Moved Thread Kayo Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched a fair bit of it (MotoGP) overnight and got quite a bit of buffering. I'm on '50/20' fixed wireless NBN but I wouldn't normally expect buffering in the wee hours. I'm changing providers (Exetel, which is Optus based, to Optus) in the next day or two so we'll see how it goes but I won't continue with it if there's constant buffering. MotoGP is 720P max but I presume some other stuff is 1080P?

Other than that it has everything I want to watch on tv.
Have you stopped the stream and run a speedtest?

50/20 is heaps fast enough for hd - 6-7 meg is what that uses so anything over 10 meg and the problem isnt your internet.

Do be aware that routers can slow s**t out of your internet.

You might be able to plug a computer in to your router and speedtest at 44/16

Then go on wifi at your tv and only get 5/2

Buy a quality router and if you can - hardwire your streaming device.

Have you stopped the stream and run a speedtest?

50/20 is heaps fast enough for hd - 6-7 meg is what that uses so anything over 10 meg and the problem isnt your internet.

Do be aware that routers can slow s**t out of your internet.

You might be able to plug a computer in to your router and speedtest at 44/16

Then go on wifi at your tv and only get 5/2

Buy a quality router and if you can - hardwire your streaming device.
Thanks. I run speed tests fairly regularly. I received the new router from Optus today (Sagecom) but wherever I've looked they get poor reviews, although I haven't found any for the latest version V3, so I'll see how it goes for the moment and will likely upgrade at a later date.

I always have the PC connected via ethernet.

That could be a problem yes, there might be something mentioned on their help page: https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/

Or you could email them. I've sent them 2 or 3 queries about things, they have been very responsive.
I took your advice, they believe it'd be less than 20-30 seconds, but stopped short of saying how many.

When I stream Foxtel off the watch.foxtel site it's generally 10-20 seconds depending on my speed, and I can't see how Kayo would be any quicker. Not sold.

Of course the ultimate recommendation was to sign up for the trial lol

I really like this service. I love their "no spoilers" option which works throughout the whole app.

I love that you can click on an event and watch it live as it is now, or start it from the beginning. I love that I can start a live stream of a cricket match and I can see on the scrubber bar (I think it's called) when the wickets came, when a 6 was hit etc. I can instantly watch highlights of a match because they're clearly marked as to when they occured.

I get the hate for Foxtel, I really do. Sports was always the one thing they did excellently. Kayo is at, in my opinion, a fair price. The streaming quality is great, the UI is seriously great and I hope they don't change either moving forward.

Once the footy season comes back around, the ability to live stream in HD any match I want, and Kayo will suddenly be a steal.

If they added an exclusive PPV for free for subscribers once in a while it would be really cool, more free stuff right?

I promise I'm not being paid by Kayo but I'm certainly open to the idea of being paid to shill their - at the moment - excellent product.

Thanks. I run speed tests fairly regularly. I received the new router from Optus today (Sagecom) but wherever I've looked they get poor reviews, although I haven't found any for the latest version V3, so I'll see how it goes for the moment and will likely upgrade at a later date.

I always have the PC connected via ethernet.
Plug a deco or orbi into your crap router and run wifi off that - scatter three of them round the house for maximum goodness

Personally don’t trust streaming for live sport. Or live anything. I’ve always had issues. It just never seems to work smoothly. My layman thinking is Australia’s crappy internet just isn’t up to it.

They’ll have to pry my Foxtel satellite out of my cold, dead hands.

Plus I love racing so I want Sky Channel.

Personally don’t trust streaming for live sport. Or live anything. I’ve always had issues. It just never seems to work smoothly. My layman thinking is Australia’s crappy internet just isn’t up to it.

They’ll have to pry my Foxtel satellite out of my cold, dead hands.

Plus I love racing so I want Sky Channel.
Streaming will be fine in fttp / fttc and some fttn areas

Its got more to do with the servers fox / whoever use

If they cheap out there will be dramas - netflix and stan dont have probs

Netflix isn't a "live medium", it's an on demand service.

I personally would find a stream delay (anywhere up to 20-30 seconds behind live) frustrating if watching a game. I follow games on social media and seeing events happen on my Twitter feed or an app for example, would not be an ideal experience.

That's the kind of thing that would arguably prevent me from switching. Cable/Satellite pay TV and digital radio's delay is all of a few seconds, live streaming is often much much further behind.
I've twice spent a whole day at the cricket listening to the streamed commentary that was about two minutes behind and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I've twice spent a whole day at the cricket listening to the streamed commentary that was about two minutes behind and it didn't bother me in the slightest.
Yes, all well and good at the game when you see it live yourself. If you're out and about or at home and you're anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute behind the live action and see it talked about before you see it yourself... that's my concern.

Yes, all well and good at the game when you see it live yourself. If you're out and about or at home and you're anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute behind the live action and see it talked about before you see it yourself... that's my concern.
Either get off social media or only get on it when something notable happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

App has had 3 minor updates in the past week so I can only imagine the service can only improve. Current version is 1.0.3

So looks like I'll have to get a Chromecast. Was just browsing eBay and there looks to be a heap of 3rd party ones on there for $20. Anyone tried one of these before?
Make sure you get one with an Ultra Chromecast for Kayo. Vodafone tv box or Foxtel Now box have this inbuilt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back