Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I so remember that game against the hawks cos it was the game i decided not to to go to cos I was getting sick of them losing. My huuuuge loss. Since them I get to every home game I can missing very few & I can deal with them losing as long as I see effort. Was at the 4 Grand finals as well. Were on the way back boys & girls!

Yep great read. From the article-
Jason Akermanis played his 9th game, and Craig McRae (15), Chris Scott (26), Nigel Lappin (29, Michael Voss (47), Darryl White (60) and Shaun Hart (74) were still learning. Marcus Ashcroft (119) was a veritable veteran.

Here's hoping that we see the same trajectory of improvement from this group of 8 players (games)- Hugh McCluggage (27), Alex Witherden (18), Cameron Rayner (9), Jarrod Berry (25), Zac Bailey (6), Harris Andrews (67), Eric Hipwood (39), Darcy Gardner (71).

The total games played by the 2 groups of 8 ie. legends still 6 years from a flag (379) and current (262) clearly demonstrates how patient we need to be with the current group, and the club needs to stay vigilant and pro active re recruitment and welfare etc.

Last year we sparked after the bye and held the higher performances through to the end of the season.

We have sparked earlier this year, and I'm confident we will hold this form through to the end of the season.

Young blokes are all about confidence and swagger. I'm calling this coming Sunday as a win against the swans.

Last year we sparked after the bye and held the higher performances through to the end of the season.

We have sparked earlier this year, and I'm confident we will hold this form through to the end of the season.

Young blokes are all about confidence and swagger. I'm calling this coming Sunday as a win against the swans.

The lid is off! lezzgo

OTOH now we've tipped our hand. We saw Hawthorn rest a bunch of players against us. Sydney has had a bit of a wake up call after seeing last week's game - I think there's a reasonable chance, though not guaranteed, we're going to get flogged. Sydney won't be caught unawares and we might be still riding a bit too high off last week.

OTOH now we've tipped our hand. We saw Hawthorn rest a bunch of players against us. Sydney has had a bit of a wake up call after seeing last week's game - I think there's a reasonable chance, though not guaranteed, we're going to get flogged. Sydney won't be caught unawares and we might be still riding a bit too high off last week.

Don't care what Sydney do - we owned the hawks tactically through selfless play that shut them down and we can continue to produce that. In fact, it was such a comprehensive success the players won't stray from the playbook. They will own it. Lions by 28.

(Sorry to be on the wrong thread with this)

Watching all the goals clip some really positive things stood out for me.
-hipwood did lots of off the ball stuff to get or set up goals.
-the young guys are delivering a lot of the inside 50s (Berry, Hugh, cutler, hipwood).
-cameron is an absolute gun.
-the forward line cohesiveness improving out of site and creating space for each other. McStay played his role even with limited touches.
-the boys got the smell of blood and feasted!

McLuggage had a stand out game.. So to did Cutler sorry Butler. best game by both of them.
Hippy kicked straighter and not seen him as confident to mark for a while.
Beams and Zorko back to the output we expect which is great.
I think having Eagles in the back has let Andrews to be free and he is back to his best again. Some great marks by Andrews. Eagles goal was fantastic, he still makes some stuff ups although his attack at the ball and players makes up for it. Lot better fit then McStay/Walker where.

Taylor, Rayner and Rich all worked really well blocking holes and making space which their are no stats for. Although it stopped the hawks and opened up our attacks.

I go into the Swans game side unchanged although I think McStay still has a question mark over him. Big O I think gone past him now might of had only 2 more disposals then McStay just seemed in the play more.

I think that a lot will hinge on how effectively we can manage their more powerful midfield. There is little to no chance that we win the contested ball but we might be able to withstand their ball movement.

We’ve appeared reluctant to commit extra numbers at contests this year. If we win the ball it sets us up brilliantly, but contest focussed sides like the dogs have found it too easy to deny us the ball. Sydney will probably wallop us in that area.

That said, if they bomb the ball into the forward line, I think our defensive unit has a reasonable shot at winning the aerial contest. My impression (haven’t checked stats) is that very few sides have taken lots of contested marks on us this year.

If the umpires are still watching for blocking, I think our tall forward line will cause Sydney the same issues it caused Hawthorn. They also don’t have a heap of foot speed out of the backline which should help with our forward pressure.

