Starting positions, bigger goalsquare a step closer

Remove this Banner Ad

All they needed to do was limit interchange , but they do not have the balls.

I've never understood why people think that will create better, more skillful, more watchable football. Basic logic would say it would create the opposite.

And no, football wasn't played in the same way back before interchange, and teams aren't going to forgo defensive structures and tactics that work.

Last edited:
Posted in the other thread but what a joke the Afl is becoming. What is happening to the game of AFL reminds me of what happened to Warhammer 40k (for those that play the tabletop game, especially 7th edition).

Game use to be fairly balanced and at it's best in the 90's but then you start to add special rules that help in one situation but then people exploit them, so you add more rules to try and stop that, but then more people exploit those new rules. Meanwhile newcomers find it confusing, so instead of simplifying it, you add MORE rules to try and help them, meanwhile continuing to add even more rules for 'perceived' problems that dont actually exist while the vets continue to exploit them.

You just get more rule bloat, until you end up with a quivering mess of a game that no one wants to play anymore.

In saying that, I don't mind the runner rule changing.

make the players fatter

they have to reach a certain skinfold measurement

it will make the game more relatable to the everyman and in the process we'll get less congestion because most players will be too buggered to charge around all over the field like crazy. they might even stay in their positions.

Point is kicked, full back kicks out now easy kick to centre and with a roost forward centre, no more need to kick wide to be defensive.

In soccer when an inferior side plays a superior side you concentrate the ball down the middle because out widee you can be spread out. Similar to what happens at the mcg

Soccer coaching 101 narrow the game , and bu making the goal squares longer they are effectively narrowing the game, now which club will benefit straight away, the other clubs will change their traing drills etc

Police the disposal more agree stoop the rugby throws , top the over thhead “ handballs” I m undecided on the 666 but the goal s1uares are nothing bu5 an attempt to keep the cats relevant
If teams repeatedly kick to the centre the defense will set up there which will force kicks wide. Then the full width of the ground will be used

If teams repeatedly kick to the centre the defense will set up there which will force kicks wide. Then the full width of the ground will be used
Wait for the first few games there will be no going wide

again, the ratings were down overall, not just Friday nights. This is an issue, whether people like the current game style or not. There are enough people who dont to consider change

This is the whole problem. the only people that GAF about TV ratings are the AFL and the networks. Ground attendances are up the last 2 years.

People that actually pay their memberships don't see an issue, outside of the stupid rules the AFL have bought in over the last few years like hands up for ruck, 50m encroaching penalty etc.

and yes I know the AFL's money comes from TV, but we're seriously going to let a sporting matches rules be dictated by TV ratings?

Ludicrous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the whole problem. the only people that GAF about TV ratings are the AFL and the networks. Ground attendances are up the last 2 years.

People that actually pay their memberships don't see an issue, outside of the stupid rules the AFL have bought in over the last few years like hands up for ruck, 50m encroaching penalty etc.

and yes I know the AFL's money comes from TV, but we're seriously going to let a sporting matches rules be dictated by TV ratings?

Ludicrous.
The tv networks will soon be deciding who wins like WWE

Ludicrous.
The ratings indicate popularity. The crowds are up mainly because of perths new stadium. Theyve been dropping in Melbourne for years now

Bet there will when teams realise the centre corridor is being uswd more often from kickins. They will put extra numbers in the midfield to stop it
More congestion, look at how the cats play kardinia park , long skinny ground easy to defend very rare for them to go wide, whateley keeps telling us that the cats of 2007 to 2012 were awsome the played down the middle of the ground, remember this post about mid next year

More congestion, look at how the cats play kardinia park , long skinny ground easy to defend very rare for them to go wide, whateley keeps telling us that the cats of 2007 to 2012 were awsome the played down the middle of the ground, remember this post about mid next year
The dimensions of the ground arent changing. If coaches see the corridor being used more often theyll defend it. Its only for kickins anyway.

Hysterics

I don't get why people are complaining. These rules aren't that drastic and all of them are designed to at least help with congestion. Considering the scoring in 2018 compared to even 10 years ago something needs to be done.

As for the size of the goal square, well I think that is something people will get used to very quickly. People complaining about it now are just doing so because they don't like change.

And Hocking said in his interview they want to stop repeat forward entries, because it doesn’t happen down the highway........., they are trying to manufacture results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back