- > Picken still injured
- > English has big Pre-season

Unlucky:

- > Williams
- > Suckling
- > Cavarro

Kids that will need to develop but could be surprise selections:

- > Young, West, Smith
I'd have Cordy in the unlucky pile as well.... It would be interesting to see if Bevo plays English/Boyd/Trengrove in the same team?
I just hope we settle on a team early and ready for round one not find the right balance before half the season is gone.

Round 1.
FB: Morris, Cordy, Naughton
HB: Crozier, Wood, Daniel
C: Hunter, Macrae, Williams
HF: JJ, Boyd, Suckling
FF: Gowers, Schache, LLoyd
R: Trengrove, Dunkley, Bont
INT: Mclean, Wallis, Richards, Dickson/Picken
EMG: Picken/B. Smith, English, Duryea, Carravo

Libbatore to be eased back through VFL. I would think they do the same for picken or have him spend only about 65% on ground. I think he might be right for by the start of pre-season. Richards may need to start in VFL too to learn somethings though, then if so then Duryea will play ahead of anyone on the list.
Lippi, greene, Lynch watch and see. I believe Naughton is 1 of those rare players that might not ever touch a VFL game.

Couldn't find a spot for McLean, Morris, Crozier, Picken, Suckling, Lloyd, Trengove or Dickson?
Yes oversight there should be a place for Mclean.
Morris and Dickson are in transition
Picken l hope
Crozier, Trengrove deph , can prove me wrong.Not convinced.
Lloyd and Dureya l have no idea yet.

What I would like to see:

Morris Naughton Wood
Williams Cordy JJ
Hunter Macrae Crozier
McLean Schache Wallis
Gowers Boyd Picken
English Bont Libba

Int locks: Dunkley Richards

Remaining Int from: Lynch/Smith/Suckling/West/Cavarra/Dale/Daniel

I know we don't have many (any?) options for key forward roles but I agree with those who are leaving Boyd out of their best 22. For mine, he hasn't earned a place in the team yet and particularly after his problems last season. If he can improve his positioning and marking substantially then I'll come around to his inclusion - much to do for him.

Who wants to wager(not money) that both Duryea and Lloyd play round one IF fit?

Both would have been Bev deals and he has alway backed the guys he brings in I can’t see next year being any different

Both would have been Bev deals and he has alway backed the guys he brings in I can’t see next year being any different

They may play round one but won't play in the team for more than 10 games each.

Can confidently say this is our best lineup:

Wood Naughton Morris
JJ. Cordy. Crozier
Hunter macrae Daniel
Dickson Bont Lloyd
Wallis. Boyd Gowers

Trengove McLean Dunkley Libba

B Smith suckling Lipinski Williams

Imo no need to pretend Schache is fit enough to keep the ball inside 50. Better off using the aerial ability of Bont and Gowers as spot ups and plonk the thing on Boyd’s head. He’s not a great forward but he’s a heck of a target.

Good amount of players that can stick tackles and roll through stoppages. Listed mids plus Bont, Dunks, Smith, Williams, Wallis and Gowers.

Lots of swingability in Williams, Suckers, JJ, Daniel, Hunter and Cordy.

Only one s**t ball user- Dunkley

Only one softie- Lipinski

Only one pewny man- Daniel

Lots of 190cm type bodies.

We need to get back to being tough c*nts

They may play round one but won't play in the team for more than 10 games each.

Lloyd will play every game he is available.

Duryea is Suckling 2.0. When fit he will play.

If people are picking teams THEY want round one I get they aren’t in it but if this thread is picking the actual line up that will play they are both 99% starters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best team on paper if all fit and firing during pre season-

B. Morris Cordy Wood.
HB. Johannisen Naughton Crozier.
C. Daniel Bontempelli Hunter.
HF. Wallis Schache Williams.
F. Gowers Boyd Liberatore.
R. Trengove Macrae McLean.
Int. Picken Dunkley Richards Dickson.

A very strong team because it is probably be one of our more experienced teams. Obviously a lot of injury doubts at this stage on Picko, Libba, Tory, but coaches obviously have faith that there not finished yet and can still be best 22. Looking forward to debuts from Smith, West and Cavarra particularly and further development from English, Dale etc, but an ideal world with fit players this is a strong side. Lloyd and Suckling would love to fit in. About 6 blokes I’d love to get in, forgot Gowers first up and had to edit replacing Suckling. Tough.

