Preview 2018 ~ Round 9, Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree more Nunez:thumbsu:. Whether it is this week or in the ensuing weeks I would love to see Sam get a good run at playing that role at AFL level. IIRC wasn't he originally moved back under Leppa to work on the defensive aspects of his game with a view to eventually going back up the ground?

According to those in the know on this board he prefers it. But he seems to only be an average back flanker. It might come down to if he wants to try and hold down a spot at half back or try his hand up the field.

Couldn't agree more Nunez:thumbsu:. Whether it is this week or in the ensuing weeks I would love to see Sam get a good run at playing that role at AFL level. IIRC wasn't he originally moved back under Leppa to work on the defensive aspects of his game with a view to eventually going back up the ground?

To be fair to his move into defense - he had all the attributes to be a very good half back (and showed that last season) but he hasn't taken another step and in fact regressed. Sometimes a refresh and new position that may be more natural can be the making of players. Time will tell.

Was trying to think of his strengths the other day; he's a consistent kick, not all that damaging but reliable, and his contested marking was reasonably good.

After a few seasons I'd say his defending was average but he's not really suited to quick forwards or tall forwards. Offensively he can be very good however I think he struggles to make a choice of when to defend and when to leave his man.

To be his age and to be out of the wooden spooners means his career is at the cross roads. Hopefully he responds.

To be fair to his move into defense - he had all the attributes to be a very good half back (and showed that last season) but he hasn't taken another step and in fact regressed. Sometimes a refresh and new position that may be more natural can be the making of players. Time will tell.
We held up alright defensively without Rich and Mayes in the backline. Infact our defensive scores against have gone backwards in the last 2 weeks since Rich has been back.
I think it is time for them both to make a move further up the ground.
If Rich moves back into the midfield it might free Zorko a little whilst also having him closer to goal to swing around on that booming left boot of his.
He is a match winner when he is kicking goals.

We held up alright defensively without Rich and Mayes in the backline. Infact our defensive scores against have gome backwards in the last 2 weeks since Rich has been back.
I think it is yime for them both to make a move further up the ground.
If Rich moves back into the midfield it mighe free Zorko a little whilst also having him vloser to goal to swing around on that booming left boot of his.

Eagles was also a part of that defence.

Oh yeah sorry!
I forgot we were on the Eagles beating band wagon.
Rich definitely adds more to the team than Eagles, I will agree with you there.

It was just a strange inclusion at the time given how well the backline was playing. Although I think the increased scores against in the last 2 weeks had more to do with how the midfield was playing.

We held up alright defensively without Rich and Mayes in the backline. Infact our defensive scores against have gone backwards in the last 2 weeks since Rich has been back.
I think it is time for them both to make a move further up the ground.
If Rich moves back into the midfield it might free Zorko a little whilst also having him closer to goal to swing around on that booming left boot of his.
He is a match winner when he is kicking goals.

I'm not necessarily opposed to moving one or both further afield but I think that its a bit of a leap to suggest that our ability to stop scores has declined because Rich has returned in defence. As weird as it sounds, I'm not sure the defenders' ability to defend is actually that big a part of your ability to stop scores - eg, if your press works well, the defenders shouldn't spend all that much time in the defensive half, if your team retains the footy, it has less exposure to be scored against.

It was just a strange inclusion at the time given how well the backline was playing. Although I think the increased scores against in the last 2 weeks had more to do with how the midfield was playing.
It is the turn overs that are killing us, for sure.

I'm not necessarily opposed to moving one or both further afield but I think that its a bit of a leap to suggest that our ability to stop scores has declined because Rich has returned in defence. As weird as it sounds, I'm not sure the defenders' ability to defend is actually that big a part of your ability to stop scores - eg, if your press works well, the defenders shouldn't spend all that much time in the defensive half, if your team retains the footy, it has less exposure to be scored against.
I agree,
All i am saying is that i don't think we would lose anything defensively by him moving further afield. But i think we would gain more from an experience sense inparticular with him in the middle.

I'm only 3/4 through watching the dogs game for the first time. But for mine only 1 change this week

Christensen for Mayes

The young guys seem to really be coming on nicely we need to just keep them playing together, they make mistakes but the senior guys are making just as many.

Only other outs I wanna see would be if someone's getting rested

I agree,
All i am saying is that i don't think we would lose anything defensively by him moving further afield. But i think we would gain more from an experience sense inparticular with him in the middle.
In the past, Rich’s defensive running has been an issue. He just struggles to cover the ground as a midfielder should.

Where to play Rich has been a neverending debate and I don’t think there are easy solutions. When he’s playing well, he more than makes up for his weaknesses. When he’s not on song, his weaknesses are amplified. I think that’s true irrespective of whether he plays forward, midfield or defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, another way of looking at it would be to place your best ball movers/suppliers to work out of the defensive half. Been doing it for over 20 years, Blight sent McLeod, Matthews moved Lappin, Clarkson moved Hodge, Geelong even sent Jimmy Bartel back at times, ALL of them elite midfielders/ball movers - as POBT said, it's not always the defenders' role/ability to defend. To paraphrase Jack Dyer, the other team can't score if you've got the ball.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-17/mitchell-lewis-and-hodge-face-off-at-last
IN A TEAM selection that will bring joy to sports headline writers around Australia, Mitchell Lewis will make his debut for Hawthorn on Sunday afternoon at the Gabba against Brisbane.

It means Mitchell Lewis and (Luke) Hodge will be on the same field once again.

But there is no romance behind the selection. Lewis, who stands 198cm and weighs in at 92kg, has been in great touch for Box Hill all season, and against Casey last weekend he finished with four goals, 10 disposals and four tackles. He has been bashing down the door for a few weeks.

Might be a good matchup for Eagles

Keays, Barrett, Walker and Mayes on the extended bench

JoM out injured for them

Based off the selections I wouldn't expect any changes.

The bench- Josh Walker, Ben Keays, Matt Eagles, Zac Bailey, Nick Robertson, Sam Mayes, Jake Barrett, Oscar McInerney.

I'm thinking that two of Walker, Eagles and McInerney will miss out, I'd like to see Sam Mayes come in and I'm not a big fan of Jake Barrett.

Can someone explain to me what Christensen and Rich add to this team?

be better off with 16 people on the field with the amount of effort and defence they bring

Can someone explain to me what Christensen and Rich add to this team?

be better off with 16 people on the field with the amount of effort and defence they bring
I am bullish on what Christensen can bring to our team in the long term although I agree he has been quite ordinary of late. Disagree on Rich, when in form he brings a lot to our side, he does occasionally shirk contests though which is not a good look, his consistency through a season leaves a little bit to be desired as well.

No way could Walker come in for McInerney unless McInerney needs to be managed or is injured.

I was the game on the weekend and he was exceptional.. and it isn't like Walker has been doing anything in the NEAFL to warrant selection anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back