Certified Legendary Thread REIMAGINE MOORABBIN (Total Raised: $10,360.25)

Remove this Banner Ad

The council wanted is to reduce the pokies by 4 to 6 for us to move to the corner of south Rd and Linton st. God knows why the number mattered. Even worse is Archie didn’t agree as we would have made money anyway in that position. Both at fault. Completely dumb and a huge waste of money. Hasn’t helped our debt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One councillor in particular was desperate to get StK out of Moorabbin & the poker machines was the crow bar.

Fraser was a hot headed scot who Butters couldn’t control thanks to his own shortcomings at the time. We tried to get into North Port, Elsternwick, the Junction and finally Frankston Park.

When they did some soil testing at Frankston they found old pipes or something that meant a new facility couldn’t be built. Seaford was about the 10th preference & the council basically gave it to the club for nothing.

I cannot wait to go to Moorabbin & see the finished product. It will be an emotional homecoming for many of us who grew up in the terraces at Linton St.

I hope the club have an open day so the faithful can be part of this monumental moment in our club’s history.

One councillor in particular was desperate to get StK out of Moorabbin & the poker machines was the crow bar.

Fraser was a hot headed scot who Butters couldn’t control thanks to his own shortcomings at the time. We tried to get into North Port, Elsternwick, the Junction and finally Frankston Park.

When they did some soil testing at Frankston they found old pipes or something that meant a new facility couldn’t be built. Seaford was about the 10th preference & the council basically gave it to the club for nothing.

I cannot wait to go to Moorabbin & see the finished product. It will be an emotional homecoming for many of us who grew up in the terraces at Linton St.

I hope the club have an open day so the faithful can be part of this monumental moment in our club’s history.

It does look great from the outside. I'm having a look inside on Tuesday so that is pretty exciting. And it was Topsey who wanted us out. The stupid thing though is we never had to go. And whilst I'm all for the club having pokies losing up to 6 was never going to bankrupt us as we were already bankrupt. That's a joke for those about to say rubbish. We just had a huge debt.

And it was Topsey who wanted us out. The stupid thing though is we never had to go. And whilst I'm all for the club having pokies losing up to 6 was never going to
plugger66....I remember thinking at the time.....why don't the club wait until the next council elections(I can't remember where we were in the election cycle then)....there was a high chance some of council members would be turned over.

Anyway....as Stavro said.......we all move on....and really....we can thank our lucky stars we are we are now.

I remember Prez saying when the return was first announced.......that he never in his wildest dreams anticipated a return to Moorabbin in the shape that it now is.

plugger66....I remember thinking at the time.....why don't the club wait until the next council elections(I can't remember where we were in the election cycle then)....there was a high chance some of council members would be turned over.

Anyway....as Stavro said.......we all move on....and really....we can thank our lucky stars we are we are now.

I remember Prez saying when the return was first announced.......that he never in his wildest dreams anticipated a return to Moorabbin in the shape that it now is.

I think the issue was the grandstands were unsafe so they had to make a decision pretty quickly. Yep its over now. Cost us plenty but we are back where we should never have left.

.Very interesting. Sounds like another exceptional venture from the club.
Spot on there lewdogs......in some areas of the AFL.......we're first out of the starting blocks....Peta Searle as the first female asst coach in the AFL......the Pride game and now this initiative.......I'm sure there's others that I have missed....GREAT STUFF !!!!!!!

I nearly fell off the chair when I saw TA standing there with Sammy.....I thought is TA doing at Moorabbin.

nah mate, you?
Grew up there.
I can point to:
The flank where Barry Davis’s face collected an elbow.
The wing where Robbie Muir went beserk against Carlton.
The pocket where Phil Carman head butted Shane Carberry.
The Social Club where Plugger laid out the GM.
The goal square fence I couldn’t jump back over after running out to congratulate Plugger on his ton.
You missed something.
That is why moving back has such strong resonance.
I hope you have an equivalent in your life somewhere.

Grew up there.
Same here sunny3193....

All of those......except can't remember the Barry Davis incident...may have been before I started going regularly.

I now get where St.C is coming from.....you had to have been going to the games there over a period of time...

The Jimmy O'Dea/John Greening incident.

Flogging Richmond by 89 points in the early 70's

Barry Breen's 300th

35,000 jamming in to watch Rexie Hunts goal umpire impersonation.

The nightmare day when Phil Carman kicked 11 for the Pies....George Young 9 for us.....we were up 24 points early in the last and still lost....Carman went beserk with a gale force wind blowing to the South rd end in the last 1/4.....

I could go on and on...but won't.

Moving back to Moorabbin holds something very special for us who went regularly for many years.

