Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine being a premiership contender with Stewart Crameri as your leading goal kicker.
Only team to beat freo in Perth that year + I think ess were in 2nd going into round 18 or something.
So basically, after moving on and getting ourselves in a good position, you want us to go back to the shitstorm?

Yeah nah I'll pass

If you think he's likely to reoffend then cross him off but the fact is injections are used by all clubs, Hird just managed to use one that was banned a year or so before it was administered. I say Hird, but when you look at what Dank did at Cronulla it's pretty obvious who gave him the idea. He's still young by coaching standards, plenty of time for redemption. Maybe too soon for some peoples taste tho.

Start getting in Caracellas ear. Just in case. Long term option who has done his full apprenticeship. Best standout new coach option that has been available for a while, fas as I can tell.
If Woosha stays for more than 1 more year, (and he deserves to go with our blessing and be with his family if that's what he wants), lock down Caracella as an assistant or something.

Essendon chiefs to sit down with coach John Worsfold to thrash out new contract extension

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
January 30, 2018 5:27pm

JOHN Worsfold is closing in on a contract extension by Round 1 after impressing Essendon powerbrokers in his first real season of coaching last year.

Worsfold will sit down with club boss Xavier Campbell after the chief executive returns from an American fact-finding trip next week.

The 49-year-old is entering his final season of a three-year deal and said if he did not receive an extension it would not be a distraction to his club’s chances.

But after Collingwood had to endure a media circus around Nathan Buckley’s future the Bombers would seem unlikely to reprise that tactic for the 2006 Eagles premiership coach.

Worsfold is unashamedly targeting a premiership in coming years, having recruited a trio of exciting rivals in Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

32a04fa4612bf9e88058606e26e5b0f7

Essendon recruits Adam Saad, Jake Stringer and Devon Smith with the men who helped make their numbers famous at Essendon. Pic: Michael Klein

After signing on to coach Essendon, Worsfold was then the steady hand at the tiller as the Bombers lost a dozen stars over a drug ban in 2016.

Last year, with his side playing an attractive, up-tempo style, the Bombers won 12 games before being well beaten by Sydney in an elimination final with Worsfold missing key players through injury and some playing in pain.

He is seen to have instilled a sustainable game plan, put in place a strong cultural framework and led the entire club as well as the playing group.

A one or two-year extension would add real stability to the senior coaching position after five changes of coach since Kevin Sheedy left in 2007.

122b8508d74a63fe2e7beaa1e9930850

John Worsfold has guided the Bombers through a turbulent period. Pic: Getty Images

Worsfold told the Herald Sun he was comfortable with progress on his future at the club.

“That’s coming up. Xavier is at the Super Bowl so I am on hold for a week. We have discussed it pre-Christmas and put a plan in place and that will all be pretty smooth, I would expect.”

Asked if he expected to be re-signed by Round 1, he replied: “You never know how these things unfold.

“I might be done two days after Xavier is back, it may be all sorted. But you never know, we haven’t gone into depth about the club’s aspirations in the medium-term.”

Worsfold said speculation about the future of senior coaches was unavoidable regardless of their contract position.

“That pressure is always there, it doesn’t matter if you have still got a year to go or an extra year.

f47146deb7b3676ae6af9b87516ba60b

The Bombers are preparing for a big 2018. Picture: Jay Town

“If you are clear on where you stand in terms of you and your club communicating strongly all the way through, you can deal with the external pressure.

“Sometimes it annoys fans because they feed off the questions the media are asking but if you are really strong with your communication and everyone knows where it sits the fans can make their (judgments) from that.”

New head of football Dan Richardson, only at the club for three weeks after crossing from Richmond, will also play a key role in the talks as Worsfold reports directly to him.

