The GST carve up

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackpot for WA!

A whopping 47% of their GST will come back! Not only that, WA now receives more in dollar terms than the NT and Tassie. Hasn't quite reached half of what SA gets, so it's not all rivers of gold.

Time for the Senate ticket to place the GST share WA does not receive front & centre - watch both of the majors back peddling at full speed.

Isn't WA slice of the pie low due to not selling government owned assets and such?

adjusted down due to our mining royalties
adjusted down as some states don't try and thus formulated on lowest common denominator rather than the average
adjusted down as gambling revenues aren't counted

Isn't WA slice of the pie low due to not selling government owned assets and such?
Mining royalties the state introduced which was a % when the price hit something like $80/$90. Once the Price hit a point where it was 30/40 dollars suddenly we were f**ked

Even Aunty can see the impotence of the both major parties to ever fix the inequities of the GST:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...under-labor-despite-barnett-criticism/9626240

No end in sight to rip-off
The boost in its allocation — from 34 cents out of every dollar WA contributes to 47 cents — is a $1 billion year-on-year increase, and $150 million above what WA had budgeted for.

But, despite that boost, few in WA would see it as anything other than a rip-off.

Can you please pay us back for the first 80 years of Commonwealth Grants? Then we can discuss what is and what is not a rip-off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you please pay us back for the first 80 years of Commonwealth Grants? Then we can discuss what is and what is not a rip-off.

What an unsubstantiated repeat of folklore accepted as fact by anyone who has NO knowledge, nil ... IF your claim were worthy of a roll of Sorbent, you will add some fact to the propaganda someone has feed you & you have swallowed hook, line & sinker. Start squirming, that hook has a good hold.

I'll check back on a monthly basis to see what sort of P155 & wind you trot out in lieu of a fact.

What an unsubstantiated repeat of folklore accepted as fact by anyone who has NO knowledge, nil ... IF your claim were worthy of a roll of Sorbent, you will add some fact to the propaganda someone has feed you & you have swallowed hook, line & sinker. Start squirming, that hook has a good hold.

As well you know, the tariff protection of manufacturing pre Whitlam was a windfall for certain parts of Aus, why do you limit your claim to the Grants Commission?

I'll check back on a monthly basis to see what sort of P155 & wind you trot out in lieu of a fact.

"The GST share for WA at the moment doesn't pass the pub test, we've got to have a new arrangement that passes the pub test in every pub, whether it's in Bunbury or in Burnie in Tasmania."

Crap Malcolm, the GST distribution is broken & its too hard for you or Shorten to fix it, the coaltion & Labor wont touch it , too hard. The 10 Senators for WA are puppets for the power merchants that control the coalition & Labor, every man & women of them are failing WA.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-28/cash-promises-from-feds-fail-to-solve-gst-problem/9705558

A vote for the coalition or Labor at the next election in the Senate will be a vote for more of the same, 5 X WA senators who will vote as a bloc to fix it are what is needed. We've seen both sides cowtow to the independents, 5 votes as a bloc, it'd get anything it wanted.

I heard an 80% floor is being introduced. I doubt this will be implemented though

Arent the Feds of both colours still making promises they wont keep, effectively snowing all WA voters again. The only way to fix the GST is in the hands of the voters in the Senate, the coalition & Labor dont have the cohunas.

Arent the Feds of both colours still making promises they wont keep, effectively snowing all WA voters again. The only way to fix the GST is in the hands of the voters in the Senate, the coalition & Labor dont have the cohunas.

I do t think the GST formula can be fixed in terms with a floor unless WA deliberate bankrupts itself and threatens the national sovereignty.

If I were the WA premier I would simply shut down BHP and Rio’s operations on an environmental review. They would in turn sue the federal government under property right treaties which would be enough to bankrupt Australia.

This would give the trigger to resolve the issue within one week.

Once resolved BHP and Rio would only be needed to be compensated for a week.

I do t think the GST formula can be fixed in terms with a floor unless WA deliberate bankrupts itself and threatens the national sovereignty.

If I were the WA premier I would simply shut down BHP and Rio’s operations on an environmental review. They would in turn sue the federal government under property right treaties which would be enough to bankrupt Australia.

This would give the trigger to resolve the issue within one week.

Once resolved BHP and Rio would only be needed to be compensated for a week.
No way, far too much sovereign risk. Unfortunately anything that we can do to be disruptive is also hurtful to us as a state.

The government can change the floor, the allocation method, the rate, etc, whenever they want. All they need to do is amend the legislation saying they can change it, then change it.

No way, far too much sovereign risk. Unfortunately anything that we can do to be disruptive is also hurtful to us as a state.

The government can change the floor, the allocation method, the rate, etc, whenever they want. All they need to do is amend the legislation saying they can change it, then change it.

The other states hold the power by weight of numbers. WA holds the other states by the balls.

We either work together fairly, if not just give them a little squeeze......and no, the sovereign risk would not flow to us, as we could simply settle our share by handing back the mines.

to change it, all the states and the feds need to agree.

What's in it for pathetic states like SA to sign?

to change it, all the states and the feds need to agree.

What's in it for pathetic states like SA to sign?
They actually don't from a legal perspective from what I understand. It is a federal law, the feds could just change it. What recourse do the states have? There are specific provisions that don't allow the states to sue over laws the feds control. However, due to their agreement they probably would as otherwise there would be no trust in any future agreements. Further, it would be suicide in every state but WA.

Agree the pauper states won't agree. Apparently, all our resources are Australia's and so royalties are included, but their gambling revenue is theirs and is excluded because reasons, payroll tax is included because Canberra is filled with public servants so it would disadvantage where the pollies live, but the costs of providing services to remote areas is excluded (even though the only reason there are significant people there is the need to service the mines that make the royalties). The whole system makes no sense.

Last edited:
They actually don't from a legal perspective from what I understand. It is a federal law, the feds could just change it. What recourse do the states have? There are specific provisions that don't allow the states to sue over laws the feds control. However, due to their agreement they probably would as otherwise there would be no trust in any future agreements. Further, it would be suicide in every state but WA.

Agree the pauper states won't agree. Apparently, all our resources are Australia's and so royalties are included, but their gambling revenue is theirs and is excluded because reasons, payroll tax is included because Canberra is filled with public servants so it would disadvantage where the pollies live, but the costs of providing services to remote areas is excluded (even though the only reason there are significant people there is the need to service the mines that make the royalties). The whole system makes no sense.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/the...h-can-change-the-gst-without-the-states-36298

Happy to if we can arrange some sort of rebate for the stupidly high tariffs we had to pay to keep Victorians and South Australians making poor quality cars and clothes over roughly the same period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back