Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that random Ellis comment is on the money, I'm reasonably happy about it. Slots straight into Byrne's spot in the starting 22, running off half back and providing an option on the wing. Unlikely to cost much more than a mid second rounder given he'd probably be getting jettisoned for cap space to bring in Lynch.

Not a gun, but a handy type for where we're at.

Interestingly, every second player linked to us is only going to cost a second rounder, yet, it appears we only have two of them to spend. Where are we getting the other 6 second round picks we need to secure them all?

Truth be told, I'd actually prefer Wingard over Shiel, just unsure how much extra he would cost in terms of a trade.

wow, the mood here has certainly changes re Shiel.

So many people putting their nuts on the line all last week saying he is ours.....and now?
A bunch of parochial ****wits firing off early

Why would we need Darcy Moore?
If we move on Casboult and Jones and he costs little extra, why not?

Probably won't though, but we'll make sure whoever gets him pays as close to market value as possible.

Is it reasonable to say Blues can take away Hawks leverage?

GWS have salary cap pressure. Blues can take Setters (not much salary cap problem) and other (pick random other over paid player) and offer a decent trade for them. Relieves salary cap.

GWS don’t need to lose Shiel then. Therefore they retain the leverage over Hawks and Hawks simply don’t have anything worth forcing a trade.

Shiel is in ‘Gibbs’ mode not ‘McGovern’.

Therefore it may very well end in stalemate. Go home now as part of a broader package to Blues or sit it out. We will get the same next year as Hawks are offering us now. Yet we lose your services for a year. For salary cap relief we no longer need? Pass.

I therefore conclude despite his potential preference to get to Hawks, I don’t see it happening if Blues and GWS play it right.
Hard to see how we can undermine them to the tune of $750k with Setterfield and spare parts, though one wonders what kind of deal Shiel would be prepared to sign.

I'm hearing talk of AFL House granting special draft compensation for the Hawks for the loss of Rioli. Extraordinary circumstances or something like that. That coupled with their first should satisfy GWS.
Please don't come in here with that level of horse shit.

Best the Hawks can hope for is moving him onto the rookie list on minimum salary if he is recovering well from what was likely a mental health issue.

That kind of precedent would blow the AFL apart.

Last edited:
Hi Walga,

Could you clarify with your source the bit highlighted in yesterday’s rumour below - It doesn’t matter what the other clubs can offer Shiel because he wants to come to us so it isn’t an issue.

Is this part of the actual rumour, or just someone’s wishful thinking?

5 year deal with an option of a 6th year at $1,000,000 a year for Dylan Shiel.

Future 1st round and pick #25 should land both Setterfield and Shiel. If not we might have to offer up a player for a sweetener, who that player would be I wouldn’t have a clue.

Now people with say Shiel will cost us more but SOS will argue the fact that we he will be a free agent next year and the compensation won’t be as much as our future 1st round pick. It doesn’t matter what the other clubs can offer Shiel because he wants to come to us so it isn’t an issue.

Happy to PM the mods the source.

#Bluemour

Not even worried about Hawthorn. Media are just reporting Hawks in front of the clubs he had met with. No shocker that a line has been out through Saints and *. We're best positioned to make a trade happen with GWS and offer Shiel a big contract. Not even sweating it.

Reagrdless of whether you're right or not, your post cheered me up, Mate. Thanks :thumbsu:

Sounds to me like we're just throwing out hail Mary's if what you say is correct.
I wouldn't have thought a so called professional sporting org would work like that
Surely months of planning goes into each potential acquisition?
Not, oh well we missed out on him, lets try him, him, him, and him.
I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that we have Plan b, c...... There wouldn't be any potential targets that we haven't already spoken to.

Reckon if Shiel is having a second meeting with us thats a very positive sign .
I would doubt if he was strongly leaning towards Hawthorn that he'd bother meeting with us again .
Also if he is somewhat torn on staying or leaving he'd want to get GWS the best deal .
Good news around the corner imo .

I would doubt if he was strongly leaning towards Hawthorn that he'd bother meeting with us again .
Also if he is somewhat torn on staying or leaving he'd want to get GWS the best deal .

Have we edinitely met with him once already?

Because so many rumours out there, some say we’ve met, some say we haven’t, it’s just all over the place?

Tone is important. As is sincerity.

Some have the track record to show that they sometimes get a line on the current state of play. They (usually) get treated well

Others roll in and try to use a third-hand rumour to cover themselves in glory, then dish out sass when they're proven wrong. They get the hard word because if they don't it encourages them and others to continue posting hallucinations dressed up as rumours to inflate their sense of magical internet-worth. They know who they are ;)

Too much angst over what people post in a rumour thread and too many people looking to jump on someone looking to discredit them if they post.

Treat it all with a grain of salt and have some fun with it.

