Autopsy Round 21 Swans vs Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see it to be honest. We've been really poor since the WCE game in Rd 13 and we don't seem to have the ability to dominate teams this season. Yeah we had a couple of good wins against St Kilda and Freo but that's been it. It would take a miracle to get near the GF this year in my opinion.
Always believe in miracles!!!!
20180812_131822.jpg

Particularly when it involves the Sydney Swans :wink:

Last edited:
The barracking for the Swans not to make the 8 from the usual Melbourne brigade is another sign of the fear that the Swans put into all teams.

Come finals nobody wants to play the Swans, if we get it right we can beat anybody.

Today was the first time in a long time where it felt like the youngsters were asked to do a proportionate amount. Florent should only need to be getting 15-20 touches and show some class in space. Dawson should only need to get 10-15 touches at this stage of his career. Young forwards like Hayward and McCartin should be OK with just getting a few goals between them. And others like Ronke should be able to have quiet games and it not be noticed. That should all be able to happen and still come away with a win. They didn't need to be stellar (a few of them, like Heeney and Hewett) were. But when you have 22 fairly even contributors and a certain work rate quota that should be met by all 22 players, none of them need to be stellar. The best part is that we didn't even have 22 for most of the game... we only had 20!

More of this please Swans!

I thought the comments about us not being a good team were pretty ignorant and it proved to be the case. We’re not a great side, but we’re a good side.

We’ve won 6/8 against top 8 teams. We’re good with potential to become better.

This is a changing of the guard and a few haven’t come to terms with it. We’re not the 2016 super team, we’re the 2018 team full of youngsters finding their feet.

This win was something to be proud of.

Watched the replay, Melbourne were by no means elite. But they did their Melbourne of 2018 things very well still. They had patches of manic pressure on the ball carrier and used their breakaway speed to transition the ball quickly. And we held up against it as good as any other side has this year and that has to stand for something.

Also maybe they did make it easier for us to play a more aggressive, attacking way because we had the time and the space to do so. But even when we’ve played much worse teams this year like Carlton and Freo, we’ve not had the mental application to move the ball like that. There was an urgency to the way we played, and it worked very well for us considering we nearly had two goalless quarters. It doesn’t matter who we play even if it’s Richmond at the G. When our boys back themselves to take the game on they have often surprised us.

See: vs Geelong at the Cattery

See: vs Hawthorn at the G

See: vs North at Etihad

See: this game !!

Great wins and ain’t it funny how the common thread in all of them was many of us saying, “where the heck did that come from?” Maybe it’s time they stop becoming the odd occurences and start becoming more the norm!

Today was the first time in a long time where it felt like the youngsters were asked to do a proportionate amount. Florent should only need to be getting 15-20 touches and show some class in space. Dawson should only need to get 10-15 touches at this stage of his career. Young forwards like Hayward and McCartin should be OK with just getting a few goals between them. And others like Ronke should be able to have quiet games and it not be noticed. That should all be able to happen and still come away with a win. They didn't need to be stellar (a few of them, like Heeney and Hewett) were. But when you have 22 fairly even contributors and a certain work rate quota that should be met by all 22 players, none of them need to be stellar. The best part is that we didn't even have 22 for most of the game... we only had 20!

More of this please Swans!

This.

So pleased to see Joey, Hanners, Macca, Kizza and Parker all giving us sustained output in the same game. Makes such a difference.

Thought Buddy worked hard all day. He's definitely looking more mobile.

Bit of a breakout game for Hewett.

Heeney, Rampe and AA all delivered.

I thought Papley was bog in the first half. That was his best game of the year.

This.

So pleased to see Joey, Hanners, Macca, Kizza and Parker all giving us sustained output in the same game. Makes such a difference.

Thought Buddy worked hard all day. He's definitely looking more mobile.

Bit of a breakout game for Hewett.

Heeney, Rampe and AA all delivered.

I thought Papley was bog in the first half. That was his best game of the year.

Yep we just looked energised like we were enjoying the footy we were playing. Boys were going up for flying marks, gang-tackling, attempting ludicrous goals. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn’t, but when you have players doing that and trying to provide that spark, it’s usually a sign of a team playing with confidence and swagger. Whether this was a one-time thing though is yet TBD

I think the pain free movement and energy of Hanners, Buddy and Papley were key. They've all struggled at times this year.

