AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand where the Aflx's target market is.

Off season - women's game is developing and starting to show signs it can own this slot

Preseason prep - it's only quarter of the team getting an intense hour (max if you make the final) of aerobic interval training which can be easily achieved at home without travel. Don't see Aflx offers any advantage.

Community involvement - you need to be elite aerobic fit so not suited to weekend warriors.

Demonstration/engagement outside Australia - again, need elite aerobic plus skills so need Afl level players and the men are already full time athletes. Maybe the women can do their comp in off season then this later in the year to enable them the be full time but don't think the Afl will try to sell this overseas with women especially as their game is just starting to develop.

A bit of fun for the 10 players- looks like they enjoy it but not sure clubs will see this as sufficient grounds to continue with it.

Not a fan of the aflx, not my cup of tea. Its like a competitive training drill. Like competitive aerobics, making a sport out of an exercise routine. The afls aerobics oz style. Also not a fan of T20, rugby 7s, fast 4 tennis etc.
Based on that I’d say that you aren’t the target market. IMO the tournament was a success.

Totally agree mate. He is one of those blokes that gives his all 100% of the time. He seemed to really enjoy himself out there. He would have enjoyed getting his competitive juices flowing again. He seems to be really hungry and will be a big inclusion this year.

Watching him in the intra-club was both fascinating and scary. He didn't make any distinction between friend or foe- basically outta my way or cop the consequences. Someone said the coaches had asked him to throttle back. Didn't look like it to me.

Re Bell- noone has been more scathing than me of this bloke and his look like Tarzan, play like Jane persona. If nothing else, it presents a very poor example to the kids.

But, but, this pre-season I must say there have been a few glimpses, maybe an outcome of a frank, one-to-one with Fagan. Just a few snatches of better things, admittedly as yet far from totally convincing. Time will tell.

It was a good indication of how he’s improved on his weaknesses and there didn’t seem to be much improvement there. Which isn’t a good sign for him.

With how our list is tracking I don't think he will make it at the Lions, but I think he's in with a chance at another club. Unfortunately he's a slow possession winning midfielder and that isn't a need for us, nor is he going to get the adequate development at that position.

With how our list is tracking I don't think he will make it at the Lions, but I think he's in with a chance at another club. Unfortunately he's a slow possession winning midfielder and that isn't a need for us, nor is he going to get the adequate development at that position.
One thing Bell is, is a goal kicker. Shanks them around the ground but when kicking for goals either on the run or set shot he is very reliable. Can only see him succeeding in the front half & only if he goes hard (every time) I'm a fan of Belly but last year.... he was soft before being injured.

One thing Bell is, is a goal kicker. Shanks them around the ground but when kicking for goals either on the run or set shot he is very reliable. Can only see him succeeding in the front half & only if he goes hard (every time) I'm a fan of Belly but last year.... he was soft before being injured.

I was talking about Keays, but spot on observations RE Bell. I just wish he'd recapture some of the Carlton 2015 form.

I was talking about Keays, but spot on observations RE Bell. I just wish he'd recapture some of the Carlton 2015 form.
The same Tom Bell who was one of the better midfielders in a team decimated by injury and a team that come last on the ladder. And the same Tom Bell who had the same kicking problems then as he does now.
If he survives this year, I for 1 will be surprised. Good luck to him though and i would love for him to prove me wrong.

Im not a traditionalist, im all for devalopment of the game. Im not precious about the bounce, want more player movement and want a twilight granny.

I love 20/20 cricket.

Aflx is bad. It is too easy and takes big marking, snaps and the competitive nature out of the game. It really doesent suite AFL at all as it lacks the finesse of soccer and basketball to be good in a small space. Kicking a 40 meter goal is really not exciting when its that easy. It was boring, i took nothing from it and even found it hard to watch our games right through.

Good to see us win, we need to build confidence however we can. Good the rehab crew got back through with no injuries. Rich looked great. Our disposal was ordinary at times but we made up for it with commitment to defense.

Bring on the real stuff.

Contrary to what most AFL supporters think, apparently the NRL brigade are on to us - AFLX is going to destroy the AFL, and the NRL will own China (despite not having any presence) because they don't have an "A" in their acronym.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/behind-the-x-factor-in-the-traditional-game-20180225-p4z1n5.html

Oh Roy, never change. :D

Roy Masters said:
But the Chinese will not embrace a sport named after another country.

