Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been as well to Boise it's an excellent town. Bars are very busy and cheap, a bunch of trails and parks, food is awesome from the perspective of it being very local and affordable (Lake Trout and Elk) and the people there are absolutely lovely. It's a great classic American college town.

I didn't add college towns on my list and kept it to larger cities, but Boise would be right up there with the best.
Boise isn’t really a college town.
The metro area is just over 700,000
It’s biggest downfall is it’s full with Californian expats.

But yep, you’ve explained why I love it so much.
It’s big enough to have everything, but it’s got all the extra country’s, natural stuff which you won’t find in many other cities. (At least the ones I’ve been to)

Washington just doesnt get enough love imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On my to do list.
Stupid uncle went with plan c for his wedding
Plan a wouldve meant we did Washington into philly Independence Day.
Ah well. Eventually will happen.

On my to do list.
Stupid uncle went with plan c for his wedding
Plan a wouldve meant we did Washington into philly Independence Day.
Ah well. Eventually will happen.
I spent three days there it just wasn't enough.

It really is like a modern day Rome in some ways with the monuments and free libraries. Plus then there is Arlington and Georgetown

I would love to go back but I have a thing with visiting places outside of Australia more than once. There is just so many places out there that I am at loathe to visit place twice until I have seen everywhere I want at least once.

Having said that the only place I have been to on a few occasions is Santa Monica and that is just for the convenience of acclimatizing to the US for a couple of days before I start travelling

I'm going for 3 & 1/2 weeks in October/November.

2 nights Santa Monica
4 nights Austin
3 nights Fredddericksburg (2nd biggest wine region in USA)
4 nights San Antonio
4 nights Palm Springs
2 nights Temecula (wine region in South Cali)
4 nights San Diego

Anyone got any suggestions of things to do in any of those places that aren't the usual tourist things?

I spent three days there it just wasn't enough.

It really is like a modern day Rome in some ways with the monuments and free libraries. Plus then there is Arlington and Georgetown

I would love to go back but I have a thing with visiting places outside of Australia more than once. There is just so many places out there that I am at loathe to visit place twice until I have seen everywhere I want at least once.

Having said that the only place I have been to on a few occasions is Santa Monica and that is just for the convenience of acclimatizing to the US for a couple of days before I start travelling
I know what you mean, London, Dubai and Los Angeles are the only places I’ve done twice which I paid for.
Done 3 trips with the parents which they paid for
1) their 25 anniversary so went back to Paris and Berlin
2) uncles wedding so went back to Vienna and Rome
3j parents wanted to secure gold qantas ff and it’d get me silver, so went back to Singapore.

Might do the same as the last one next year and I’ll do Shanghai’s again but might incorporate Tokyo too (or Beijing)

But my list is almost gone
2020 trip will just leave African safari, morrocco' Egypt, Jordan, turkey, Iran left.

I know what you mean, London, Dubai and Los Angeles are the only places I’ve done twice which I paid for.
Done 3 trips with the parents which they paid for
1) their 25 anniversary so went back to Paris and Berlin
2) uncles wedding so went back to Vienna and Rome
3j parents wanted to secure gold qantas ff and it’d get me silver, so went back to Singapore.

Might do the same as the last one next year and I’ll do Shanghai’s again but might incorporate Tokyo too (or Beijing)

But my list is almost gone
2020 trip will just leave African safari, morrocco' Egypt, Jordan, turkey, Iran left.
Dubai (one of my favourite cities) and LA are stop over cities so it makes sense to go there multiple times.

Yeah an Africian safari is defiantly high up on my list of things to do ditto Morocco, Egypt and Jordan.

Iran is an interesting one, it is a place I have never thought of visiting tbh. Turkey I wasn't a fan but I only visited the cities and I hear the natural landscape can be amazing.

Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Southern Africa, Japan, Argentina and NZ are left on my bucket list for countries.
Still a few American cities I want to get to like Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, New Orleans, El Paso, Charlottesville & Louisville & Savannah. Wouldn't mind going back to Mexico and doing the west coast either

Heading back to the US in October for another two weeks. Will be my third time in a year.

I'll be based around Madison and Minneapolis for most of the time, but was looking at doing a three night trip out to Detroit, or possibly Des Moines/Quad Cities.

Any body been to either before? I'm probably more inclined to visit Detroit, but I'm interested to hear any experiences, as it's not exactly a mecca for tourists- which I don't mind but if it's not worthwhile, I'd rather not waste my time.
How often do you go? I remember asking about that part and you told me Milwaukee was a good town (my fave in the US) but preferred Madison. You been there a bit? What's so good about Madison? And why the midwest and not really anywhere else?

I have a weird fantasy about living in Milwaukee and training it to Chicago on weekends...

USA travel tip?
Get out of the city and into the spectacular countryside

Now that's a pretty good idea.

I love Vegas......not the city but the outskirts.
A two hour drive in any direction will take you to some amazing places.
It may get lonely and even a little scary at times in the desert, but grab your camera and take the chance. My experiences have been unforgettable.

I'm going for 3 & 1/2 weeks in October/November.

2 nights Santa Monica
4 nights Austin
3 nights Fredddericksburg (2nd biggest wine region in USA)
4 nights San Antonio
4 nights Palm Springs
2 nights Temecula (wine region in South Cali)
4 nights San Diego

Anyone got any suggestions of things to do in any of those places that aren't the usual tourist things?

I'm going to assume you have decided to do or not do Joshua Tree, But it is a cool place and would recommend if you are in a aircon vehicle.

I'm going to assume you have decided to do or not do Joshua Tree, But it is a cool place and would recommend if you are in a aircon vehicle.
Yeah I plan on doing that. Im only going to Palm Springs because I have a wedding there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a sleepy place when i was there, Hopefully your staying somewhere near a pool.
yeah we are. I will be spending lots of tim in it.

