The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's obvious to say that the more the people the more the need for energy supply. This works great for the owners of it, but not for the environment. How many more people do we need to plug stuff in before enough enough?

SA is running at about 3/4 renewables,50% is wind, right now on the live update
Tas 100%
Vic and WA about 25%
NSW and Qld a bit over 10 to 15% ish

https://reneweconomy.com.au/nem-watch

there is no doubting it works sometimes. the question is how do we add reliability to the equation and lower costs to internationally competitive levels.

the answer is obvious when you look at jurisdictions that have achieved that.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=AUS-SA

it just requires people to open their minds as to the range of solutions on offer rather than limiting it to wind, solar and batteries.

Demand is flat due to rooftop solar.

Which, organised properly, reduces the need to Gold plate distribution systems for peak load

I’d prefer to let the electric company utilise my roof for their solar installation, just give me a discount on my power bill. They manage everything.

Every time I see this thread reminds me of a Trump rally where he spoke against wind power because of all the thousand of dead birds, then those that are also against it saying that there is not enough wind for them to be useful, I just laugh. Which is it? Too much wind or not enough?

Every time I see this thread reminds me of a Trump rally where he spoke against wind power because of all the thousand of dead birds, then those that are also against it saying that there is not enough wind for them to be useful, I just laugh. Which is it? Too much wind or not enough?

Sometimes the wind blows and sometimes it doesn't.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-heads-into-9th-day-with-no-relief-for-weeks

Britain’s gone nine days with almost no wind generation, and forecasts show the calm conditions persisting for another two weeks.

there is no doubting it works sometimes. the question is how do we add reliability to the equation and lower costs to internationally competitive levels.

the answer is obvious when you look at jurisdictions that have achieved that.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=AUS-SA

it just requires people to open their minds as to the range of solutions on offer rather than limiting it to wind, solar and batteries.
Higher costs seem to come when renewables drop away... so it's not the renewables causing the cost.. it's the privatised energy market and it's rules. Good work government.

Apples and oranges

It found South Australia, with privatised electricity, does have the highest bills. But Victoria, fully privatised, has slightly lower bills than NSW, Queensland and Tasmania, all of which have their electricity networks in government hands.
Experts say the biggest influences on what people pay for electricity are costs of transmission and distribution.

Doesnt Tassie use electricity for heat and hot water and its cold?
Victoria uses gas for both and cooking

........So the smallest population dense state would have the lowest distribution costs

Qld had $0 connection charges,you just paid for what you used
Newman jacked up the connection charges and reduced the feed in tarrifs to make it less attractive to have solar
https://reneweconomy.com.au/queensl...ive-rises-in-fixed-electricity-charges-52523/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higher costs seem to come when renewables drop away... so it's not the renewables causing the cost.. it's the privatised energy market and it's rules. Good work government.

Live pricing around the world fails to provide an example supporting renewables

It’s not that we shouldn’t have renewables but we must observe the tipping point

Please feel free to provide an example of where it does work rather than just a snap shot, for when it works

Live pricing around the world fails to provide an example supporting renewables

It’s not that we shouldn’t have renewables but we must observe the tipping point

Please feel free to provide an example of where it does work rather than just a snap shot, for when it works
You provided it already with your websites.

Which, organised properly, reduces the need to Gold plate distribution systems for peak load

I’d prefer to let the electric company utilise my roof for their solar installation, just give me a discount on my power bill. They manage everything.
Rooftop solar should be a common practice on new houses, especially as the tech gets cheaper and battery storage improves. Was watching the printed solar panels on the news the other week. If something like that could be rolled out easily and cheaply, it would help the owner with power prices and help the environment.

Rooftop solar should be a common practice on new houses, especially as the tech gets cheaper and battery storage improves. Was watching the printed solar panels on the news the other week. If something like that could be rolled out easily and cheaply, it would help the owner with power prices and help the environment.
Those printed ones seem disposable and short term but quick to install
This may change

I was more concerned with the thousands of dead birds, seems that is just spin as I couldn't find any evidence.

you'd have to ask yourself if your a "reasonable person" if you don't see the need for reliable power. Especially if your response to the issue is, as you've done.

Reliable power means different things to different people
Tasmania has reliable power

You're 100% right. Some only see "unreliable" power, is when the power cuts off such as a black out, brown out or rolling black outs.

From an economic perspective the reliability of power generation can be seen with high cost and even higher spot peaks. We see around the world where wind and solar have been adopted too aggressively resulting in multiple times over investment in capacity and still needing back up power.

upload_2018-9-6_9-26-1.png upload_2018-9-6_8-54-45.png

There are some other jurisdictions that have achieved low cost, low emissions, reliable supply and cheap power. These jurisdictions may include wind and solar in their energy mix but hydro, nuclear and geothermal underpin the outcome. That's why Tassie is an excellent example, albeit a small example. Sweden, Norway and France get the big tick. Ontario is the consistent star performer with scale.

We have gone longer than a decade and the world is yet to deliver an example of wind and solar delivering reliable power without hydro, nuclear or geothermal. I can't understand why there is even still a debate and if we are serious about climate change, we have to act rather than hope.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_8-54-7.png
    upload_2018-9-6_8-54-7.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2018-9-6_9-25-34.png
    upload_2018-9-6_9-25-34.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You're 100% right. Some only see "unreliable" power, is when the power cuts off such as a black out, brown out or rolling black outs.

From an economic perspective the reliability of power generation can be seen with high cost and even higher spot peaks. We see around the world where wind and solar have been adopted too aggressively resulting in multiple times over investment in capacity and still needing back up power.

View attachment 555068 View attachment 555055

There are some other jurisdictions that have achieved low cost, low emissions, reliable supply and cheap power. These jurisdictions may include wind and solar in their energy mix but hydro, nuclear and geothermal underpin the outcome. That's why Tassie is an excellent example, albeit a small example. Sweden, Norway and France get the big tick. Ontario is the consistent star performer with scale.

We have gone longer than a decade and the world is yet to deliver an example of wind and solar delivering reliable power without hydro, nuclear or geothermal. I can't understand why there is even still a debate and if we are serious about climate change, we have to act rather than hope.

They probably don't have Drop Kicks as politicians

They probably don't have Drop Kicks as politicians

I hear this type of thing......it's drop kick politicians, it's the market, it's over investment in the grid etc etc.

Yet with 100% strike rate, where ever wind and solar has been adopted too aggressively and without the support of nuclear, hydro or geo thermal; there is expensive unreliable power.

After a decade or more, with no examples of success, is it reasonable to say unreliable renewables fail due to drop kick politicians? Or is it that unreliable renewables are adopted by drop kick politicians t0o aggressively without the support of nuclear, hydro and geothermal?

When do we draw a line in the sand waiting for an example that works? Or do we simply open our minds to the range of solutions that actually work and enable unreliable renewables to co-exist, and pursue the best fit for Australia out of nuclear, hydro and geothermal? Or do we wait another 10 years?

I'd suggest we follow Norway, Sweden, Ontario, France, Tassie, NZ's and Iceland's lead. Then copy what works there, if we have the same opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back