Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Port faithful,

I spend a few weeks in Shanghai with your great club for the AFL China project.

I got to follow the team around everywhere and with that, was able to take some awesome insight into what a contending club looks like on the inside.

I'm a Carlton man, but I will forever have a spot for the Power after working with them for both Shanghai game snow.

Check out my review of it all here:

https://anchor.fm/tdehghani/episodes/My-Port-Adelaide-experience--AFL-China-e1gvff
Great insight, really enjoyed it, thanks for your efforts.

The article says we get a share of game day revenue and inventory sales. Not sure why a share of revenue would be worked out on a per head basis. I'd expect a percentage share would be fairer to both parties.

A per head payment would give the SMA a reason to under report our attendance but any money they save is lost by over stating Crows' attendances.

It' a well known fact that the average spend of a Port supporter is higher than that of the average Crows thermos carrying Thelma. Code for we drink more piss.

And this is all almost word-for-word what people were saying about Lewis Johnston ten years ago.
Both Pick 12 too
illuminati

Lol Jenkins. Your desperation is unbecoming. "I'll get you a seat at the table". M8 you aren't going to be selected for this. No one likes you. Not even your own clubs supporters.

20180524_092101.jpg

I can’t get over these clowns thinking their club is rolling in money and can just do whatever they like.

It’s more that Adelaide sees no value in paying for a dedicated AFLW coach because they aren’t making the rivers of gold they need to justify that kind of expense.
I see it slightly differently. I think it's more to do with them not wanting to employ a full time coach to their football department who, in their eyes, is only qualified enough to coach women's football, but not be a part of their "actual" football department.

Where is Aaron Francis at right now?

He possibly has to get back to SA for his health Essendon possibly could be reasonable in this case?
Absolutely no doubt he'll come back to SA. He wanted out last year, for genuine compassionate grounds, but Essendon flat-out refused to do a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Francis has more of a chance to come back this year.

When rumours started around this time last year we had Eddy, Marshall, Frampton and Ladhams up forward in the SANFL with Howard, Austin and Lienert down back.

Now we can’t buy a Development KP player.

Last night I re-read the Q&A that KT put out the same day. Re read it, and read between the lines and do some basic maths and the $2 per attendee makes sense.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...stions-and-answers-about-the-new-stadium-deal
Is this new financial model a good deal for Port Adelaide?
KT:
Yes. Under the original Adelaide Oval financial model, Port Adelaide had a $4.3 million uplift in 2014 compared to the previous model at AAMI Stadium.

If we maintain our 2014 attendances and corporate uptake at Adelaide Oval, we will benefit from a further $1.5 million uplift in 2015 and $2 million in 2016 and 2017.

How will attendances affect Port Adelaide's new financial model?
KT:
Under this deal we are now financially incentivised to maximise our attendances at Adelaide Oval. Quite simply, the more people who attend our games the better it is for our club.

Is the deal the same for both Port Adelaide and the Crows?
KT:
Yes. The deal is identical for both clubs.

When is the next review of the deal?
KT:
The deal will be reviewed at the end of 2017 at which point we would have had four years of operations at Adelaide Oval and gained an even greater understanding of the stadium’s economics. We anticipate that our financial deal will improve even more after the 2017 review.

Is Port Adelaide still dependent on the SANFL?
KT:
Our licence is no longer held by the SANFL and we no longer receive any financial assistance from the SANFL.

What are the key components that will impact Port Adelaide's financial return under the new model?
Quite simply there are three key components that will affect our financial return – attendances, corporate uptake at Adelaide Oval and on-field success.

We have significantly more corporate inventory to sell, greater access to world-class signage opportunities and reserved seating along with extra incentives to drive attendances and to host finals at Adelaide Oval.

What role will food and beverage takings at Adelaide Oval have on Port Adelaide's financial return?
The vast majority of the food and beverage takings will remain with the Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority who will continue to dictate the prices of all food and beverage sold at the stadium.
- See more at: http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...out-the-new-stadium-deal#sthash.RbKDEizp.dpuf

and initial announcement.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-03-10/parties-reach-agreement-on-new-oval-deal

I posted that on page 228 of the Stadium deals thread and the post above this one I put up a spreadsheet showing what the SANFL and SACA get out of Adelaide Oval - net of GST - including the $100 increase to AOSMA Football memberships in 2015 for adult members and the clubs to split that. See

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...shift-happening.554729/page-228#post-37385795

In that, I said Port and Crows would each get about $326k net of GST. Lets say the $2m includes GST then that's approx $360k. Our crowd in 2014 was 472,000. So as KT talks about maintaining our 2014 crowds to get $2mil extra, so if we do get $2 per attendee, then that is $944k.

So there is $1.3m of the $2m. An open box for 10 people sells for about $35,000. I doubt we got access to much more than 10-12 boxes. No way would the SMA give us anyone of those 32 x 18 people $125+k super boxes to sell as they are 12 month boxes and the SANFL wouldnt give us access to them and the SACA wouldnt give up any of the share of revenue from these boxes. Same with 1,455 Stadium Club 12 month venue memberships that sell for about $4.5k

So we are looking at $350k to $400k extra income from this corporate inventory.

How much extra could we make from all that flashy LED screens. Its hard to think we would make more than an extra $20-$30k per game. I could be wrong but I dont see it being $100k extra per game. So $20-$30k per game is around extra $300k

So $360k + $940k + $400k + $300k = $2 million.

If you reckon the $2 per attendee is incorrect, what is that $940k made up of then??

Edit Adelaide got 528,000 attendees in 2014 so x $2 = $1,056,000. So they would get $2.1m, given they get the same split from AOSMA footy members, the same extra corporate inventory and it would be up to them to work the advertising component as hard as they can. That's why sometimes the uplift for the 2 clubs was reported as $4.1m in 2016 and 2017. Eg

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/b9bd53271416bd78485204bbd2601fc9
So what does the fan get while the Crows and Power pocket an extra $3.1 million this season and $4.1 million in 2016 and 2017?

and
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/cr...l/news-story/e26838d0b644769a0723039d76433712

The two SA-based AFL clubs yesterday afternoon formally signed to the new terms at the Oval after a 237-day review. It will deliver an extra $3.1 million combined to Crows and Power this AFL season — and an extra $4.1 million in each of the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Last edited:
The pre match, half time entertainment might be interesting at Marvel-ous stadium.

I wonder if they will allow clubs to use Walt Disney's/Marvel's competitors as part of their entertainment, or will clubs be subject to bans and protecting key sponsors??

C'mon. I think it's best not to judge what we don't know. He's a young man living in a foreign city, far from his family, who lost his brother right around the time he was drafted in awful circumstances. I think this situation has very little to do with "mental strength".

Would you say the same, if in 6-12 months, Marshall wishes to go home or walk away from the AFL?
Well, if Marshall walks away from afl (totally understandable) doesn't that basically agree with my point?

The puns are incoming from the commentators. Any player doing something risky 'He's been a real Daredevil there'. 'Look at that Ah Chee handball, he's got a real Iron Fist'. Some commentators will take it and run you can be sure.

I enjoy Anthony Hudson commentating Dan Houston games. If Dan ever makes a mistake or finds himself under intense pressure, he just drops a “Houston ...” and then pauses for effect to give the other commentators time to jump in with “come on Huddo” “don’t say it” before he gets to “... has a problem”. Still makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back