Any recommendations on bars/pubs ext?

Heading back to the US in October for another two weeks. Will be my third time in a year.

I'll be based around Madison and Minneapolis for most of the time, but was looking at doing a three night trip out to Detroit, or possibly Des Moines/Quad Cities.

Any body been to either before? I'm probably more inclined to visit Detroit, but I'm interested to hear any experiences, as it's not exactly a mecca for tourists- which I don't mind but if it's not worthwhile, I'd rather not waste my time.
Detroit a great city if your a sports fan...all four major sports, and all in downtown within walking distance of each other. Also an easy drive to Uni of Michigan and the Big house!

Downtown Detroit undergoing massive regeneration, so construction site central.

Up around Royal Oak and Ferndale, out in the suburbs there is a bustling bar and club scene.

Had a great time in detroit, worth a look if around the Chicago area.

For those that have been to big NBA games before, am I better off buying tickets now or waiting until closer to the date?

Planning to see the Celtics Sixers game on Christmas day. Typically tickets are meant to get cheaper closer to the date as people become more desperate, but am wondering if this would apply to such a big matchup?

Would I be at risk at missing out due to a sellout?

Purchased mine about a week before seeing Mavs v Golden State in Dallas in Jan this year. I went through the team site which re-directs you to the ticketmaster resale site. You can then order your ticket by price or by looking at where you want to sit. It depends on the price the reseller (I guess they are season ticket holders) wants. You could find 2 seats virtually next to each other but may be $50 or $100 difference in price. It was safe and reliable.
Purchased Ice Hockey seat the day before the game with no problems.

For those that have been to big NBA games before, am I better off buying tickets now or waiting until closer to the date?

Planning to see the Celtics Sixers game on Christmas day. Typically tickets are meant to get cheaper closer to the date as people become more desperate, but am wondering if this would apply to such a big matchup?

I think technically the Xmas day game would already be a ‘sell-out’.

The only tickets available would be on the re-sale markets - seatgeek, stubhub, Ticketmaster resale etc.

Never had any problems buying from them before, I always select e-tickets and worked fine.

Always a bit of a punt when trying to play resale market, if both teams play as projected and it is a potentially 1 v 2 clash in the East on Xmas day you won’t get much of a discount by waiting.

Also depends on how many you are looking for? Always easier to jag a single closer to the game...but if wanting 4 or more might be struggling.

I'd buy now. I went to a game last year in January, end of January. November tickets were like $80 up the back. Come the week of the game they were $150 so we lost on that one.

Just get them and lock it in.

It's money. On holidays, you win some and you lose some. Luck can come to you and you can end up with a free meal or cheap flight but you can also get scammed or ripped off. Who cares? When you're in the mundane miniature of life, you'll always be like 'man, I remember when I went to an NBA game on Christmas...' I don't even like basketball especially and I'd look back on that as one cool as thing.

I've seen gigs where tickets were like £50, and then went down to a donation of your choosing. I think I've thought about that, like, er once. Seeing Blur in London is more important than saving money I would've spent on something else regardless.

Just do it dude.

I went to the Garden to watch the bulls play the Knicks on Christmas day. We booked early for fear of missing out.
The amount of people wanting tickets outside the arena was astronomical.

Hi
before I start, let me just say I'm feeling a bit stupid tonight. I've tried to work it out but for some reason, it's not coming to me. This is getting me very frustrated and annoyed and hence why I'm asking the much smarter people on Big Footy. Please help me?

I am heading to the USA in December and want to buy some NBA and NFL tickets. I am trying to buy some tickets to the Golden State Warriors vs Los Angles tickets on Christmas Night but the tickets say "mobile transfer" or scan the tickets on your phone.

I am looking at both Stubhub and NBA tickets on nba.com.

Now, I've bought NBA tickets before but have been able to print the tickets as have the tangiable tickets in my hand. However getting the tickets on my phone has me worried as I am not keen to spend like $2000 and have the tickets floating around in cyber world. With me being in Australia and the NBA are international, how will I receive the notification and how do I receive my tickets?

Had anyone done this before? can you please help.

Hi
before I start, let me just say I'm feeling a bit stupid tonight. I've tried to work it out but for some reason, it's not coming to me. This is getting me very frustrated and annoyed and hence why I'm asking the much smarter people on Big Footy. Please help me?

I am heading to the USA in December and want to buy some NBA and NFL tickets. I am trying to buy some tickets to the Golden State Warriors vs Los Angles tickets on Christmas Night but the tickets say "mobile transfer" or scan the tickets on your phone.

Now, I've bought NBA tickets before but have been able to print the tickets as have the tangiable tickets in my hand. However getting the tickets on my phone has me worried as I am not keen to spend like $2000 and have the tickets floating around in cyber world. With me being in Australia and the NBA are international, how will I receive the notification and how do I receive my tickets?

You'll probably get a QR code in an email or the equivalent of those boarding passes. If you have an iphone, it'll be like anything else in your 'Wallet' app. I haven't been to the NBA but I imagine this is what it is.

It's all through an email I'd say. Probably safer than a single ticket printed on cardboard.

I havn't done this before but it is slowly becoming the way of the future and with some games in the USA now it's the only option for a ticket.

I am looking at Nets vs Warriors tickets and the only tickets they do for this game is mobile so it will me my first time trying it!

From what i have read you can download an app which will allow you to access your ticket for scanning or you might be able to access it from email.

My only worry is not having an internet connection at the stadium to access the app to scan, but surely someone at the stadium will help you with it if thats a problem.

Yep,revo333 that was also a worry.

However, every NBA stadium I’ve been to has very good and very free wi fi available but it isn’t turned on until 10 minuets before tip off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back