Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything was conspiring against me getting to the game yesterday. I woke up feeling pretty crook and seeing as I was driving down from Toowoomba I questioned whether it was worthwhile making the trip. I then reminded myself that you don’t purchase memberships just to watch games on TV so I saddled up and headed off.

The drive down was interrupted at Plainlands when I had to pull over and empty the contents of my stomach, this was the first time I considered turning around and going home but I figured I was halfway there so I may as well continue.

The rest of the drive went by without incident until I hit Ipswich Road, I got a flat tyre. I only had one of those stupid space saver tyres as a spare and you can’t drive over 80km/h with them on so the drive back to Toowoomba was going to be a slow one. This was the second time I considered turning around and heading home but I figured I’d come this far, I may as well continue on.

It was at this stage I began to have serious concerns about the game, everything that had happened seemed to indicate that I just shouldn’t be at the Gabba. It felt like God was sending me signs that I was in for a world of pain caused by another heartbreaking Lions loss.

Fast forward a few hours and I walked out of the Gabba feeling a million bucks. Yes it was a long drive home but it was the most enjoyable one that I’ve had as I replayed the match over and over again in my mind.

God I love our club.

I would expect nothing more from you Reardo..

I also think it was a poor performance by Clarkson in the coaching box. I don't mean to take anything away from Fages and co because we were coached equally as well but - we are pretty easy to stop if you take some simple measures. You just cannot let us get our overlap going. Almost every other team has hung back and made sure there was always a number behind the ball because we are very hard to stop once we get our tail up. The Dees played 2 even 3 behind the ball for a lot of the game the dogs last week made sure every long kick down the line or inside 50 we were outnumbered and or there were players goal side. Teams know if you just clog our backline and keep even numbers (even at the expense of your numbers forward) that you will inevitably beat us one on one or at ground level or we will kick it to you. They gave us everything we wanted especially through the corridor. It was a path of very little resistance at times and they let us constantly get goal side, the Swans won't be allowing that to occur, not for a second and that's when Guys like Hipwood need to find a way.
I think this has changed with Big O in the side. We actually have players we can get a 1 on 1. Not 3 vs Hipwood.

Just wondering if one of you fine gentleman/ladies could point me in the direction of a replay. Can't find squat anywhere.
You can get Foxtel Play/Now streaming for $39 (basic package + sport) on your PC/tablet/mobile. And you can watch all the games on replay for a week anytime you want.

PS No lock-in contract

Last edited:

Finally got to sit down and watch the replay. I don't think I can recall us playing that well since probably 2009. It was an extremely well rounded game from our forwards, mids and backs. McCluggage in particular was unbelievable. He reminds me of Blacky.

Does Witherden go back to being favourite now?
Doedee at 3.50, then Witherden at 4.50 (Sportsbet)

Witherden was a star last year. This year, either he isn't quite hitting those heights, or my expectations have just grown substantially based on his huge 2017... I'd have said that he was probably our most consistent debutant last year, but of second year players, I have both McCluggage and Berry ahead of him this year. Still, absolutely solid best 22, which is no mean feat given he's played a grand total of 18 games. Pretty crazy to think McCluggage, Berry and Witho are all just second year players. Who would you say our best rising star eligible player would be though? Witho or Rayner? Probably Witho, but it'd be close...

In other betting news, which I find interesting for the implications (given these are the guys putting their money where their mouths are), Lions are NOT the favourite for the spoon.
Spoon favourites are: Carlton @ 1.57, St Kilda @ 4.00, and then Brisbane at 5.00

Doedee at 3.50, then Witherden at 4.50 (Sportsbet)

Witherden was a star last year. This year, either he isn't quite hitting those heights, or my expectations have just grown substantially based on his huge 2017... I'd have said that he was probably our most consistent debutant last year, but of second year players, I have both McCluggage and Berry ahead of him this year. Still, absolutely solid best 22, which is no mean feat given he's played a grand total of 18 games. Pretty crazy to think McCluggage, Berry and Witho are all just second year players. Who would you say our best rising star eligible player would be though? Witho or Rayner? Probably Witho, but it'd be close...

In other betting news, which I find interesting for the implications (given these are the guys putting their money where their mouths are), Lions are NOT the favourite for the spoon.
Spoon favourites are: Carlton @ 1.57, St Kilda @ 4.00, and then Brisbane at 5.00

Forgot Doedee. He deserves to be favourite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Titus actually watched our game!
http://titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-nine said:
Brisbane (129) v Hawthorn (73)

Brisbane have been threatening to break out at some point, but no one expected it to be quite like this.

Against the Hawks, all the pieces clicked, Hugh McCluggage had his best game ever, Zorko was back to his best, Eric Hipwood was hitting the scoreboard, Dayne Beams drove the team forward, and Charlie Cameron took a contender for mark of the year while booting two.

The tone was set early, with the Lions taking a page out of the unsociable Hawks playbook when Cam Rayner pushed James Sicily to the ground and then Mitch Robinson ‘accidentally’ fell over Sicily, landing heavily on his head.

While the Hawks got out to a good lead early on, the Lions reeled them back and then shot past them, never to look back.

Watching this insipid performance was made worse for Hawks fans, given Luke Hodge was directing a lot of the traffic for the Lions and playing very well himself.

It was like wandering down the street hungover, unwashed and in your tracksuit pants, only to bump into your ex who looks terrific and is surrounded by a bunch of younger, more attractive friends.

In the end, it was a perfect first win of the season for the Lions, fulfilling the promise they have been showing, while for the Hawks, it means a lot more coffees with Gillon are in Alastair Clarkson’s future.

It was like wandering down the street hungover, unwashed and in your tracksuit pants, only to bump into your ex who looks terrific and is surrounded by a bunch of younger, more attractive friends.

:D:D:D:D

Awesome game. Equally happy we’ve got the swans this week. Should be sufficient to quell any risk of “getting ahead of ourselves”. I wouldn’t expect a big letdown game at this point where we come out against a sub-par opposition and put in a weak performance.

Awesome game. Equally happy we’ve got the swans this week. Should be sufficient to quell any risk of “getting ahead of ourselves”. I wouldn’t expect a big letdown game at this point where we come out against a sub-par opposition and put in a weak performance.

The doom and gloom is going to be intolerable on here if there is a let down after this high. The next phase of our devalopmemt is scary in that regard, we can barely control ourselves whilst having no expectations, can you imagine a time over the next few years when we will win 5 games in a row, then lose 5 games? Thats going to be a whole new challange with the scars we already havevas a team and supporters, I dont think we remember even what having ecpectations are.

Back