Rules Poll: Should we get rid of the hit the goal post automatically equals a behind rule?

Do you agree with the change to the hit the post rule outline in this thread?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said this for a while, if the ball goes through the goals, even if it comes off the post, should be a goal. That is how it is in soccer and rugby and just takes away one element where mistakes are made.

No way …. We should not change the rules to accommodate for a league not willing to invest in technology. Get the technology right and we won’t have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No way …. We should not change the rules to accommodate for a league not willing to invest in technology. Get the technology right and we won’t have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fair call on changing the rules, but I don't know how much it would cost to "get right" and would there be better ways to spend that money?

1. AFL has to upgrade the current cameras to the best available. It's embarrassing they have not done so already.
2. Goal umpires need to call a goal for every kick through the big sticks.
3. Captains call - If a side believes the ball touched or hit the post, it gets reviewed. Three strikes and no more challenges for that team.

This thread is very much a knee jerk reaction to 1 bad call. It’s one of the rules that makes our game unique. There’s been no explanation as to why this rule change would make the game better.

There’s nothing wrong with the rules. Get better cameras and the problem ceases to exist

Can't really compare it to other goal sports like soccer or rugby as they don't have a scoring system that rewards near misses. Missing by 10cm and having the ball bounce back into play shouldn't be worth less than a shot at goal that misses by 2 metres and goes through the behinds

Yep. Happy for little touches to be allowed as a goal too. We let 4 different hands touch it in a pack mark and still call it a mark. Who cares if a finger nail hit the ball on its way through sticks. If it goes in just make it a goal. Obvious exception to being punched through the goals.
That Sheezel review just now is the perfect example of this. Who cares if he got an arm on the ball in that situation. Just pay the goal.

Edit: and again just now for that greenwood goal

Last edited:
I've said this for a while, if the ball goes through the goals, even if it comes off the post, should be a goal. That is how it is in soccer and rugby and just takes away one element where mistakes are made.
If we were creating the sport from scratch, certainly. As it is now, with so much history in there, maybe. It certainly would make things clearer outside the pro level where reviews are available. But it is fundamental to the game for a very long time.

What about off the post and back into play under this rule, is that play on or a behind?

Back