Unofficial Preview Cats V Hawks - Another Chapter in THE RIVALRY..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bews cleared of damage but will most likely miss this week. Stewart and stanley should be right to play.
Wonder what that means- cleared of damage.
Was it a dislocated shoulder with no bone damage?
Was it an AC joint knock?

If it was a dislocated shoulder, there has to be soft tissue damage.
I know you're the messenger, I'm just verbalising my thoughts.

Wonder what that means- cleared of damage.
Was it a dislocated shoulder with no bone damage?
Was it an AC joint knock?

If it was a dislocated shoulder, there has to be soft tissue damage.
I know you're the messenger, I'm just verbalising my thoughts.
Dislocated shoulder that popped back in in the rooms. He's now out of a sling.

Dislocated shoulder that popped back in in the rooms. He's now out of a sling.
There must be by definition, labral and soft tissue damage.
That will possibly get surgery post season.
If there was associated bone damage- which there isn't it sounds like- his season would be over.

Narkle was back in WA for a family funeral.

I understand that.

Just hoping that he is well and truly available again for this weekend. And was hoping the 'In the Mix' article would reflect that.

I accept that the article is hardly a definitive statement on who is likely to feature. But I would have hoped that someone there could recall that Quinton was in the seniors the week before. And therefore might be recalled after an absence that wasn't injury-related.

Anyway, time will tell whether he's back this weekend. I would certainly like to see him back in the seniors for this game.

The weekend off could have freshened him up a little as well.

There must be by definition, labral and soft tissue damage.
That will possibly get surgery post season.
If there was associated bone damage- which there isn't it sounds like- his season would be over.
No idea. I just read the article on AFL. Com

GEELONG defender Jed Bews has been cleared of a fracture to his shoulder but he is unlikely to play against fierce rival Hawthorn at the MCG on Saturday.

In better news, Cats football manager Simon Lloyd told AFL.com.au in-form defender Tom Stewart should overcome an ankle complaint and be fit to take on the Hawks while ruckman Rhys Stanley (calf) is also expected to be available.

Bews dislocated his left shoulder as he lunged to make a tackle on Tiger Kane Lambert with less than two minutes left in the game on Friday night.

Scans in recent days have shown no sign of a break as a result of the injury, with Bews' shoulder popping back in in the changerooms.

"He's out of the sling. He's had both an MRI and a CT scan and both have excluded a fracture which is really positive news for Jed," Lloyd told AFL.com.au.

"We'll determine throughout the course of the week what that looks like in regards to Jed's short term plans.

"We expect him back playing solid football in the not too distant future."

Stewart, who missed Friday night's clash with the Tigers due to an ankle injury, trained on Monday and if he gets through the main session later in the week will return against the Hawks.

"Tom completed a football session today and our expectation is that Tom will be available," Lloyd said.

"Tom was close to playing last week so (our) expectation is he'll be available."

Stanley was a late withdrawal from the clash with the Tigers after battling calf tightness in the lead up to the game.

The ruckman's absence paved the way for Ryan Abbott to make his debut against Richmond, with the first-gamer kicking two goals.

"Rhys commenced running yesterday. He'll look to join training later in the week and we're confident Rhys will be available to play," Lloyd said.

Forward Daniel Menzel experienced some soreness in his groin following the game against the Tigers, but Lloyd said he would be right to play.

"There was no muscle strain for Dan and it's part of his ongoing management throughout the year," Lloyd said.

"He'll train on Thursday and be available."

Should he get through training on Thursday, veteran defender Harry Taylor should also be able to play this weekend after overcoming a frustrating foot complaint.

The Cats are set to decide whether that will be in the AFL or VFL later in the week.

I understand that.

Just hoping that he is well and truly available again for this weekend. And was hoping the 'In the Mix' article would reflect that.

I accept that the article is hardly a definitive statement on who is likely to feature. But I would have hoped that someone there could recall that Quinton was in the seniors the week before. And therefore might be recalled after an absence that wasn't injury-related.

