The AFL preaches equality but practices inequality

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The captain (and probably the best player) from the team placed 17th on the ladder is going to join the team that finished this season 1st on the ladder and are the reigning premiers.

How can the league spruik the idea of equalisation when the system currently allows the second worst team in the league to lose their most valuable asset and the best team in the league gains said asset without having to give anything back. I just don't get it...

That’s how it works. You’ll get your compo, and the AFL will ensure it’s handsome, but no matter what system we use, player movement will always result in the best players wanting to go to the best clubs. The salary cap does a great job of stopping this becoming ridiculous.
Plus, since we had to rebuild through compromised drafts because of GC, we’ve bloody well earnt something back.

The captain (and probably the best player) from the team placed 17th on the ladder is going to join the team that finished this season 1st on the ladder and are the reigning premiers.

How can the league spruik the idea of equalisation when the system currently allows the second worst team in the league to lose their most valuable asset and the best team in the league gains said asset without having to give anything back. I just don't get it...

And if Gaff goes to North then the 2nd best team will have lost one of its best players to 9th best team?

Swings and roundabouts! The system is about providing players freedom of movement not equalisation.

The draft, salary cap, Football department cap etc... are in place for equalisation.

Besides which Richmond really should be the case study for proving equalisation is effective, 37 years in the wilderness, some top picks during some poor years coupled with good trading and sound decision making have led to us winning the premiership.

And if Gaff goes to North then the 2nd best team will have lost one of its best players to 9th best team?

Swings and roundabouts! The system is about providing players freedom of movement not equalisation.

The draft, salary cap, Football department cap etc... are in place for equalisation.

Besides which Richmond really should be the case study for proving equalisation is effective, 37 years in the wilderness, some top picks during some poor years coupled with good trading and sound decision making have led to us winning the premiership.

Ive said since day 1 that FA will in the majority just favor Victorian clubs

Look at the history and the scenario you proposed..Just more proof

Equality of opportunity =/= Equality of outcome

/thread
Yep. It's not like Richmond has any COLA-style advantage here. If good salary cap management has enabled them to snag the best free agent on the market when they're already the best team, fair play to them. They've done so while operating under the same rules as everybody else.

More players move from interstate to Victoria, BUT HERE’S THE CATCH - those players get divided among 10 teams - not the two they get divided amongst in other states. Also players being lured back home happens anyway and if not for FA they’d just request trades.
You’ll find that over time, it will even itself out.

Free agency isn't an equalisation measure. It's something that the AFL introduced because the players demanded it. Anyone who thought it would aid equalisation was daft.

However, there is an element of equalisation built into the compensation mechanism. The Suns will almost certainly get pick 3 as compensation. Contrast that with the compensation the Hawks got for a much better player (who was only a couple of years older than Lynch is now at the time he moved). You must be aware of it, because Hawks fans continue to remind BF at every opportunity.

It does somewhat irk me that the reigning premier can get a player like that for free but given my club got aforementioned ex-Hawk a few years back the exact same way, I have no reasonable basis on which to be irked.

I do have reasonable basis to be irked by the punitive trade ban that the AFL imposed on my club after acquiring aforementioned player, with them telling my club "You can't have everyone". The ability to recruit said player was taken as evidence of abuse of the allowance specific granted to alleviate the higher cost of living, despite no previous abuse being found. Yet now the Tigers are able to recruit a similarly high priced player, despite already having one of the top two or three most highly paid players on their list, and another handful who must be on pretty good money. It kinda makes a mockery of the conclusion that the AFL jumped to in respect of the Swans back in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about the 4 ex-Carlton All Australian players who all moved home to SA or WA, Eddie Betts, Sam Jacobs, Bryce Gibbs and Josh Kennedy??? Nothing like getting facts in the way of a good story!!

How about the 4 ex-Carlton All Australian players who all moved home to SA or WA, Eddie Betts, Sam Jacobs, Bryce Gibbs and Josh Kennedy??? Nothing like getting facts in the way of a good story!!
Josh Kennedy moved home more than a decade ago in the Chris Judd trade. Trading is completely different now than it was then.

It's a sad business but what you have the AFL do? They cant deny Lynch the same opportunities other players get.

We're talking about getting players for free, Jacobs, Gibbs and Kennedy were traded for thereby costing the receiving club picks and or players. That's aslso a fairly small number over a decade!

The problem with FA is that players keep going to top clubs who get to keep all their players and picks and just add top liners for free. The compo picks just pushes back every other clubs picks. Also means that because top clubs keep attracting already proven players via FA, it takes pressure of them having to nail their ND picks.

FA is dooming some clubs to perpetual cellar dwelling, Gold Coast have almost no hope, ever!

There is no perfect system, inequality will always exist to some extent. Make a system , teams and players will try to circumvent it.
Suck it up princesses.
The Brown paper bag under the table will always prevail.

Get your club’s house in order,took us 37 years to finally win a flag and become a club players want to go too.

ffs over this.

Other clubs have been getting big fish at the top for years,Richmond do it and it’s boohoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back