Opinion 4 key questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Boyd has overtaken him as a ruck.
I don’t think the 2017 season is a genuine reflection on how good Roughie can be. I like the 2016 version, particularly in the finals. Very mobile and plenty of contested grabs. He was recovering from ‘experimental’ surgery on his hamstring last year.

Boyds Gf show his ceiling as a ruck is miles beyond Rough. Fit and well Boyd is a better ruck than Rough right now.

Adams is no great shakes as a one on one defender so not a massive loss if he goes.fwd. reckon he could be a vrry handy fwd. Trengove gives us a lot of.options.

I'd imagine we will try out a few options depending on form, fitness and opposition.

Morris not playing??? HaahahahahahahhahahahahahaHahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha
Wow
MD, face the facts big fella Dale Morris played 11 games last
year and not only did we trade a KPD and a REBOUNDER, but
we then Drafted a KPD and a REBOUNDER with our first two
picks. The winds of change are blowing and if my name was
Collins, Roberts or even Hamling they have or will react to
those ill winds.

It's a little confusing with those suggesting Adams should play up forward. He's shown that he can be a good defender with the limited games he's played. Which suggests he'll only get better with a better run of games.
He's shown nothing as a forward apart from a small stint there at a far lower level.
Would like to hear reasons from those who prefer him forward.

As for the original question...

1. Cordy and Adams. Cordy showed in the Ess game that he's progressing well and that he'll only get better as a one on one defender. Adams showed enough as well in the games he's played.
Trengove a bit of unknown for me as hasn't played as permanent defender for a few seasons.

2. Boyd with rough resting. If we go with two KPF's then would like to see Schache given a go as he's our future and needs time in that role, as does Boyd. Red hasn't shown enough.

3. Rough with Boyd pinch hitting.

4. HB, Wing, HF. A bit each way but can be dangerous in all roles.

Last edited:
Boyd has neither the instincts, speed or agility to get separation from his opponent. Never gets an easy ball on the lead, in space. Makes him a very ineffective forward.

Terrific young ruckman though.

I get it. We need a key forward. We invested so much in him to fill that role. But not being mature enough to acknowledge he’s best served elsewhere is an even bigger mistake.

Agree with all of this fronk.
I like way way he rucks , and have been banging on about it for while now , but that's his only future in the modern game the way I see it.
MD wont like it ;)

Agree with all of this fronk.
I like way way he rucks , and have been banging on about it for while now , but that's his only future in the modern game the way I see it.
MD wont like it ;)

Boyds best footy has been as a ruck, and unless he suddenly learns to mark on the lead and take contested grabs fwd then his only viable spot is ruck. Bonus for Boyd is that he has little to beat in the underwelming Rough and Campbell.

As for MD's comment that Boyd only wants to play fwd, I heard him say the opposite in an interview. Even if true, Tom is getting a milion a year, he can play where he is told.

It's a little confusing with those suggesting Adams should play up forward. He's shown that he can be a good defender with the limited games he's played. Which suggests he'll only get better with a better run of games.
He's shown nothing as a forward apart from a small stint there at a far lower level.
Would like to hear reasons from those who prefer him forward.

I'm one of the ones who thinks he should be played predominantly forward this year and swing back when needed.

With the acquisition of Trengrove and the emergence late last season of Cordy I'd have them as the two talls down back. Then we also have the experience of Morris and Wood and that rounds out a pretty solid and versatile defence (plus the the attacking half backs obviously).

I disagree strongly with he has shown nothing as a forward. He as the ability and attributes to be exactly what we lack, a link up CHF who will compete, take contested marks and crash packs. In the three game stint he had forward last year (moved back late in two of those games) he took 8 marks inside 50 and kicked 4.7. His finishing is just a bit scrathy. But from a small sample size he was one of the only blokes who could take a mark inside 50 for us.

I'm one of the ones who thinks he should be played predominantly forward this year and swing back when needed.

With the acquisition of Trengrove and the emergence late last season of Cordy I'd have them as the two talls down back. Then we also have the experience of Morris and Wood and that rounds out a pretty solid and versatile defence (plus the the attacking half backs obviously).

I disagree strongly with he has shown nothing as a forward. He as the ability and attributes to be exactly what we lack, a link up CHF who will compete, take contested marks and crash packs. In the three game stint he had forward last year (moved back late in two of those games) he took 8 marks inside 50 and kicked 4.7. His finishing is just a bit scrathy. But from a small sample size he was one of the only blokes who could take a mark inside 50 for us.

Yeah fair enough, was probably a little much stating he's shown nothing. I just don't think he's shown enough to move him from a role he's shown a lot more in.

If we're playing the two fwds then...
It pretty much comes down to who you'd prefer in the 22. Schache (fwd) and Adams (def) or Adams (fwd) and Trengove (def).
I'd prefer the former.
Obviously could be Red instead of Schache but can't see he and Boyd in same side.
If we go one fwd with Adams playing fwd it means no Rough or Boyd.

Quiet a few scenarios to mull over before Rd 1 I guess

Last edited:
Adams will make a good forward.

He is quick on the lead. Good when there is space.

He is a strong mark. Good when a contest mark is required.

He is nimble and strong enough to fight is out once the ball hits the ground.