But Hanners pushed to the siren. Exciting to see. And Papley deserved to ice the game in the dying seconds. Melb had no answer to him all day.

I think the pain free movement and energy of Hanners, Buddy and Papley were key. They've all struggled at times this year.

But Hanners pushed to the siren. Exciting to see. And Papley deserved to ice the game in the dying seconds. Melb had no answer to him all day.
Somethings still not right with Franklin though. He no longer terrorizes defenders with crunching tackles, rarely marks up the ground and I've noticed he no longer seems to have the same range for goal he used to.

Last night he dummied on a few occasions in order to gain a few extra metres that he wouldn't have needed throughout most of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somethings still not right with Franklin though. He no longer terrorizes defenders with crunching tackles, rarely marks up the ground and I've noticed he no longer seems to have the same range for goal he used to.

Last night he dummied on a few occasions in order to gain a few extra metres that he wouldn't have needed throughout most of his career.

Maybe he is actually a human after spending every game for the last 11 straight years as a government-manufactured super-being who escaped the lab.

Yep he's not 100%. Could be a confidence thing after a cold patch.

Go back a few games, though, and he never looked like finding the footy unless it was in his lap in the fwd 50. And his def pressure was pitiful. He had no second efforts.

Yesterday he ran off the square at the bounce, I think. And popped up around the wings all day. Both last week and this week he was tackling hard and bringing down opponents. That's a noticeable change.

Watching Petracca and Brayshaw last week carry on a bit after the win touching chins together seemed like guys who lost focus after a thumping win. Only a small thing but smacked of a team doing it easy. Probably to our advantage that they had an easy bruise free win prior to our match. See our response after smashing Essendon in finals last year. Our run to make the finals is tough but better preparation than say Geelong coming up for instance. Make it and we will at least be ready you would think.

Magnificent win guys, well done just superb stuff with just 2 players on the interchange, also so Shattered to hear about Alex Johnson! Can’t believe it to be honest, thoughts are with Alex and the Swans. Such a wonderful person and deserves some luck. Thoughts with you guys

Just happy how we transitioned the ball more than anything

We switched from side to side a lot more I swear and used the width them come back through the corridor

We hit up the targets in front half despite there height , not long bomb
Can we give Horse some credit here? Some might say that Melbourne lost the game (due to inaccuracy) more than us winning it, but Goodwin was clearly out coached. The swans season hung on this game and the coaches (and sadly AJ) got the players up for it. It’s one of the only games this year that I have seen some decent Swans brand pressure. There were far more instances of taking the man on with ball in hand.

If we bring this next week and the week after, I think we sneak into top four. Holy hell that would be amazing for such a roller coaster season!

Have been a bit critical of John this year-was frustrated by our slow and boring play. But I am very happy to give credit where credit's due. Really well coached yesterday, players just moved it on and played a great brand of footy, shows you what getting couple of players back can do. His move with Heeney was also excellent.

Fantastic win, thought we could be in a but of trouble but again we show what we're really made of when the pressure is on.

I think this game shows with some injury luck plus whatever we can do in the off season, next year might just be something special. If those second and third quarters were a preview for what they are trying to build, I can't wait.

As for AJ, don't even know what to say. Shattered for him. Hope his resilience inspires the boys for the rest of the year and beyond.

Pleasing to see a spread of Goal scorers, will shut those up who say Sydney are too Buddy centric for at least a Week.
A great effort after losing AJ and Nick Smith early in the game, those who want to write off Sydney, do so at your peril. Really typified the Bloods spirit.
Great to see Hanners have his best game in a long time, hopefully just peaking for the run into the Finals, could really be the X factor in the Swans Final campaign. AA just gets better and better, amazing what some confidence and consistent game time can do.
Heeney was immense , in particular in the last quarter when switched to the loose man in defense , coaching masterstroke by Horse. Also will be hard pressed to be beaten for Mark of the Year. (When was the last Swan to win Mark of the Year?)

Last edited:
Just happy how we transitioned the ball more than anything

We switched from side to side a lot more I swear and used the width them come back through the corridor

We hit up the targets in front half despite there height , not long bomb

We did to them what Hawthorn do to us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back