Bluemour Discussion Thread XIII - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I see your points.

Which is why as a club that finished with 2 wins because we had a horror injury run this year and gained first pick when we weren’t expecting it, we shouldn’t be so adamant that first pick is vital for us.

Look, as you say, players aren’t screaming out to come to us, especially the top notch players.
Which is all the more reason to overpay for those kinds of players, not middle of the road players that we already have plenty of.

We need to ween ourselves off being so addicted to pick 1 and package up a deal for top notch player, especially a pick that we definitely weren’t expecting to gain this year but for injury crisis.

Theres overpaying and then there is OVERPAYING.

Shiel (26) vs walsh (18) both are / will be great footballers.

Say we get Shiel for the next 3-4 years whilst we are building he makes us better but when we need the talent in there peak he is on the decline.

McG (23) (who I see as not just a middle of the road player but a good player with a high ceiling) in 3-4 years will be in his prime.

I just don't see it as as bigger loss as some.

I would love some more help in the middle, but when you look at the list of the younger guys we have coming through it is not as pressing as it may seem.

With the list we have built Shiel or McG does not make us. Time and patience will. I am really looking forward to next year to see the growth and see what AR can do with these boys, but i am more looking forward to watching the next 3-4 years as I see big things happening.

I’m struggling to see the issue with offloading McAdam. If Gary Rohan is only worth pick 40 something I feel these state league picks are further back. I am struggling to come up with 10 decent mature aged recruits without going back as far as Podsiadsly. Having said that, I will admit a small number of players have bobbed up in the last two years and I do think Krueger could be a good get for Geelong- from us- as a 20 yo (?) mobile tall with a history of glandular fever and injury holding him back in draft years. Could be wrong but aren’t these state league picks no more than a restricted early rookie pick? A priority pick would have been much more beneficial to the rebuild of both Carlton and Gold Coast in my view.
Mcadam is ready made. Pick in the 40s is a kid with 30% chance of playing 50+ games. Mcadam less risky

Its overs, but thats what happens when you trade for a contracted player. We keep #1 this year which is important.

The overs component is probably McAdam only or at worst the pick 28 on it's own. Pick 28 by draft night probably pick 30 or 31 anyway. McGovern out of contract is probably around pick 20 only. In contract a little more but nothing over the top extra.

Is it safe to come back now, this place appears to have become a bad workplace environment? More finger pointing than Brendan Goddard.

People are good enough to provide the best intel they have at the time of hearing the news, HEY, people change their mind it's part of human nature so get over it and be happy for what we hear on here.

Best of luck Dylan Shiel, may your club crash and burn!

Last edited:
Yeah I still think it’s overs the pick next year will be in the 50’s probably. Nevertheless we have McGovern which I am really happy about

You're expecting the Crows to be top 4 next year?

Success is built around being able to select players in the second and third rounds of the draft. We could have used our two state selections to target midfielders like Tim Kelly.

Success through State League players is a gamble; we aren't going to strike the next Tim Kelly easily. The alternative and safer move is to trade for an established AFL body i.e. Mitch. We aren't in a position to take risks or gambles. We won 2 games.

Gone to the draft with pick 1 and 25 & 27 or trade one of them to GWS for Setterfield. Thats three midfielders we could have targeted plus Miles from Richmond to provide some solid depth. Isn't that why we have a recruiting team?

Pick 1 is for Walsh
Pick 26 and 28 would only net us young guys. I thought you said we need established mids? Confusing.. ?

We're bringing in Setters, so that's 2 midfielders. I agree an established mid would have been great but we missed out. We need to adapt to the situation. Going for whatever is available just cause it's there is not gonna help us.

We still could have gone to the Draft and gained another two midfielders inside the top 30 and not have to trade any future picks. We haven't addressed our midfield at all yet we've traded 2 picks inside 30 and two state players for MM?????

See above. Those 2 mids would have been green shoots which we just don't need now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With WS we are waiting to see what essendon & GWS do re:shiel. Hope is we might be able to get involved there somehow and get him on the cheap. Otherwise it will likely be 2019 second round pick and maybe some other swaps involved. We do have our eyes on some other prospects/pick trades, nothing to share currently.
I understand its hard to say, but any idea if SOS is looking to trade back into the second round this year.

I think we get too carried away about “winning” a trade it’s 2018 these are super professional people, they know all the stats and the players better that anyone here ever will. You don’t win trades the year they happen, you break even. The only way you win is in hindsight, hindsight is the worst thing in sport as you can only work on what you know at the time and basically these days the clubs would have at basic level very similar information on every player

Say we get Shiel for the next 3-4 years whilst we are building he makes us better but when we need the talent in there peak he is on the decline.

McG (23) (who I see as not just a middle of the road player but a good player with a high ceiling) in 3-4 years will be in his prime.

I would love some more help in the middle, but when you look at the list of the younger guys we have coming through it is not as pressing as it may seem.

With the list we have built Shiel or McG does not make us. Time and patience will. I am really looking forward to next year to see the growth and see what AR can do with these boys, but i am more looking forward to watching the next 3-4 years as I see big things happening.

We lost in the last round by 100 points even though we had more inside 50s, not because we don’t have capable forwards, but because the delivery inside 50 is so atrocious it’s just ‘close eyes and kick long and high’ stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, I like McGovern, think he will be a good asset but no point plonking another forward down there when we will continue with the same midfield that just kicks forward wildly.

That’s why we require good mature midfielders, as wel as to help our youngsters develop and grow.
It’s time we bring in quality midfielders that can carry our youngsters in games while they develop and get better, rather than force our youngsters into the deep end anymore

Fas was originally three year deal, some of the team expressed concerns on that contract length. Was communicated to Fasolo, response was more or less 'Give me a one year deal, I'll prove myself'.
Wow was didn’t care if we got him or not. But if that truly was his response, then I’m all in. Like that in a player and my respect level has risen, similar to when daisy did something similar last year

Just for some perspective, wasn't the trade we wanted for Gibbs in 2016: Pick #13 and McGovern? We instead got pick #10 + #16 in 2017. Points wise, this would suggest that McGovern in the 2016 trade was valued at about pick #13, which is exactly what we just paid for him (+ McAdam, but we also got the pick upgrade). I know there are flaws with this analysis, but I think it does show just how highly SOS rates McGovern.

Your right but for the fact we can't afford to win under 8 games for 2 years because cripps will likely leave. We need to scrape together midfield competitivness: vfl, barlow 1 year, dunstan

Fas was originally three year deal, some of the team expressed concerns on that contract length. Was communicated to Fasolo, response was more or less 'Give me a one year deal, I'll prove myself'.
Great outcome. happy to give him an opportunity to prove himself :)
would love to see SOS and his team throw the 2019 first out there and see what he can real in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back