Autopsy Rnd 23 - The nightmare is over. Bring on trades & draft

Remove this Banner Ad

To early to strike out Murphy until we know what's happening with his foot and ankle. Wouldn't be be surprised to see a very different Murphy next season after he's had some time to recover.

At his best, Murph walks into any best 22 in the competition. The problem is, its been a long time since he was consistently fit and consistently at his best. Hence the question mark. I hope he is fit and at his peak in round 1 2019.

Possibly. Simpson has a bit left too. Good for the club if blokes like Plowman are in the 2s
Plowman is far too good for the 2s. But hey theres always going to be some one to bag right?
Im less concerned about structure and game plan than I am about what seems to be a very worrying lack of basic skills levels of a lot of the list. I have been banging on about basic skill errors all season long. It is a serious concern IMO.
I agree and I have seen these basic skill errors for many long years. Its endemic in that older brigade of long serving carlton players. It became accepted and the way to change it is through the youngsters demanding better.

Absolutely wrapt to end such a dismal season, and what a fitting way to go out.

Nice game from Polson who finally showed some sharpness and got involved in a few nice link-up plays.

H is genuinely growing into a nightmare matchup for defenders. I'm optimistic he'll be just as good as Curnow, and might end up better. Scary.

Thought Weitering was great too. Looks confident again, and took a couple of strong contested marks.

The rest of the game was a mess. Lots of lazy skill errors, far too many passengers, and long stretches of play we couldn't get the ball to any meaningful target up forward.

I'm happy to pass this year off as an aberration and an outlier in the rebuild we can excuse due to injury, changes to our list profile, playing younger players without a heap of form behind them etc, but there must be some marked improvement next year.

Wins and losses (in context) will start to matter as of round 1 next year. The club has posited a 66-game timeline to rebuild, now that has passed, the expectations have to be higher.

Going to be an important pre-season for JSOS. His kicking last night was poor and failed to hit the target. It has been an odd decline this year in his skill execution. My observation with Jack is that he takes one too many steps or takes one second too long, causing him to get tackled/shank his kick etc. I hope he's not weighed down by the pressure of his name. Having his dad there wouldn't exactly help him to forge his own path.
I really hope he cements a place next year, builds on the good moments he created in his first year and tells all the critics to GAGF

Going to be an important pre-season for JSOS. His kicking last night was poor and failed to hit the target. It has been an odd decline this year in his skill execution. My observation with Jack is that he takes one too many steps or takes one second too long, causing him to get tackled/shank his kick etc. I hope he's not weighed down by the pressure of his name. Having his dad there wouldn't exactly help him to forge his own path.
I really hope he cements a place next year, builds on the good moments he created in his first year and tells all the critics to GAGF

Hopefully he has a good pre season and builds his tank up.

His VFL form and his first half back against Sydney showed that the inside mid role is something he could do. He could then push forward and use his height and smarts to exploit a mismatch there.

That just makes me laugh, sorry. I dont think SOS being around has any effect but if anything it would make him walk tall and bouyant. But I think he will be fine and his own man. I remember young Stephen taking time to click. He was handy as a youth. It was the second half of his career when he went up to champion status.

Then what’s the reason we are uncompetitive with almost every other team?

Why are we getting thrashed by 10+ goals to teams like St Kilda, North, Brisbane and Fremantle?

Sos answered that on Footy Classified recently. He said they are building to win premierships not to be competetive. He could have taken the list managers job and made a half decent side no doubt. But he didn't. They have taken the hard road to future glory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sos answered that on Footy Classified recently. He said they are building to win premierships not to be competetive. He could have taken the list managers job and made a half decent side no doubt. But he didn't. They have taken the hard road to future glory.

People seem to forget these comments by SOS, MLG, Bolts, McKay etc. NOTHING has changed. It's a long term rebuild and this year have been decimated by injuries.

Now we need to get everyone fit, add some more talent and take advantage of the games and development of the younger players this year. It really is that simple.

People seem to forget these comments by SOS, MLG, Bolts, McKay etc. NOTHING has changed. It's a long term rebuild and this year have been decimated by injuries.

