Review Round 22, 2018 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All that is true and correct. Im just not down with stuff after the siren. Got any other examples of people doing that after the final siren? It is incredibly rare and not within the bounds of sportmanship. Players dont do it. Everything else was fine and as you say.. zorko.
Well it took not even 24 hours but Jetta and La Cras just did the same thing after the siren, so yes players do it. Would suggest most things done by Miller last night were "not within the bounds of sportsmanship" as you put it.

Well it took not even 24 hours but Jetta and La Cras just did the same thing after the siren, so yes players do it. Would suggest most things done by Miller last night were "not within the bounds of sportsmanship" as you put it.

Gee wizz, I havent seen it? So Jetta got in his face and started yelling and taunting him after winning and it almost spilled over into a push and shove after the siren, after apologising for and regretting the same action earlier in the year? Ill have to check it out.

s**t game. At times, it looked like the Suns were much smarter with their use of the ball. We tried to play far too quickly for what our skills would allow.
Put it down to fatigue and be thankful there's just one more game. What has been a good season in terms of development and keeping up with many decent to good sides, has been threatening to end on poor performances reminiscent of recent years.

As one who is not a huge fan of Zorko at times, I really didn't see a lot wrong with the post siren exchange with Miller. Last time, we lost and he displayed the lowest form of sportsmanship by refusing to shake hands. At the time, Miller made a bit of a big deal and would have had a few words to say about it. Who knows what was said between the 2 during the game, or immediately after the siren. To me, it looked like Zorko could have been saying something along the lines of "You better shake my hand". Sure, he was being a smart arse about it, and probably rubbing the win in a bit, but it really looked like nothing. He shook his hand and had a bit of a light hearted dig. Neither looked pissed off, so who cares?

There was a bit of confusion around who initiated the exchange between Zorko and Miller - I just watched it replayed several times from different angles, Zorko 100% initiated the exchange when the siren went.
Just to clear it up. Considering he apologised for it last time, to do it again in a more agressive manner is s***ful especially as captain, makes us look like a bunch of brats our captain doing that.
He literally did the opposite of last time. Last time he refused to shake hands. This time, he made a big deal of making sure he offered his hand and that Miller took it.
Storm in a tea cup. And to reiterate, that's coming from someone who doesn't like that side of Zorko.

s**t game. At times, it looked like the Suns were much smarter with their use of the ball. We tried to play far too quickly for what our skills would allow.
Put it down to fatigue and be thankful there's just one more game. What has been a good season in terms of development and keeping up with many decent to good sides, has been threatening to end on poor performances reminiscent of recent years.

As one who is not a huge fan of Zorko at times, I really didn't see a lot wrong with the post siren exchange with Miller. Last time, we lost and he displayed the lowest form of sportsmanship by refusing to shake hands. At the time, Miller made a bit of a big deal and would have had a few words to say about it. Who knows what was said between the 2 during the game, or immediately after the siren. To me, it looked like Zorko could have been saying something along the lines of "You better shake my hand". Sure, he was being a smart arse about it, and probably rubbing the win in a bit, but it really looked like nothing. He shook his hand and had a bit of a light hearted dig. Neither looked pissed off, so who cares?

He literally did the opposite of last time. Last time he refused to shake hands. This time, he made a big deal of making sure he offered his hand and that Miller took it.
Storm in a tea cup. And to reiterate, that's coming from someone who doesn't like that side of Zorko.

He acted ungraciously after the siren, again, and mocked the handshake incident.. which he had earlier apologised for.

I don't want him suspended or stood down, I would just prefer he work on that side of his game, you can lead, play, act at a far more controlled and effective level if you are not running around in some state of semi triggered rage during games.

As for respecting the sanctity of respect being shown once the siren goes, it might be oldschool, but its something I value in sport and something id prefer our captain upheld, it may not be of as much value to you.

Gee wizz, I havent seen it? So Jetta got in his face and started yelling and taunting him after winning and it almost spilled over into a push and shove after the siren, after apologising for and regretting the same action earlier in the year? Ill have to check it out.
well maybe check it out before being a smart ass about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this handshake rivalry talk...
yeb1kVr.gif

For what our skills would allow or for what the conditions would allow?
Our skills are much better than what we showed last night so I would probably put it down to the latter.
Same same. If you want to blame a slippery ball, then our skills can't handle a slippery ball and we failed to adjust. We played a much more panicked and careless style lastnight. Hacking the ball as soon as we had hands on it just led to meaningless disposal after another.
The Suns were very good at applying pressure, something we do very poorly.
The reason our skills appear better than displayed lastnight, is that we tried to play quicker than usual. We can't.

Same same. If you want to blame a slippery ball, then our skills can't handle a slippery ball and we failed to adjust. We played a much more panicked and careless style lastnight. Hacking the ball as soon as we had hands on it just led to meaningless disposal after another.
The Suns were very good at applying pressure, something we do very poorly.
The reason our skills appear better than displayed lastnight, is that we tried to play quicker than usual. We can't.
Not under those conditions, no.
We do need to learn to play to the conditions.

This.

We just needed to slow things down and get more control, especially in the slippery dewy conditions. The Suns appeared to want to play Russian Roulette and we fell into the trap of accommodating them .

Now apart from that, I can't accept the contention that we weren't putting in 100% effort in this game.

Maybe it presented differently on a TV screen but speaking as one who was att he game and close to ground level, I thought the commitment from both sides was exceptional. If anything, I thought we tried too hard when the Suns came at us and we lost a bit of composure.

We were in serious trouble at three quarter time mainly because of woeful set shot kicking for goal but we dug in and willed ourselves over the line, even when they snapped a late goal and got to within a few points again. All night they seemed to kick goals from acute angles and rushed snaps, while we butcherd everything from less pressured situations

I'm stunned at he weird logic being trotted out by some that since we didn't belt them, it would have been better if we had lost so we got a higher draft pick.

WTF?

What kind of :poo: sandwich culture are we trying to cultivate in this club?

In a season where we have had so many heartbreaking losses, we finally crack it for a close win and there are some of us who are disappointed that we didn't lose.

Pathetic.

I'm also bemused at the continued scapegoating of Ryan Lester and the vitriol being directed at Dayne Zorko.

Lastly, as soon as I walked into Metricon last night, I knew we were going to have one hell of a fight on our hands. Their usually tame supporters seemed to be up and about and as soon as thier team took the field , it was ovious their players were amped for the occasion. They fielded a decent side and they humbled Sydney only a couple of weeks ago. The competetion has thorwn up some massive upsets this season and if they had rolled us it wouldn't have been even close to the biggest boilover. So let's give a little credit to our oppostion instead of throwing the toys out of the cot because they didn't meekly roll over like they were supposed to.

Last edited:
We have won 5 games this year with the best injury list in the AFL we probably would of won max 2 if we had a Collingwood type injury list like we have had before

I agree with Andrews being too young but who else would replace Zorko with Beams most likely gone
No need to replace zorko, one ordinary moment in his first year as captain doesnt require such a drastic response. He will learn and get better. I also dont think beams is going anywhere.

It was a hard game to watch, but ultimately the only reason it was close was due to our inaccuracy.

The Sun's reminded me so much of Brisbane a few years back. Their tackling pressure is unreal. I truly hope they retain their players and both teams are competitive and push for the top spot for years to come.

Sorry to snip your post, but I definitely agree with you on Touk Miller. He is a handy little player...and yet the Suns are using him as a pure tagger. Shame.
Agree, 16 plays 17 and they spend lots of energy hard tagging Zorko, while forgetting about Beams who ends up leading us to victory. Should have released the tag or moved it to Beams.

Back