Preview A Noir Night At The Pineapple: Brisbane Lions V Gold Coast Suns - Round 5 @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think Oscar will play this week. Gold Coast only have Witts so I’d imagine our brains trust would be happy to have Stef go head to head with him. Either way Oscar is getting closer to getting a game.
It certainly appears as though he has moved ahead of Archie, which is great for competition. Not sure where this leaves Archie though.

Not a joke at all. Stats are just stats. Every player on our list playing NEAFL now has been given detailed information as to what they need to improve on to get into the Senior 22. I have no doubt that Ben has been given details as to where he falls short and what he needs to do to be promoted. As it stands now, Ben has not addressed those areas of his game & he will continue to play NEAFL until he adjusts accordingly. I understand the point you make above BUT, its a team game and being a team game, you need to contribute in a way that best suits the team plan. I have little doubt he will do that & I am sure we will all see Ben play seniors sooner rather than later.
Well said...warrants more than a like!

You mean the guys that got 51 touches and 4.1 goals in two games (strictly better), 33 touches and 2 goals in one game (strictly better), and 29 disposals and 2 behinds in one game (better disposals, worse goalkicking)?

The guy who had 29 and 2 behinds would be better suited working at a butcher shop. Keayes has oodles on him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems to me that the story of our season so far has been patches of incredible team football interchanged with patches of total team on-field dysfunction.

In light of that, I'm really finding all this emotional hyper-focus on certain individual players to be so far removed from what our priorities need to be right now, as though there is some magic combination of the 20th-22nd players selected that will instantly make us world beaters.

This is compounded by seemingly a total absence of discussion of the particular roles these players are required to fill and what boxes they are required to tick on and off field. There is a reason for this of course. We don't have access to that information. That's fine, and I'm not against meaningful debate, but perhaps people should factor that in, understand that the coaching staff are privy to way more information than us, and temper the absolute certainty in which they write off particular players and suggest alternative career paths for them.

The guy who had 29 and 2 behinds would be better suited working at a butcher shop. Keayes has oodles on him.

So what about the other two? Given you brought up stats to support your case, why is Keays a better choice than them?

So what about the other two? Given you brought up stats to support your case, why is Keays a better choice than them?
From what I can see Keays has been playing a small forward role in the twos, with some short stints in the midfield. To take The Brown Dog's excellent suggestion above, it would mean dropping Cameron or Bundy to give Keays a game. Clearly not warranted. As I've suggested elsewhere, the difference between player 15 and player 35 on our list is not that great, if for arguments sake it was possible to rank them like that.

I agree with your post, Keays stats for the NEAFL are not overwhelming... and don't compare favourably with our former academy player, Jack Rolls, who is the rising star for this week. Michael Barlow (Suns) had 46 disposals and 10 clearances, to take just one example.

Boys, I'm in Ben Keayes corner to come in to the forward mid role. He's got a bright future and I've seen two games in Melbourne and been embarrassed at the disposal of players especially forward of midfield. We miss players on the lead, shots at goal, easy marking opportunities, it's literally embarrassing. Stkilda v Brisbane was a horrible game, could have won but could have lost by a lot more. And stkilda a form has stood up, they are bad!! Ben Keayes has had 50+ possessions in two games and kicked 4 straight playing forward of midfield. He also kicked a couple in the last game of the preseason when the ball was not going down there. He was asked his opportunities forward of the ball and can play midfield inside and outside off required and is wasting the start of this season in the twos while Lester bell Bewick and probably now Bastinac get an opportunity ahead of him. None of those players will feature in our future... that's my argument !!!!!

Boys, I'm in Ben Keayes corner to come in to the forward mid role. He's got a bright future and I've seen two games in Melbourne and been embarrassed at the disposal of players especially forward of midfield. We miss players on the lead, shots at goal, easy marking opportunities, it's literally embarrassing. Stkilda v Brisbane was a horrible game, could have won but could have lost by a lot more. And stkilda a form has stood up, they are bad!! Ben Keayes has had 50+ possessions in two games and kicked 4 straight playing forward of midfield. He also kicked a couple in the last game of the preseason when the ball was not going down there. He was asked his opportunities forward of the ball and can play midfield inside and outside off required and is wasting the start of this season in the twos while Lester bell Bewick and probably now Bastinac get an opportunity ahead of him. None of those players will feature in our future... that's my argument !!!!!
Sure, I get what you're saying, but it's not really the role that Bewick or Lester have been playing. Maybe Bell first week, but that's about it. Anyway you will enjoy it when he is selected.

Apologies for the intrusion. I'm not up to speed but how is Hodgey going for you? I saw Damien Barrett giving him a bit of a dig so thought he might be having a slow start or struggling in a new team.

Apologies for the intrusion. I'm not up to speed but how is Hodgey going for you? I saw Damien Barrett giving him a bit of a dig so thought he might be having a slow start or struggling in a new team.

We’re conceding 2 less goals a week this season. How much of that is due to Hodge it’s hard to tell. But yeah our backline seems better organised and more effective.

He was very good in the first three rounds, then had a shocker like the rest of the team last week and then the media piled on.

Same old s**t.

Cheers for the replies. I thought he'd be a really good on-field coach for your young guys so glad that he's passing on that experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve May is gonna have a bloody field day on sunday intercepting everything, we need to play another key fwd with eric can see us struggling to kick more than 5 goals this week

Good stuff keeping bailey in aswell

Suns by 42

Suns made a couple of big changes with Hall and Kolodjashnij dropped for Rosa and Lonergan.

Who is going to be relief ruck?
Bit baffling that one. Lester to go back... McStay to go on the ball... Wouldn't like to see Eric rucking in the centre square, in the forward line is probably okay. Still think Walker is a bit stiff, the only one who looks like taking contested marks, and his rucking is serviceable...

It looks like a forward line named for wet conditions. Surely Walker is a late in if the rain doesn’t eventuate.

You still need tall forwards in wet conditions. It was always on the cards that we’d go for a more mobile forwardline. Maybe Lester or Allison will play as a tall forward. Or McStay plays forward. The biggest question, as you posted earlier, who does the relief ruck work?

A win here won't be an indicator of improvement.We've won these clashes over the years but only because they are the Suns and then continued on to be a rabble.With that said I hope some of the boys get a good Gatorade dousing on Sunday.

Who is going to be relief ruck?
McStay.
Its time for Dan to stand up now. He's 23 years old, played 62 games, now in his 5th year with the Lions. If there is no significant improvement in him going forward from this game, I seriously think he may be on the outer. Now is his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back