Now we need to get everyone fit, add some more talent and take advantage of the games and development of the younger players this year. It really is that simple.

And delist the deckchairs Soapy ... ALL of them !!

And delist the deckchairs Soapy ... ALL of them !!
At least there are less deckchairs each year. It's not so easy to cut now. And lets be honest theres a few that were declared not good enough (after half a dozen games or so, lol) that are works in progress. Thats a proof of the rebuild starting to bear fruit I believe.
Two more end of season cuts and we get back to some normal drafting and trading around a good list hopefully.

Don't forget, we have been reviewing the fitness/medical area for over a month. Appointed a new head of football and have started changing the coaching staff. A lot is being done. A much better and improving reserves side will help enormously. SOS has been chasing possible recruits for 12 months. We will also appoint Cripps as Captain, a true leader who IMO opinion will be our best leader since Sticks. The younger players love him. Docherty is excellent support.

There is a lot happening that people don't see.

I can’t believe the positivity in this thread.

We lost by 104 points to a team which had as much to play for as us.

Disgraceful effort and Bolton, Murphy and any other leaders at the club (bar Cripps) should be absolutely ashamed
What's to gain from it?

Positivity is as much due to the fact that that's the end this year. There's opportunities for us to be much better next year, and for the injury crisis that has hit us to be resolved and improved on. We're also - if ShanDog is accurate when he says that we run farther than our opposition most weeks - a chance to have a fitness advantage should things click at any point.

Right now, this is in the past; it's a dumpster fire, but it's over. What we have now is hope for the future, something which has never quite been snuffed out despite the darkness of this year, hope that we get shiny new things via trades and FA, and that we get dibs on the best kid in the country. You're also assuming that the leadership at the club - including Cripps, why does he need to be captain to lead??? - isn't ashamed of the result, or doesn't want to change it as swiftly as humanly possible.

It could be just me, but I don't particularly enjoy feeling like s**t. Why you're seemingly all for it's a little beyond me.

The only thing I can say about that is I've seen all of Morton, Grimes and Trengove look every bit as good as our kids have (bar Curnow) and it all come to nothing.
People have every right to be concerned after our worst season in nearly 120 years.
I agree that it can all fall into a heap but I think your details are a bit off regarding the players you mentioned. I'm also more bullish on McKay than I am Curnow, for whatever reason.

What's to gain from it?

Positivity is as much due to the fact that that's the end this year. There's opportunities for us to be much better next year, and for the injury crisis that has hit us to be resolved and improved on. We're also - if ShanDog is accurate when he says that we run farther than our opposition most weeks - a chance to have a fitness advantage should things click at any point.

Right now, this is in the past; it's a dumpster fire, but it's over. What we have now is hope for the future, something which has never quite been snuffed out despite the darkness of this year, hope that we get shiny new things via trades and FA, and that we get dibs on the best kid in the country. You're also assuming that the leadership at the club - including Cripps, why does he need to be captain to lead??? - isn't ashamed of the result, or doesn't want to change it as swiftly as humanly possible.

It could be just me, but I don't particularly enjoy feeling like s**t. Why you're seemingly all for it's a little beyond me.

Great post.

It's the end of Round 23 - the nightmare is over and we can finally look towards making some changes. I've questioned aspects of the club this year - the coaching, team selection, tactics, even parts of the rebuild itself, but those things just don't matter post-season.

We need tangible improvement next season, but until then we've got an off-season to fix up the list and get the squad in much better shape to have a crack at next year.

I'm actually sensing a few parallels with the Bulldogs squad of 2011-2014 - fluctuating performances, but they invested in youth and eventually it started to pay off.

Gee Whiz... Dow handy at best ? Your a tough judge !
Think Dow will be a good player but how is he not handy at best at the moment?

Wasn’t like he was racking up 20 a game every week.

Was quiet early in the season, then started to get more involved as the year went on. Great at applying pressure in the midfield and moving through traffic, however he faded in and out of games.

Will only get better next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back