In any case, the acronym AFLC has already been adopted by an American Football League (China) competition.

Left hand, meet right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed that 'Comments are not open on this article'. It is a rambling mess of random ideas.

I think that's intended to avoid the article being shown up by a better standard of writing in the comments.

I'd rather a game that is better to watch live every day of the week than a game that is better on TV. It's hard to build atmosphere on TV with a quarter full stadium.

Roy is the NRL's version of Scotty "keep punching" Palmer (for those not old enough to remember him, a football journalist - aka gossip columnist - with the Melbourne Sun News-Pictorial newspaper), but far more likeable.

You mean NRL?

Exactly. The only live NRL game I saw with any atmosphere was a final between the Broncos and the Dragons. And Origin. The Broncos get crowds but if they ever had a sustained period in the bottom four like we have had their crowds would have disappeared too. Their game is so much better on TV than it is live.

dlanod seems to be the only one here who watched the AFLX live but from his reports it seemed better live than it was on TV. Regular AFL is great on TV if you are a fan but it is hard to convert anyone new to imo, but bring them to a live game and even without knowing the rules they enjoy the spectacle and seem to notice that a lot happens away from the ball - they generally want to come back. For AFLX to work I think it has to be as good on TV as it is live, simple enough that anyone can pick up the rules and I think they need to be able to compact the gameplay into what will fit onto a single television screen without feeling like you are missing half the game. That is League's biggest strength, you follow the ball, you see all the action basically.

Exactly. The only live NRL game I saw with any atmosphere was a final between the Broncos and the Dragons. And Origin. The Broncos get crowds but if they ever had a sustained period in the bottom four like we have had their crowds would have disappeared too. Their game is so much better on TV than it is live.

dlanod seems to be the only one here who watched the AFLX live but from his reports it seemed better live than it was on TV. Regular AFL is great on TV if you are a fan but it is hard to convert anyone new to imo, but bring them to a live game and even without knowing the rules they enjoy the spectacle and seem to notice that a lot happens away from the ball - they generally want to come back. For AFLX to work I think it has to be as good on TV as it is live, simple enough that anyone can pick up the rules and I think they need to be able to compact the gameplay into what will fit onto a single television screen without feeling like you are missing half the game. That is League's biggest strength, you follow the ball, you see all the action basically.

I was there too and would say it is def better live than on tv but don't rate it much in a viewing sense all that much.

From my viewing (TV) my immediate thought was that the live experience would have been so much better than TV. I did put this down to the production/direction of the broadcast though. You could tell that the live experience had a hyped up dramatic announcer, music, smoke blasts etc. The telly caught none of that hype or excitement/showmanship. Even after a goal, with the smoke blasting in an 'X', was not seen on TV. Like it or not, those elements are what makes that format. Instead, we had the same old commentators, waffling about which player moved to what club. This isn't a game to take seriously as a football game. It is meant to be a bit of circus fluff, and the broadcaster got none of that. It needs fun commentators/commentary and visuals of the exploding smoke, fireworks and whatever else was going on. Then, it might have some TV appeal. It could be done, but the failure I think was in production rather than the product.

From my viewing (TV) my immediate thought was that the live experience would have been so much better than TV. I did put this down to the production/direction of the broadcast though. You could tell that the live experience had a hyped up dramatic announcer, music, smoke blasts etc. The telly caught none of that hype or excitement/showmanship. Even after a goal, with the smoke blasting in an 'X', was not seen on TV. Like it or not, those elements are what makes that format. Instead, we had the same old commentators, waffling about which player moved to what club. This isn't a game to take seriously as a football game. It is meant to be a bit of circus fluff, and the broadcaster got none of that. It needs fun commentators/commentary and visuals of the exploding smoke, fireworks and whatever else was going on. Then, it might have some TV appeal. It could be done, but the failure I think was in production rather than the product.

Agree,

The commentators needed to ham it up a bit and even take the piss out of each other and the game.

They were pretty much the same old, same old boring straight guys.

Drawing a parallell to the T20 domestic cricket, this is why the transferance of the broadcast rights from 10 to Nine has pretty much drawn a collective groan in cricket circles.

The 10 coverage had just the right mix of "expert" commentary and light hearted banter whereas thye Nine guys are likely to ruin the viewing experience with their usual combination of over-serious analysis, pitch reports, boring anecdotes and sfellowing at each others boys club jokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back