Preview A Noir Night At The Pineapple: Brisbane Lions V Gold Coast Suns - Round 5 @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Bastinac gets another chance in the seniors after the form he showed last year.
He will sooner or later. Fagan is all about chances, or that's my impression.

I will be surprised if Walker is dropped. I think given the opportunities he's been good... and I can't see McStay doing as well as a forward/ruck. My gut feeling is 2 or 3 changes at most. At this stage I'd think McStay and Lester as ins... or McStay and Bastinac... with McStay to play down back. Also I think we need Walker as an option to go to Lynch or Day if things go badly. Could even start on either of them.

We still have this ongoing issue: Guys get dropped, go back to NEAFL, rack up 30+ touches and a few goals then get brought back in 2-3 weeks later expecting to, and then failing, to replicate that form.

The NEAFL is holding us back. Why isnt Sydney having the same issues?
NEAFL has changed this year with 12 games against AFL clubs and 6 against other sides, and we've already lost to one local team. Doesn't seem very different to the VFL, were there is also the problem of lopsided games at times. It's just development, which takes time, no point blaming the NEAFL when it's improving. If Zorko developed in a weaker NEAFL than we have now, then anyone can. Any issues are with the players, not the comp.

Let's be rebels...play them all.
With 3 or 4 extra players on our team we'd be sure to win.

Go Lions!!

Here's a story...

I once played in the DDAFL for the South Toowoomba Longhorns and we didn't win many games.

In one match the umpires were annoyed at the time wasting at the breaks and threatened to start the game regardless as to whether the teams were on the field.

True to his word, he did this and fortunately the majority of my team were present. At the siren our opponents came rushing out of their shed. Even with the numerical advantage we had we still struggled to score a goal such were our skills.

Now, back to the serious preview chat....
My apologies.

No Keayes in this week, selectors kidding themselves. 4 losses no sign of a game, his manager will b working the phones this week getting ready to find him new home for next year!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

50 touches and 4 goals in two weeks, can't even get his name in the squad, Bastinac and Lester and Barret, first look in, what a joke!

Not a joke at all. Stats are just stats. Every player on our list playing NEAFL now has been given detailed information as to what they need to improve on to get into the Senior 22. I have no doubt that Ben has been given details as to where he falls short and what he needs to do to be promoted. As it stands now, Ben has not addressed those areas of his game & he will continue to play NEAFL until he adjusts accordingly. I understand the point you make above BUT, its a team game and being a team game, you need to contribute in a way that best suits the team plan. I have little doubt he will do that & I am sure we will all see Ben play seniors sooner rather than later.

Not a joke at all. Stats are just stats. Every player on our list playing NEAFL now has been given detailed information as to what they need to improve on to get into the Senior 22. I have no doubt that Ben has been given details as to where he falls short and what he needs to do to be promoted. As it stands now, Ben has not addressed those areas of his game & he will continue to play NEAFL until he adjusts accordingly. I understand the point you make above BUT, its a team game and being a team game, you need to contribute in a way that best suits the team plan. I have little doubt he will do that & I am sure we will all see Ben play seniors sooner rather than later.
One thing that Ben does not lack is determination, he will get there.
He is the last bloke that would be looking elsewhere, i would have thought.

50 touches and 4 goals in two weeks, can't even get his name in the squad, Bastinac and Lester and Barret, first look in, what a joke!

It took til 1am but we have our first selection melt.

I like keays I dare say he has probably been given defensive things to work on, so no point quoting stats from the NEAFL

One thing that Ben does not lack is determination, he will get there.
He is the last bloke that would be looking elsewhere, i would have thought.

Yup. Ben's a good kid. Got some stuff to work on - hey, what youngster doesn't. I'm confident he'll attack his program diligently and have his name in the seniors in short order.

I look at how Keays is progressing and how Tom Mirchell progressed and it is eerily similar. Tom played something like 18 games in his first three years at the Swans and didn't even play a full season in his fourth year. His fifth year is when he was a permanent cog in the middle and he hasn't looked back since.

It is so easy to forget it really isn't uncommon to take 4 or 5 years as a mid to come on and cement a spot. High end talent like McCluggage and Berry being the exceptions, most mids need time to build fitness, build their skills and ultimately build their confidence. I reckon Keays will make it, and think what's holding him back is confidence which will come with maturity. Play the game of patience with young Ben.

You mean the guys that got 51 touches and 4.1 goals in two games (strictly better), 33 touches and 2 goals in one game (strictly better), and 29 disposals and 2 behinds in one game (better disposals, worse goalkicking)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am guessing to extra players named is because of possible weather allowing options if its wet ??

Here's a story...

I once played in the DDAFL for the South Toowoomba Longhorns and we didn't win many games.

In one match the umpires were annoyed at the time wasting at the breaks and threatened to start the game regardless as to whether the teams were on the field.

True to his word, he did this and fortunately the majority of my team were present. At the siren our opponents came rushing out of their shed. Even with the numerical advantage we had we still struggled to score a goal such were our skills.

Now, back to the serious preview chat....
My apologies.
Small world, I’m the guy who kicked that goal.

Good thing the guys were still in the shed after that first air swing.
It was comical, we had no opposition and still almost butchered it.

Small world, I’m the guy who kicked that goal.

That same situation happened to my team once. We were getting smashed and the opposition was very late to the field so they bounced it. Our team had an easy stroll to the goal and some idiot midfielder took a pun from 40 and missed. We absolutely slammed him for it. That midfield group was the most selfish I'd ever played with. I won my divisions best and fairest off the back flank the year before and there was absolutely nothing I could do that year to negate the ball coming in. Of course back then it was man on man with the occasional extra player back.

It was comical, we had no opposition and still almost butchered it.
Would have been better if you kicked a point and then got them pinged for taking too long to take the kick in. 7 point play.

I have coached sides were kids have tripped over cones in training. Can't even beat the witches hats.

Would have been better if you kicked a point and then got them pinged for taking too long to take the kick in. 7 point play.

I have coached sides were kids have tripped over cones in training. Can't even beat the witches hats.
We lost by over 100 so I don’t think an extra point would have made us feel better about ourselves. I’m glad we didn’t have witches hats, they would have provided a challenge I doubt we could have overcome.

Allison for Mayes
Basti for Matho
Mcstay for Bailey.

Suns have Day and Lynch up forward so we need two key defenders. Be disappointed if Walker is dropped as we have struggled to have a target to kick to.

Last edited:
We lost by over 100 so I don’t think an extra point would have made us feel better about ourselves. I’m glad we didn’t have witches hats, they would have provided a challenge I doubt we could have overcome.
I once played in a side that lost 201 to nil. I feel your pain.

Allison for Mayes
Basti for Matho
Mcstay for Bailey.

Suns have Day and Lynch up forward so we need two key defenders. Be disappointed if Walker is dropped as we have struggled to have a target to kick to.
For me Bailey will stay for at least this game. Bewick, Mayes, Matho & Walker out. Don't think Walker really provides a target to kick to in most games thus far. In fact, even if he does provide a target, we just butcher the ball any way we can to make it impossible for anyone to take a grab. Our keys have the toughest job in the business IMO.

I don’t think Oscar will play this week. Gold Coast only have Witts so I’d imagine our brains trust would be happy to have Stef go head to head with him. Either way Oscar is getting closer to getting a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back