Basically the making on a modern day forward. Oh can also quick from outside 50.

Okey dokey.

Interested in everyone’s opinions on the following 4 queries. I see them as the main question marks for our lineup going into 2018.

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)??
2. Who are our 2 key forwards?
3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman?
4. Where does JJ play?

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)??
Season Start: Adams & Trengrove
Season End: Adams & Trengrove & Naughton (One to swing)

2. Who are our 2 key forwards?
Season Start: Redpath & Boyd
Season End: Redpath & Schache

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman?
Season Start: Roughhead
Season End: Roughhead or Boyd

4. Where does JJ play?
Season Start/End: Wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club need to stop moving blokes around and stick with a plan. You don’t see the hawks crows swans moving their Kps around wily nilly

As I have been saying - Versatility is overrated. The best back lines in history have been stable back sixes. Not guys that float in and out or are played forward one week and back the next. Simply must lock down a back six and spine like you say. If anyone rotates make it the half backs stepping onto a wing or something.

1. Which 2 key defenders are we playing (alongside Morris)?? Trengrove, Cordy and Adams all part of our intercepting zone defence.

2. Who are our 2 key forwards? Just 1 - Boyd

3. Who plays as our number 1 ruckman? Rough

4. Where does JJ play? Wing

If Boyd is our best ruckman we can prepare for a VERY early draft pick.

Anyone internally knows he doesn’t want to or enjoy the ruck. His team mates also know he doesn’t want to play there. Obviously he will but making a player play somewhere they actually dislike isnt a positive thing.

I will hunt down the interview where he was asked about it and he said “ team thing blah blah but I much prefer being forward, I have always been a forward.

Boyd plays ruck
Adams play forward
Bulldogs bottom 4

Good teams don’t shuffle their KPS yearly they build a spine and try to keep it in place

MD, face the facts big fella Dale Morris played 11 games last
year and not only did we trade a KPD and a REBOUNDER, but
we then Drafted a KPD and a REBOUNDER with our first two
picks. The winds of change are blowing and if my name was
Collins, Roberts or even Hamling they have or will react to
those ill winds.

I get that but Moz is a legend and is a walk in every week even simply for his leadership on field.

Moz plays when he is fit and tell me the last game he missed due to form??????

I get that but Moz is a legend and is a walk in every week even simply for his leadership on field.

Moz plays when he is fit and tell me the last game he missed due to form??????
Morris is a legend no doubt MD, but we all get older which is
funny as today is my birthday. Form is not the usual reason
we all bow out, but like you i wish him the very best for the
2018 season.

Anyone internally knows he doesn’t want to or enjoy the ruck. His team mates also know he doesn’t want to play there. Obviously he will but making a player play somewhere they actually dislike isnt a positive thing.

I will hunt down the interview where he was asked about it and he said “ team thing blah blah but I much prefer being forward, I have always been a forward.

Boyd plays ruck
Adams play forward
Bulldogs bottom 4

Good teams don’t shuffle their KPS yearly they build a spine and try to keep it in place

Well Tom beter get used to the.twos because his fwd work sucks balls

Boyd plays ruck
Adams play forward
Bulldogs bottom 4

The problem MD is he has shown virtually no reason for any of us to be optimistic about him becoming
the power forward he was drafted as.
On all the vision I have seen , I'm far more bullish about Schache As a forward.
Also technically a better kick.

This is very tough. So many options in the back line so few in the forward line.
Backs: Trengove - recruited mainly as a back; Cordy - has exposed form so he gets the nod. Adams is in the wings when demonstrates fitness and form. I also think Naughton will surpass all of the above in the near future.
Forwards: Schache - moves better than Boyd who I have lost faith in as a forward until I see otherwise, Redpath: he's no world beater but he leads, can take a mark and is a good kick
Ruck: whoever is the fittest but I'd start with Boyd
JJ: half back - his run from defence is still much needed. Moved to wing when the heavy tag is likely.

Note of caution: now that we have more tall options there may be a tendency to pick more of them, however, we already lack pace over the ground so some of these talls might find themselves in and out of the side on rotation and depending on matchups.

Morris is a legend no doubt MD, but we all get older which is
funny as today is my birthday. Form is not the usual reason
we all bow out, but like you i wish him the very best for the
2018 season.
Happy Birthday Yojimbo, the unlemmingest of all posters! Hope you have a nice day mate. Looking forward to a birthday edition of useless stats

I want two Z.Cordy's. One as a CHF and one as a CHB

Love this guy makes things happen, has mongrel,is tough, causes collateral damage and doesn't panic.

Give me two of him and we are set.

The problem MD is he has shown virtually no reason for any of us to be optimistic about him becoming
the power forward he was drafted as.
On all the vision I have seen , I'm far more bullish about Schache As a forward.
Also technically a better kick.

Mate maybe I’m confused but didn’t he nearly win a Norm Smith playing forward?

I mean I know I’m a little flakey but I’m pretty sure that was him and I have never to zero faith in a kid that couldn’t get a game with the lions coz he wasn’t happy! Sorry I’m my book that’s weak as p!ss so I will await Schache to prove my wrong but I’m not holding my breathe so maybe both options are no good :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back