Bluemour Discussion Thread XIII - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like a bit of a negative Nelly but won't this be stressful to someone with mental health issues?

Fair point.. but i think with a solid support base around him from the club and clear expectations of what's expected (and the tools and structure for him to meet those expectations) it might have a positive impact on his mental health issues.

Footy review conducted highlighted 3 major issues
1. Players not fit enough.. senior players exempt... refers primarily to all the young guys ..not working as hard as other clubs...thus going after Russell

2.game plan..some of the coaching panel saying its the most complicated they have ever seen..will be stripped back

3. Development or lack of via nth blues..expect changes
This is probably my favorite rumor the year. We have actually conducted some form of a review and are making changes accordingly. How goods this?!

Probably about time we stopped blaming the AFL and looked in our own backyard. I’m confident SOS and Co will steer the ship in the right direction, AFAIC the ones that don’t come miss out.
I’m
No point having this wonderful talls if midfield can't get the ball to them.
So agree with this, hence why the MM recruiting will not be part of the solution until we get more bigger body and mature mids

Some words of wisdom from a 9 trade period vet.

To those who are exhausted by the negativity, be like water. Flow, embrace and depart. Others will stand and rage but reality moves on.

Move with reality.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some words of wisdom from a 9 trade period vet.

To those who are exhausted by the negativity, be like water. Flow, embrace and depart. Others will stand and rage but reality moves on.

Move with reality.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Too deep for 06:50 on first coffee B&S :)

Gees the tone of this board has changed since the Dylan Shiel announcement yesterday.
We're all disappointed. But some of the heavy handed opinions is a bit unnecessary.
At the end of the day, we are just the supporters (the peanut gallery).
I would trust in the full time expert staff at Carlton, SOS etc to know better.
I think we all quickly forget what a crap year we had.
And Bolts was quoted as saying he acknowledges it is very difficult to attract the top line players in our position.
We have both MM & Setterfield nominating us. Great! They are both guns.
And shut the F*#k up about Setters past injury. He is going to be fantastic.
Are we all worried that Doc is going to be crap, because he hasn't played for 12 months.
Now is the time to have faith in SOS to do the very best for Carlton.
Not stick the knife in with purely emotional, subjective criticism. Like some crazy lynch mob.
I love the Blues and I trust in SOS.

I'm sure there is another Ace up his sleave.

MM, Setters, Walsh, Fas plus 2-3 mature B+ mids will be a solid haul. (From our position)

You can as long as no future first round picks involved. If you want to trade your future 2nd , 3rd and 4th rounders out there is no rule against it. But if you traded your future 1st rounder you not allowed to trade your other future picks except if you gain other future picks from other clubs. Hence Hawks made a trade with us for a future second rounder two years back as they needed one more to be able to get O'Meara deal done.

Don't forget you need to use at least 3 draft picks per year. So you cannot technically trade your 2nd, 3rd and 4th if you don't have enough other picks.

Big thanks EP for all your good insights through the trade period.
Also agree with your review above.
All in all, SOS and the club are setting us up for sustainable success.
Indeed. We just need something to build a bridge to make the journey rising to get there a bit quicker for next 12 months. Too much pressure on Bolts if do not add some more mature bodies to midfield that can genuinely help. We got a week to figure something out and make use of 2019 first rounder as the best currency we got to get that and also keep the path of sustained success by adding Walsh at the draft.

People talking about setterfield as if he’s permanently injured. All his issues are impact related.
2014 he had a patella issue which impacted his 2015 campaign which is now a non issue he then had several impact injuries due to the way he plays the game. Concussion, ankle/foot, and shoulder issues. Followed by the more recent knee injury (ACL) resulted from a player falling across his leg in a preseason friendly. He’s highly professional with his progress holding back getting back on the track running by 4 weeks to build extra strength.

TAC cup averages:
19d, 5c, 11cp and 1ga

Elimination final in the TAC cup he had 16 tackles and 10 clearances.
AFL stats:
Debut
12d, 6t and 1c in his game v Richmond last year.
He had another game but it wasn’t as strong.

He was touted as being similar to bontempelli is his forward play and Cripps on his inside work. I’m excited.

Let’s hope AR gets him cherry ripe. He most likely already is. He also gets to work with docherty whose been through the same process across the same time frame.
I think the issue is that we have lots of high risk high reward highly talented ex gws players.

I think most people want to see us recruit a mature body mid who can step in and make a difference. In fact that's the stated aim by the club.

Really setterfield trade value should be compared to aherns, one less knee however similar draft position in their draft years and similar actual afl experience. Maybe early third.

Kids with high reward are great but there is no guarantees. The fragileness of our team requires something more stable than that now.

For me I'd like to see sos look outside the GWS bubble and work with other clubs to bring in needs. We need quality hard body afl experienced mids otherwise McGovern, fasolo, curnow, McKay et al will be starved of supply

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the Fasolo get, and on a one year deal is the smart move.

