Toast Crowden - extends until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong I don't mind his game, provided some good pressure and had a few moments where his obvious talent stood out (that 55m bomb was pretty impressive) but can't overlook the fact he was probably our worst out there.
I don't know about that , if it wasn't for Brayshaw and Cerra having such good debut games we would be singing his praises for leading the game for pressure acts.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind his game, provided some good pressure and had a few moments where his obvious talent stood out (that 55m bomb was pretty impressive) but can't overlook the fact he was probably our worst out there.

I would have used our least great player out there.
In a game where the entire team played well he was solid especially as he was a debutant. Probably better than Cerra but we already agree Mitch’s game was good.

I don't know about that , if it wasn't for Brayshaw and Cerra having such good debut games we would be singing his praises for leading the game for pressure acts.

It’s all opinions isn’t it ? I think Mitch and Bailey were the best of the 4 kids out there.
They were all impressive though.

His first quarter was absolutely shocking. He may not have directly turned them over on all occasions, but he was involved in turning the ball over to give Essendon their first 3 goals of the match.

After the first quarter though he settled, and was definitely a positive with his pressure after that. I hope we persist with him. It was his first match, being off the pace wasn't entirely unexpected.

His first quarter was absolutely shocking. He may not have directly turned them over on all occasions, but he was involved in turning the ball over to give Essendon their first 3 goals of the match.

After the first quarter though he settled, and was definitely a positive with his pressure after that. I hope we persist with him. It was his first match, being off the pace wasn't entirely unexpected.

I’m gonna rewatch that 1st qtr now because that isn’t how I recall it.

I’m gonna rewatch that 1st qtr now because that isn’t how I recall it.

He definitely made some blunders in the quarter. He couldn't gather the ball on the wing when in space and then was given HTB which led to Smith's first goal if I remember correctly. Then for memory he tried a handball over his head in the forward line which lead to a turnover. And then another HTB at half forward while he was still getting adjusted to the pace.

Think he settled well in the second half though and hopefully he plays well this week if selected.

I would have used our least great player out there.
In a game where the entire team played well he was solid especially as he was a debutant. Probably better than Cerra but we already agree Mitch’s game was good.

And Freo last year were the 5th least great team in the league. We rightly give him more room to fail things because he’s young but if a player like Ballantyne had gone out there and played his game (particularly in the first half) we’d be a lot tougher on him.

Regardless we both want him in the team so I agree it’s all semantics.

I know it’s your opinion but it’s ****ed.
What you are effectively saying is Crowden was involved in their goals because he was out on the ground.
The driver of John F Kennedy’s vehicle was involved in the Assassination because he was driving the car..... Nah.

He fumbled a couple of times to a bouncing ball that got turned over for a goal.
Handballed over his head once that got turned over.
Got caught HB.

But he improved markedly after that

The 1 st one he intercepted an Essendon kick and was scrambling on the ground to knock it out and they all laid on him.
The 2 nd there were several possessions after Mitch’s attempted handball to Langdon. After that Johnson missed the tackle, Pearce missed a spoil chance and Brayshaw was too late to get the intercept.
The 3rd goal , there were 4 kicks after him and Alex Pearce got turned inside out on the boundary then Sandi wasn’t fast enough to tackle the guy in the square as he kicked it.

I know it’s your opinion but it’s ******.
What you are effectively saying is Crowden was involved in their goals because he was out on the ground.
The driver of John F Kennedy’s vehicle was involved in the Assassination because he was driving the car..... Nah.
Essendon's first goal: Crowden dives on the ball. HTB, free kick to Parish, Devon Smith in tonnes of space runs into the 50 and scores. Needless holding the ball as well, could've tapped it out to a team-mate.
Essendon's second goal: odd looking, rushed handball over his shoulder to Langdon in the middle of the ground who fumble's/is tackled right away. Turnover. Inside 50 by McKenna to Daniher (spoilt by Pearce), Green crumbs and kicks to Begley who takes a shot from 40 and scores.
Essendon's 3rd goal: Crowden caught holding the ball. Within 3 kicks the ball is in the goal square where Bellchambers beats Sandilands to it and goals.