Anyway, time will tell whether he's back this weekend. I would certainly like to see him back in the seniors for this game.

The weekend off could have freshened him up a little as well.
I'd say he'll be straight back in the team.

In: Buzza, Stanley, Stewart, Narkle

Out: Bews, Thurlow, Menzel, Jones
Good changes.
Buzza was good on the weekend and you need to reward good form, he’d have been down in the dumps after the Crows game so let’s see if he’s better this time.

Zuthrie/O’Connor not needed with Stewart back in and agree with BlakeyNoFlakey he (and MOC) need time to build up their bodies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought Thurlow was significantly better than previously and deserves to stay in. He took a couple of good marks and gave us some drive. Yeah he butchered an important ball late but his chase was impressive. I'd keep him in. Parsons got some form back in the VFL and if he's in form I think he's simply a better player than guys like Jones, Fogarty, etc. If Taylor's available I'd play him and consider shifting Thuoy forward more with Thurlow covering Thuoy's role. Kolo should cover Bews'role as a shut-down small defender this weak. He's very good defensivley on talls or smalls. Our big weakness is getting anything out of our small forwards so I expect Thuoy to give us plenty more than Jones and Fogarty have been giving us.

My changes:

Ins - Stanley, Stewart, Narkle, Taylor/Parsons
Outs - Abbott, Bews, Jones, Fogarty

I actually thought Thurlow was significantly better than previously and deserves to stay in. He took a couple of good marks and gave us some drive. Yeah he butchered an important ball late but his chase was impressive. I'd keep him in. Parsons got some form back in the VFL and if he's in form I think he's simply a better player than guys like Jones, Fogarty, etc. If Taylor's available I'd play him and consider shifting Thuoy forward more with Thurlow covering Thuoy's role. Kolo should cover Bews'role as a shut-down small defender this weak. He's very good defensivley on talls or smalls. Our big weakness is getting anything out of our small forwards so I expect Thuoy to give us plenty more than Jones and Fogarty have been giving us.

My changes:

Ins - Stanley, Stewart, Narkle, Taylor/Parsons
Outs - Abbott, Bews, Jones, Fogarty
Don’t think Taylor will come up.
Would also leave fog in over Parsons

If he's available to play I don't see any point putting him in the VFL. He's clearly a better option than our other bottom 6 players, we'll be missing Bews and having him in defence means Blicavs can provide a chop-out in the ruck at times.
If you heard him of the radio last week you'd know his return is indefinite.

I'd say he'll be straight back in the team.

Certainly hope so. And the article on afl.com.au about a few of the other boys seems to suggest he's a likely inclusion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-06/bews-cleared-of-major-damage-star-to-return

Promising youngster Quinton Narkle will most likely be available after missing the clash against the Tigers to attend a family funeral.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-06/bews-cleared-of-major-damage-star-to-return

A few people suggesting Constable to come in, what sort of role could he play? I live in SA so haven’t seen him play. I’ve noticed he gets in the VFL best a lot.

In: Buzza, Stanley, Stewart, Narkle

Out: Bews, Thurlow, Menzel, Jones
You think Buzza, Abbott and Stanley all play??

Doubt it.....especially given the predicted forecast of hail, thunderstorms and gusty winds.

Ins: Stanley, Stewart, Narkle
Out: Bews, Thurlow, Jones.

Looking forward to this one......playing for your season against Hawthorn on the MCG. It doesn’t get any bigger than that

You think Buzza, Abbott and Stanley all play??

Doubt it.....especially given the predicted forecast of hail, thunderstorms and gusty winds.

Ins: Stanley, Stewart, Narkle
Out: Bews, Thurlow, Jones.

Looking forward to this one......playing for your season against Hawthorn on the MCG. It doesn’t get any bigger than that

Except that Geelong can (and should) still make the finals even if it loses against Hawthorn. A win against Hawthorn would be very useful, but is not essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back