Not too fussed by the whole "he doesn't tackle" thing, he averages 2.5 tackles per game which is pretty much bang on the average. People get a bit too caught up in the media spin about the state of the game. "You have to be a pressure player to play forward in the modern game" is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Kennedy (2), Darling (2.4), Cripps (3.9), Lecras (3), Rioli (2.6), Ryan (1.9) - 15.8 tackles per game
Mihocek (2), Cox (1.6), DeGoey (2.3), Hoskin-Elliott (1.7), Varcoe (3.1), Thomas (3.1) - 13.8 tackles per game
Roughead (2.6), Schoenmakers (1.8), Burgoyne (4.2), Gunston (2), Breust (4.1), Puopolo (4.2) - 18.9 tackles per game
McDonald (2.3), Weideman (2.4), Melksham (1.9), Hannan (2.2), Vandenberg (3.1), Neal-Bullen (4.7) - 16.6 tackles per game

McKay (1.8), Curnow (2.1), McGovern (2.4), Fasolo (2.5), Pickett (2.9), Polson (3.2) - 14.9 tackles per game

Improved fitness and involvement from McKay, Curnow and Pickett sees us matching the top sides in this area. Not sold on Polson as a "defensive forward", but rotating Fisher, SPS, Murphy, Lang, Dow etc. through the forward line works as well if not better.

My hope is that we're getting ahead of the curve and building a forward line where every player is a threat. They need to work as a team, for sure, but if we've got the edge in most of our 1-on-1 matchups then it's a really good starting point.

Hi everyone. It’s breathe deeply time

My perspective for what it is worth

Yes. We have slightly overpaid for McGovern (it’s both seconds plus Mcadam for McGovern and a future third). But, put it in context

1) he’s contracted
2) they owe us a black eye. Don’t believe the good relationship stuff. They hate us
3) Adding Walsh and Setterfield, we DO NOT NEED ANY MORE KIDS
4) we are adding 4 starting 22 players (including Fasolo)
5) we will still be able to get Setterfield - future second plus a swap of picks will get it done

SOS knows what he is doing. He rates Walsh enormously (he has knocked back more than just WCE offers for pick one - Geelong came hard). He will keep both the $ and the 2019 first round pick for another assault on a senior player next year

It’s all good. We should walk out of this period with McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo, Walsh and next year’s first intact

Hey EP - It's probably been said before.
But I want to give a special call out to you.
Really appreciate your measured wisdom on this board.
These are emotionally loaded times for poor suffering Blues supporters.
Thanks mate. cheers

Don't forget you need to use at least 3 draft picks per year. So you cannot technically trade your 2nd, 3rd and 4th if you don't have enough other picks.
Have not forgotten at all. There is always a 5th, 6th and 7th rounds pick etc. to still have nominal 3 draft picks to start with. There is absolute nothing in rules to stop a club trading 2nd, 3rd and 4th future picks if they keep their first round pick of future draft. You just end up with 1st round pick, 5th and 6th at worst in such circumstances.

Nah, please don’t get your hopes up. All are contracted, SOS has had an amazing couple of years getting good value but he can’t do it every year, especially with contracted players.

I think this is the dilemma that SOS faced this year. This is the first time that we've attracted contracted players that the trading team actually valued and as such we have had to offer more than we would if they had been out of contract which is why I think we will be very lucky to get Setterfield for only a future second. GWS, despite their previous relationship with SOS, have never done us any favours IMO. In fact I think other clubs have negotiated better deals with GWS than we have.

It's looking to me like those who were predicting as many as 10 changes this year are well over the mark. We've so far lost 4 (counting Byrne) and replaced with 3 and if we were to trade Levi and Jones as predicted we have to find anther 4 to replace. I'm not too sure where those other 4 are going to come from. I don't care too much about Levi (more of a clearance sale than anything) but I would only like to trade Jones if we are able to screw more than his worth.

Looking to me like Kerridge and even possibly Graham will survive the cut again because I'm not sure that there are any DFA's out there that we can rely on to be better and they're in that mature age bracket that even the club has acknowledged we need.

I still think SOS may be sitting on a surprise trade out that we haven't anticipated. Still some excitement to come methinks.

Don’t hate on me, but Alex Johnson was on Trade Radio, looking for a rookie spot for next year back from his latest knee reco mid next year.

Anyone else think it’s worth a punt on the rookie list, 26, so 29 when we have a crack at it. Sydney where so willing to stick by him for so long and they are awesome at spotting talent, so got to assume they saw something. A rookie spot for 2 years costs us stuff all, but if Sydney was right and Russell can get him right in 2 years we might look like genius or we send him on his way without losing anything
Fits the bill of being a chronically injured player. Probably worth a shot

I hope you're not talking about Charlie in the middle way better as a forward

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, despite both he and MM, drifting further up the ground as marking options when coming out of the backline

Adding guys like MM and Fasolo to a lesser degree, allows for a better quality rotating through the middle

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Wetering Doc
LOB Cripps Williamson
Krezuer Kennedy Dow
MM Curnow Fasolo
Fisher McKay SPS
I: Curnow Murphy Walsh Setterfield

Rest: Pickett, Garlet, Cuners, JSOS, Lamb, Lang, Polson, Macreadie, TDK, Thomas etc

Then depth...............

Allows us to play 4 mids on the bench

We need to turn pk1 into multiple 1st rd picks, with one of those in the top 3.
How do we achieve this?
Port? GC?
Perhaps even add in next years 1st as well, see what we can get

Well GC hold picks 2 & 3, so if you want to stay in the top 3, you’d have to deal with them.

They’d have very little incentive to trade out of the top 3 considering they’d know that with us taking McGovern, we won’t be taking Lukosius.

Port (10, 11, 23 & Wingards potential pick) and Adelaide (8, 13 (McGovern), 16 and 21) will be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back