I am not saying he was fully responsible, but all of those goals were in part due to him being slightly off the pace. I don't remember him doing anything wrong for the rest of the match, but that's the type of quarter which is why most of us want Sutcliffe and Pearce out of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying he was fully responsible, but all of those goals were in part due to him being slightly off the pace. I don't remember him doing anything wrong for the rest of the match, but that's the type of quarter which is why most of us want Sutcliffe and Pearce out of the team.
Cut him some slack, he was 10 mins into his career, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Sutcliffe (101 games) or Pearce (256).

I can't believe Sutcliffe has played 101 games. Would of been given up on and delisted after 20 games at any other club in the competition. Shows how far being good friends with Fyfe and sucking up to RTB gets you.

Cut him some slack, he was 10 mins into his career, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Sutcliffe (101 games) or Pearce (256).

I wouldn't even consider dropping him.
Wouldn't think they would mark him down much for those mistakes.
The rest of his game was great for a n00b

He was understandably nervous at the start of the match but picked it up as the match went on. I'd like to think the coaching staff would keep him in and see how he improves in his second game.
I think he's an improved/younger Ballantyne with far more ability in the midfield albeit less of a goalsneak.

I think your side will name Tucker and Crowden today .
So this is Meima?
You traitorous bastard ;)

Melaka... I went to a place on the beach there a fair few years back, sort of a square open air restaurant (it was basically just a roof with some wooden poles holding it up) on the beach itself, with a barbecue and a bar in the middle... 40RM all you can eat sort of deal. The boats would pull up on the shore about 20m away, unload, and then head back out. Seafood catch was taken straight to the barbie. So when they said straight from the boat to the barbecue, they weren't kidding.
Best seafood I've ever had. Best restaurant I've ever been to.

Probably not there anymore.

I did cut him slack in my original post. I was just backing up how off the pace he was.
The response I'm getting is just like the one time I criticised Barlow. Guess I can't criticise any player who isn't a scapegoat on this board then.

Considering we had near on our best team on the park (not too many injuries), and he is a late pick in the most recent draft, I would be disappointed if he wasn't the worst player on our team in his first game!
The fact that he got better as the game progressed is excellent.

Definitely think this week will be Tucker in and Hill out as the only change.

I can't believe Sutcliffe has played 101 games. Would of been given up on and delisted after 20 games at any other club in the competition. Shows how far being good friends with Fyfe and sucking up to RTB gets you.
Dumb. Go back and read any thread about Sutty between 2013 and 2014, he was excellent those years. I'm not sure what's hindered his development from there, but that doesnt take away from the games he played.

Even if hes delisted at this end of this year (and he should be), I think he can hold his head high as hes carved out a bloody decent career from someone selected at pick #71

Although Crowden didn't set the world alight in his debut game, I still take some positives out of it;
- As mentioned by Kepfan ...
leading the game for pressure acts.
Crowden's intensity and effort was excellent. With experience, he will learn to balance that to reduce the risk of turnovers.
- I suspect Ross has been impressed by Crowden's training, hence his debut in Round 2. That really is an excellent achievement for an 18 year old drafted with pick 59. (NB: So far in 2018, the only 18year old debuts are, in draft order; 1 Rayner BL, 2 Brayshaw FR, 3 Dow CA, 4 LDU NM, 5 Cerra FR, 7 Clark SK, 9 Naughton WB, 12 Fogarty AD and 16 Richards WB)
- I thought I was going to have too wait patiently to see him debut hopefully sometime in 2018 ... a round 2 debut is worth celebrating and I reckon he's a very good chance to play again round 3.

Dumb. Go back and read any thread about Sutty between 2013 and 2014, he was excellent those years. I'm not sure what's hindered his development from there, but that doesnt take away from the games he played.

Even if hes delisted at this end of this year (and he should be), I think he can hold his head high as hes carved out a bloody decent career from someone selected at pick #71

In those early years he was named a sub often but he generally got a midfield role which he is suited to.
Then to seemingly get him into the side, Ross then played Cam and Tommy at half back. It then went south.
Cam was a reliable kick and still would be effective on a wing but we now have better options there.

I know it’s your opinion but it’s ******.
Careful Fred. The driver was implicated in a far fetched conspiracy theory, not because he was the driver...because he was the shooter!
His name was William Robert Greer.

Sutcliffe was really good in 2013-2015. He defended well, was a good kick, pretty tough and hard at it and provided run from defense.

There's no explanation for his drop of form from 2016 onwards other than a drop in confidence. He started mis-kicking more, dropping marks and most importantly slipping over in contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back