhere.

Didnt know that.

Pretty shortsighted of your board especially when they're not in a position of strength if people decide to vote with their feet.

Must be a pretty attractive kickback in there somewhere.
The line the club trotted out was that several other clubs were in deep financial trouble and that the $50k per year each club would receive from the Crows would be their salvation. They hadn’t figured in the loss of revenue from fans voting with their feet so many clubs are worse off now

I've got to bring up some points here.

East Perth did not win the 3 flags 2000-2002 on the back of the Eagles players.

This wasn't like the current alignment, to start with it was only interstate players and most of them were average at best. Wooden, Antonowicz, Chambers, O'Brien (who got delisted by WCE the week of the 2000 GF), Munro and Haynes are hardly world beaters. Good solid WAFL/SANFL/VFL players at best.

It was the appointment of Tony Micale as coach and the veteran East Perth players that won those flags.

Hard for people to believe or understand that the 2000-01 alignment wasn't the same as the one in 1999 or the one we've got the endure now.

I dislike the alignment as much as anyone, but facts need to be stated, East Perth won the 2000 flag with 6 Eagles players in the 22.

2001 was a match up between the aligned clubs, something South Fremantle supporters conveniently tend to forget about.

2002 there was no alignment, despite belief to the contrary.

Again I detest this alignment and cannot wait for it to end, I sat at the 2013 and 2014 Grand Finals and was apathetic about what I was watching.

For years I've wanted an AFL reserve grade comp to include all clubs, even if that dilutes the WAFL talent pool to a degree it'd be better for everyone in the long run.

People believe what they want to believe, a lot of it based on merit and fact, but never forget the 7 other clubs all took their pieces of silver from the AFL/WAFC and are just as responsible for what we've got now.

WC didn't make the finals in 2000 or 2001. East Perth is where players who are not selected to play league go to keep in shape. Why were those WC players still playing. As you say they were east coast recruits. Why not give an opportunity to some hometown guys to play.
Chambers had no strong eperth connection. He went to west Perth. Wooden had no strong eperth connection he went to subi.
Both those players were in the bests in the gf. You win at footy with a dominant midfield. Both are midfielders.

Apparently the A-League is thinking of creating a national reserves comp.

It'll be a huge shame if a much smaller code in Australia beats the AFL on this.
The A-League runs a comp now called the National Youth League which is made up of 16-21 year olds and you are allowed 4 over age players so it’s essentially a Reserves comp now. I actually don’t mind watching it from time to time as you get to see your sides youth aswell as a few older blokes run around

The A-League runs a comp now called the National Youth League which is made up of 16-21 year olds and you are allowed 4 over age players so it’s essentially a Reserves comp now. I actually don’t mind watching it from time to time as you get to see your sides youth aswell as a few older blokes run around

I didn't know that. Hurry up, AFL.

Apparently the A-League is thinking of creating a national reserves comp.

It'll be a huge shame if a much smaller code in Australia beats the AFL on this.
An AFL reserves competition would be less successful than a state competition. Few people actually want to watch reserves. Most WAFL supporters don't view the competition as "reserves", because it isn't.

The WAFL had the chance to plug the "loopholes", but did b.... all. The presidents of the clubs had the chance to force change, well all season we have heard crickets, until now.
Rubbish, WAFL teams have continued to push against the alignment. But at some point you have to focus on winning games of footy and operating your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back