Last edited:
My side for round one, taking into consideration the unlikely scenario where everybody on my list is fit and the continued doubts about Pickens playing future.

To my mind the depth rotating through the mid-field is nigh on elite in this competition, however it will carry a huge burden that is an incredibly inexperienced group of keys forward and back.

FB: Morris, Naughton, Crozier
HB: Wood, Cordy, JJ
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Mclean, Schache, Greene
FF: Gowers, Boyd, Dickson
R: Trengrove, Dunkley, Bont
INT: Suckling, Richards, Daniel, Williams.

Next: Lipinski, English, Wallis, Dale, Jong.

I suspect that we will not be in for a long wait to see Smith in the glorious tri-colours.

Didn't have Ferg Greene in my original team but the more I see of him this preseason (even though its obviously a tiny sample aize) the more I like. He plays round 1 for me now.
This kid really excites me, he's a natural forward and if not for some indifferent kicking for goal would have had a much bigger impact late last year. Another pre-season or two he could be a real handful....lots to like.

My team post draft would be

Fb. crozier cordy Morris
Hb. JJ naughton richards
C. Hunter bont williams
Hf. Dunkley schache dale
Ff. Cavarra boyd gowers
R. English McLean macrea
Int. Daniel suckling greene wallis

Apologies if I’ve just missed it but have you shared your predicted/preferred 22 yet? Would interested where you see them fitting in and who misses out.

Apologies if I’ve just missed it but have you shared your predicted/preferred 22 yet? Would interested where you see them fitting in and who misses out.

It’s not who I think should play it’s who Bevs history tells us he will probably play

I will sit down tomorrow and put what I believe will be the team and what team I would like. They are not the same as I imagine most would not be.

But I will give u this much. Duryea is a two time premiership player that has continually played under possibly the greatest coach ever. To suggest he isn’t even in contention, as many have, to make the team is moronic. Beyond moronic especially when we are screaming out for experience.

Lloyd will play every game he is available.

Duryea is Suckling 2.0. When fit he will play.

If people are picking teams THEY want round one I get they aren’t in it but if this thread is picking the actual line up that will play they are both 99% starters.

Hi MD,

We don't always see eye to eye but I think you are onto something here. I don't think we brought these two in to play VFL.

By the way, what did you think of our draft?

It’s bizarre seeing some on here almost guarantee Duryea and Lloyd 22 games next season.
Both had very ordinary recent seasons at their respected clubs and neither have even completed a pre season at the dogs.
No doubt they play games next year but suggesting they’re a moral to play every game ahead of anyone else on the list is real nuffie stuff, it really is.

Alao, having a look at competition for spots who are some players who will be competing for the same spots ?

West/Smith/Wallis
Crozier/Duryea
Lynch/R Smith ( both a little down the pecking order with a full side )
Picken/Gowers/Dickson
English/Trenners/Boyd

These are a possibility but knowing Bevs flexibility mantra some probably won’t even be playing on the same line.

Whatever happens, if there’s a better run with injury this season, there will be some real pressure for spots on all lines which is fantastic.

Hi MD,

We don't always see eye to eye but I think you are onto something here. I don't think we brought these two in to play VFL.

By the way, what did you think of our draft?

Lol no mate we clearly did apparently

I mean they had pretyyaverage years according to some while all our players ripped it up in helping us finish bottom 6.

I’m fairly sure when our list team sat down at years end they said, hey let’s go get a couple mature blokes that will play VFL for us. I’m sure Bev said to them guys can you get me a couple of experienced guys to help Jong develop in his 38287 year at Footscray

Hahahahaha honestly

If you include Bailey Smith, West and Cavarra, the trades plus the injured guys from last season we have a lot players to consider. It is to difficult to predict the round 1 team and beyond if most are fit. From all the suggested line ups I have seen the back line seems to lack a player to play on the monster forwards like Dickson and Hawkins etc. So I see Trengrove needing to play back quite often whilst Naughton and Young are developing bigger bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back