The other thing I noticed was a lack of Hero Goals from around 50.. People did the team thing kicking it to those it better spots. (Even Charlie :) )
Other games we have tried to do the team thing although kicked it to team mates not in a better position.
This time there was thinking.

One of my favourite pieces of footage from the game is that last goal to Lewy Taylor...an absolutely perfect tap from Martin to hit him at full pace. I couldn't find the video to post here, but when they replay the goal from the behind the goals camera you can see Stef just going off with joy (and probably pride with his tap work). So good to watch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching all the goals clip some really positive things stood out for me.
-hipwood did lots of off the ball stuff to get or set up goals.
-the young guys are delivering a lot of the inside 50s (Berry, Hugh, cutler, hipwood).
-cameron is an absolute gun.
-the forward line cohesiveness improving out of site and creating space for each other. McStay played his role even with limited touches.
-the boys got the smell of blood and feasted!
Hipwood playing on serving it to Cutler and Bailey running in tandem was elite , the drop was perfect.
It was great to see unstoppable and impossible for one defender to stop us .
Cutler scores the goal of course.

Almost the best part of the day was when we were singing the song for the third time.
Watching a little boy with his Hawks gear on whine and say to his dad, can we go, his old man wearing Lions gear on , shakes his head and keeps clapping , singing.
Priceless, get on board kid.
So many of our kids follow other teams , me thinks that will change.

Poor kid probably had nightmares.:p

Geez they're a bit stiff on Zorko aren't they? $2000 fine for misconduct for the trip on Sicily. Watching the video he was already lunging to try and effect a tackle, are they suggesting he intentionally dived at his ankles? Even when the free is called he puts his hand up and acknowledges it was his fault.

Makes me wonder, really...

I really feel there has been a culture shift in recognizing the non-stat as much as the stat.

Noticed a few times at goal celebrations where senior players (noticed Zorko a cpl of times) go up and recognize the player who laid a Shepard or do something pivotal in the lead up to the goal.

In the fourth quarter of the telecast they did a little segment on what we had been doing tactically to shut down the corridor and showed Taylor filling the dangerous space. It's these little things that go a long way to winning, and may partly explain McStays lack off first quarter stats if his role was to partly endure a worse case that his opponent couldn't impact the contest

Geez they're a bit stiff on Zorko aren't they? $2000 fine for misconduct for the trip on Sicily. Watching the video he was already lunging to try and effect a tackle, are they suggesting he intentionally dived at his ankles? Even when the free is called he puts his hand up and acknowledges it was his fault.

Makes me wonder, really...

I think it’s ok if theyre consistent. Definitely intentional and potentially pretty dangerous.

Its really interesting the way we call out players as being good for spectacular things and are harsh on others who didn't do the same...

I actually think its hard to find a player who didn't contribute well or add to the team on the weekend... it's just that some did it in ways that drew few AFL type stats or praise.

The huge value in Taylors defensive game, McStays defensive pressure and opening space, Baileys closing down of space just to name a few that got singled out for maybe not being great on the day... that win was a massive team effort... and it's probably the best example of it we've seen in years.

Add in things like Oscars 2nd and 3rd efforts, Eagles running 60m to close down a mark, Gardiner ensuring his opponents felt pressure, Berry's shepherds and "blocks", the balance we've got at the moment seems right even if those things aren't glamorous.

It was also interesting to see Fages also talk about the 3 tall policy... I'm stoked he backs himself and our players in to come up with a strategy and stick to it even if it does get singled out both here and in the media as unusual or not typical or not workable in the modern game. This man has been around football and coaching for a hell of a long time and I'm happy to back in that experience and his relationship with the players any day of the week. We're a hell of a lot better off because of it.

It's a real sign of maturity that we're learning the value in selflessness on the field... that was huge lesson in the benefits that come with it. Well done boys, and to you too Fages and all the coaching and crew... That was a win earned from top to bottom.

Last edited:
While sometimes his commentating is just outright ridiculous, I had no problem with the way he simply called the game on Sunday. Glowing praise is always nice to hear about the club as well.

He sounds so different when he doesn't put on his super obnoxious douche voice. Good snippet!

While sometimes his commentating is just outright ridiculous, I had no problem with the way he simply called the game on Sunday. Glowing praise is always nice to hear about the club as well.

BT "I would go and watch them play every day of the week..."

"And in three year's time when they are scheduled for free to air again, I will."

Back