Grew up there.
I can point to:
The flank where Barry Davis’s face collected an elbow.
The wing where Robbie Muir went beserk against Carlton.
The pocket where Phil Carman head butted Shane Carberry.
The Social Club where Plugger laid out the GM.
The goal square fence I couldn’t jump back over after running out to congratulate Plugger on his ton.
You missed something.
That is why moving back has such strong resonance.
I hope you have an equivalent in your life somewhere.

subi oval. sadly the short sighted state goverment here didnt want to preserve football history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday arvo special...........

Was in Moorabbin late arvo yesterday........popped by the ground........fencing was going up around the old carpark.......which I expect will be closed soon when the balance of the Huggins stand comes down.....

The surface of the ground looks an absolute treat.

Here's some pics I took yesterday..... 20180317_163708.jpg 20180317_163714.jpg 20180317_163842.jpg 20180317_164012.jpg 20180317_164513.jpg 20180317_164519.jpg 20180317_164615.jpg 20180317_164738.jpg

Same here sunny3193....

All of those......except can't remember the Barry Davis incident...may have been before I started going regularly.

I now get where St.C is coming from.....you had to have been going to the games there over a period of time...

The Jimmy O'Dea/John Greening incident.

Flogging Richmond by 89 points in the early 70's

Barry Breen's 300th

35,000 jamming in to watch Rexie Hunts goal umpire impersonation.

The nightmare day when Phil Carman kicked 11 for the Pies....George Young 9 for us.....we were up 24 points early in the last and still lost....Carman went beserk with a gale force wind blowing to the South rd end in the last 1/4.....

I could go on and on...but won't.

Moving back to Moorabbin holds something very special for us who went regularly for many years.

Typical of the saints though is we all got certificates for Breens 300th except it was his 299th game. Luckily he played one more. Would have been a tragedy.

Typical of the saints though is we all got certificates for Breens 300th except it was his 299th game. Luckily he played one more. Would have been a tragedy.
plugger66....I've still got my certificate stashed around here somewhere.....if only it had value like a bearer bond or something.......I wish..lol.

Actually....so does Barry Breen !

I didn't realise that.....he didn't play his 300th at Moorabbin......all I remember is buying a certificate at the ground.

Was in Moorabbin late arvo yesterday........popped by the ground........fencing was going up around the old carpark.......which I expect will be closed soon when the balance of the Huggins stand comes down.....

Here's some pics I took yesterday.....View attachment 471454 View attachment 471455 View attachment 471456 View attachment 471457 View attachment 471458 View attachment 471460 View attachment 471461 View attachment 471462
It's imposing isn't it Watto!

I have the Breen certificate too, stored away somewhere.

Great pics as always!!

It's imposing isn't it Watto!
George....it looks absolutely awesome....and the complex is only half finished.

Had a chuckle when I was taking some pics of the entrance to the "high performance centre" a young lass was walking towards the door carrying a heap of folders......she said..."are you a Saints guy"....I said..."abs...olut...ely"

George....it looks absolutely awesome....and the complex is only half finished.

Had a chuckle when I was taking some pics of the entrance to the "high performance centre" a young lass was walking towards the door carrying a heap of folders......she said..."are you a Saints guy"....I said..."abs...olut...ely"
Haha...the first family day back at Moorabbin will be absolutely chockers...I cannot wait to get down there.

plugger66....I've still got my certificate stashed around here somewhere.....if only it had value like a bearer bond or something.......I wish..lol.

Actually....so does Barry Breen !

I didn't realise that.....he didn't play his 300th at Moorabbin......all I remember is buying a certificate at the ground.

I know I have the certificate somewhere and it says we played Footscray but that was actually his 299th game. Just found 2 other certificates then, some pledge certificate for the southern saints so become a power in the AFL and the last game at Moorabbin certificate. Also found a piece of paper signed by Nicky and Plugger on the night plugger won the brownlow when he turned up at the Moorabbin social club around 1am. That was night I will never forget. Had the brownlow around my neck. I wish we had I phones back then.

Here's some pics I took yesterday.....View attachment 471454 View attachment 471455 View attachment 471456 View attachment 471457 View attachment 471458 View attachment 471460 View attachment 471461 View attachment 471462

Good to Gerry Ryan’s name there too

Also found a piece of paper signed by Nicky and Plugger on the night plugger won the brownlow when he turned up at the Moorabbin social club around 1am. That was night I will never forget. Had the brownlow around my neck. I wish we had I phones back then.
plugger66....that would have been an absolutely amazing night/experience.

Not our fault. They changed the way they counted games retrospectively. If they played a state game and missed a club game it would count to total games.

So at the time it was his 300th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back