Preview 2018 ~ Round 9, Brisbane Lions vs Hawthorn, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see any changes. I think part of the strategy to fix first quarter results is start with most experienced 18 hence why Bailey big O and eagles on bench.

Which is only ever a turnover away.
Such is the mystical clarity/fog of stats, the hawks have actually had more clangers than the Lions this year.

In column B, their DE% is also higher than ours. [something, something, average clangers per disposal. /wink]

I kinda hate it when they announce an extended bench like this when there are no supposed injury clouds. It's like saying, "our team will be picked from our list" without really committing to anyone. Gee we are the bottom team with the least number of injuries in the league, it's not like we can pull a surprise, just name the dam team.

I like your sentiments Clarky..
Just name the damn team!!

Not sure what to make of this match as I haven't seen Hawks play this year apart from knowing their ladder position. Hope the Lions can maintain their effort and endeavour.
I thought a couple of players may have been rested and bring others in to energise the team.

I kinda hate it when they announce an extended bench like this when there are no supposed injury clouds. It's like saying, "our team will be picked from our list" without really committing to anyone. Gee we are the bottom team with the least number of injuries in the league, it's not like we can pull a surprise, just name the dam team.

Well that's just AFL rules, all the Sunday games name an extended bench, if just to annoy the fantasy players.

I like your sentiments Clarky..
Just name the damn team!!

Not sure what to make of this match as I haven't seen Hawks play this year apart from knowing their ladder position. Hope the Lions can maintain their effort and endeavour.
I thought a couple of players may have been rested and bring others in to energise the team.
Our last month has been pretty ordinary i think the Lions are a big chance this week.

Because we play Sunday don't we have a light training run on Friday (Today), therefore a possibility of an injury.
Just covering our bases I would think.
Unless of course we don't train today then I'm with you , what is the point , name the team.

The extended bench gives us an insight into the players the selectors see improvement from. It's a bit of encouragement for the guys working their butts off. Reward for effort.

I'm sure they get that from the coaches all the time, but a bit of public acknowledgement goes a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see Mayes and Walker in, but worry that after we get pumped their whipping boy status will be reconfirmed to the mob and calls will start for them to be immediately dropped. We need Mayes in and hopefully playing with aggression and Walker should be our FF

I would love to see Mayes and Walker in, but worry that after we get pumped their whipping boy status will be reconfirmed to the mob and calls will start for them to be immediately dropped. We need Mayes in and hopefully playing with aggression and Walker should be our FF

Given Oscar is currently playing in Walker's "spot", what do you feel Walker brings that Oscar doesn't as he'd likely have to be dropped to let Walker in?

Given Oscar is currently playing in Walker's "spot", what do you feel Walker brings that Oscar doesn't as he'd likely have to be dropped to let Walker in?
I would play them both. Play Hipwood on HFF or Wing. Play Ocsar deep and have Walker leading out of the goal square. Everybody else at their feet / sneaking into space.
Out of all of the brilliant new players on our list and those coming through, Oscar McInerney really has me excited. Tall, robust, good hands and a great kick. He can also Ruck in the forward 50, which takes pressure off Stef and there is the option of an on field rotation that might pinch a goal or two if Stef goes forward.

Maybe my thinking is a little bit 1980's but it is worth a shot. I look at Oscar and think Matt Rendell

I would play them both. Play Hipwood on HFF or Wing. Play Ocsar deep and have Walker leading out of the goal square. Everybody else at their feet / sneaking into space.
Out of all of the brilliant new players on our list and those coming through, Oscar McInerney really has me excited. Tall, robust, good hands and a great kick. He can also Ruck in the forward 50, which takes pressure off Stef and there is the option of an on field rotation that might pinch a goal or two if Stef goes forward.

Maybe my thinking is a little bit 1980's but it is worth a shot. I look at Oscar and think Matt Rendell
So you leave out McStay then?

Because we play Sunday don't we have a light training run on Friday (Today), therefore a possibility of an injury.
Just covering our bases I would think.
Unless of course we don't train today then I'm with you , what is the point , name the team.
Of course, there's every chance the selectors haven't decided yet. Why not take as long as you can to lock it in? What if one of your opponent's key talls pulls out today? We might make a change based on that too.
We can always sub in an emergency to replace a named player with a mystery illness, I guess, in which case, why name a team at all? Just turn up or tune in on Sunday, and all will be revealed.

Interchange and would play back. Don't ask me who I would drop. I'm not in the mood for an internet war.

Well we do only have 22 spots in the team and fewer spots in the forward line and I feel like Oscar produces both better rucking and forward line work than Walker so far. Bringing Walker in and moving Hipwood and/or McStay out reduces the forward line's mobility and defensive pressure. It's all a trade off so I was curious what you were willing to give up in order to bring in Walker.

Josh Walker needs to get back into the side to show he's worth persevering with, time running out, OOC at the end of the season.

I think he still has something to offer as the big body until the younger guys take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back