Campbell will meet with representatives of several leading sports teams in the US and Canada as well as hosting the club’s sponsors at the Super Bowl in Minneapolis.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/1e3a4406c14859fe4e53a8ca966f7f9d

I don't think it's been confirmed either way. I think his family moving back to Perth has been so I'm not sure what the options are besides long distance relationship/father, divorce or fifo.
That's what I wasn't sure was confirmed. But if it's true, it doesn't seem ideal if they have and he's not divorcing the wife...

That's what I wasn't sure was confirmed. But if it's true, it doesn't seem ideal if they have and he's not divorcing the wife...
Would also be quite frankly bizarre to my mind to negotiate more years on your contract if that was indeed the case.

I guess, as with most things, time will tell. Will be good to have it done either way before the season starts though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Worsfold poised for two-year contract extension at Essendon

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
February 13, 2018 7:30pm

JOHN Worsfold will be offered a contract extension by Round 1, with Essendon chiefs delighted with his coaching.

The Herald Sun understands Worsfold will be presented with a new two-year deal after navigating the Bombers through an unprecedented period.

The 49-year-old, who is entering the final season of a three-year deal, is expected to sit down with Essendon powerbrokers before the end of the month.

Neither coach or club have been in a hurry to put pen to paper over pre-season, with chief executive Xavier Campbell only recently returning from overseas and Worsfold comfortable sitting tight.

But a new arrangement appears a virtual formality and one the Bombers want to have finalised by the start of the season given the potential for distraction.

The club feels 2018 will be Worsfold’s first proper season in charge. The 2016 campaign was a write-off because of the ASADA drug ban, while last year Worsfold was seen to have one hand tied behind his back as he tried to reintroduce 10 players.

The 2006 West Coast premiership coach took the Dons to 12 wins in 2017 playing an attacking corridor-based game before they were well beaten by Sydney in an elimination final.

Yet the recruitment of established rivals Devon Smith, Jake Stringer and Adam Saad shows a coach who believes his side can push for a premiership in the near future.

Worsfold hinted before last year’s elimination final loss to Sydney that he was only just getting started.

“I’ve got some specific things I want to achieve with the Essendon Football Club and these first two years there’s probably been a different set of goals, or maybe additional goals, compared to normal,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I’ll work in with what the club’s vision is and as long as that’s aligned and we’re achieving the goals we want, then hopefully it’s a nice, long partnership.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/john-worsfold-poised-for-twoyear-contract-extension-at-essendon/news-story/08eeb3a24b1fe6b193123fb2c8a50c1b1

"The club feels 2018 will be Worsfold’s first proper season in charge. The 2016 campaign was a write-off because of the ASADA drug ban, while last year Worsfold was seen to have one hand tied behind his back as he tried to reintroduce 10 players."
Nice to see that acknowledged :)

“I’ve got some specific things I want to achieve with the Essendon Football Club and these first two years there’s probably been a different set of goals, or maybe additional goals, compared to normal,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I’ll work in with what the club’s vision is and as long as that’s aligned and we’re achieving the goals we want, then hopefully it’s a nice, long partnership.”
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Curious where this leaves his fam being back in WA now or something though :huh:

"The club feels 2018 will be Worsfold’s first proper season in charge. The 2016 campaign was a write-off because of the ASADA drug ban, while last year Worsfold was seen to have one hand tied behind his back as he tried to reintroduce 10 players."
Nice to see that acknowledged :)

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Curious where this leaves his fam being back in WA now or something though :huh:

If he is signing it means they are comfortable with the situation.

Very happy with any extension, 2 years is a good length of time and sounds like everyone is on the same page. Glad that they are looking as 2018 as his first year too, its logical but sometimes you get worried that impatience or politics could get in the way.

Yeah this. FIFO can put a lot of stress on even the strongest family units. I really don't see how this can work long term unless the fam actually hasn't moved back to Perth permanently or it's already divorce city. Very curious indeed.
I do wonder if divorce or separation is what is going on here because we haven't seen anything about it in the media and you'd think follow up questions would have been asked. I suspect that it could be separation but the media are doing what they sometimes do and not asking about or reporting on the personal lives of people in the industry when they know about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back