Rumours are just that, rumours,

95% of what you hear or read won't ultimately turn into fact.

The thread actually could do with no self-appointed thread police, I'm sure that if things get ridiculously out of hand the Mods are quite capable of handling things.

You decide who you wish to believe or not, there's no need to be calling them out all the time.

I can't wait until the trade and draft periods are over and we actually know who we have and can start looking towards Round 1.

I guess this time of year isn't known as the silly season for nothing, it seems to get sillier every year

Shiel has another meeting with the club tomorrow. Club expecting to be told either way his intentions shortly after that meeting. I'd say the chances are dramatically lower of landing him than they were a week ago, still very much a possibility. If he decides on hawks and then they are unable to get the deal done, blues won't step in and make an offer. SOS & bolts want players that are committed to the club.

If Shiel doesn't get done, setterfield becomes much easier.

I'd be stoked if Setterfield is the 'booby prize'!

A bunch of parochial *******s firing off early

To be fair, some of us don't have a math co-processor brain chip to kick in and set us straight, like you do, Jim :p

Also, happened to catch this snap of you leaving the swanky warehouse conversion in the inner-East.

I believe that's War and Peace that you're reading there.

m10-934x495-hero-main-Speeding-On-the-Road-to-Driverless-Vehicles.jpg

- Don’t shoot the messenger -

Apparently Shiel not overly impressed with Visy Park Facilities.

Not overly confident on the source but thought I’d share anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy presentation your midfield coach at Carlton is currently unknown, while at Hawks you'll be coached by Sam Mitchell.

This is a good point. I wonder what's happening with the vacant assistant coaching spot? Hoping the music (or West Coast's season) hasn't stopped at an inopportune moment and left us without a seat - or some other poorly formed analogy.

We wouldn't have gone all-in on Mitchell without some sort of compelling Plan B, surely? There was always a good chance he was going to at least very heavily consider returning to Hawthorn, right?

Have we edinitely met with him once already?

Because so many rumours out there, some say we’ve met, some say we haven’t, it’s just all over the place?
Thats a good question id assume yes as the trade period is not far away and if our first meet was tomorrow thats a fair gap from when GWS were eliminated from finals till tomorrow .

Interestingly, every second player linked to us is only going to cost a second rounder, yet, it appears we only have two of them to spend. Where are we getting the other 6 second round picks we need to secure them all?

Doubt we're getting all the players, is more the point BCFC. Ellis also debunked very quickly.

Of the 10 or so we're linked to, odds are only 3-4 actually come our way at the most.

Best case scenario for us is our future first and 25 for Shiel and 14.
14 and a state leaguer for McGovern and 38.
38 for Dunstan.
26 and Casboult for Brodie.
Fasolo via FA.

5 players, requiring a lot of work with a lot of clubs. Doubt it happens.

More likely we get Setters for a second.
McGovern for a second and a future pick upgrade. Maybe a state league selection tossed in too.
Dunstan for the future Adelaide pick (probably a third rounder).
Fasolo as a FA.

Uninspiring, in my book. But then we made life hard for ourselves by sending half our players to triage this year.

TBH, i'm tired of the whole shiel conundrum. If he picks hawthorn then he clearly is delusional about their future. Good luck to him

I’d rather be realistic but that’s just me

Realistic is fine but a lot of people confuse negativity with realism. I'd rather read a post that is full of optimism rather than a negative one even when I don't quite share the same levels of optimism as the poster.

That's not how it works.

I keep seeing all these unmentioned players often, would kill to know who people keep talking about.
When a player is contracted it’s a very different story. Not all situations are the same , Gibbs end of 2016 was told no. Shiel , Lobb ,wingard were told to explore their options. McGovern is entirely different because there’s issues between club and player.
Lachie Henderson was told you’re going to carlton in the fev deal.

And for those of you with very short memories Josh Kennedy was TOLD he’s going to West Coast in the Judd deal.

So for those of you saying “ that’s not how it works” stop being naive.

Just heard on Nab trade radio that Dom Tyson would be keen for a move for greater opportunity

Fits the SOS MO:

Former first round pick. Would be about half the price of a Shiel who if he doesn’t choose us I wouldn’t have wanted anyway and he sucks, and if he does then he’s a gun and legend and everybody looks better in Navy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be staggered if we traded in Luke Dunstan. I was a bit of a fan of his in his draft year, but he would be a horrible mix with Cripps, Curnow and Kennedy. May as well add Serge Silvagni as well.

If he came 50+(which he won't) then he would be handy backup in case of injury. But that's all.

Right skill set, right age bracket.

Don't see an issue as long as the price is right.

- Don’t shoot the messenger -

Apparently Shiel not overly impressed with Visy Park Facilities.

Not overly confident on the source but thought I’d share anyway

Good thing we are at Ikon Park these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back