2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've actually thought Rich's defensive work has been pretty good the last 2 years. He is decent one on one, chases hard and tackles pretty well. It's been his offensive game that hasn't been what it was before but I think defensively he's been solid
Not talking about Rich though. Bundy is the one I'm concerned for defensively. Rich I mentioned because if we play 4 smalls we lack utility down back and Rich is one who I think can play elsewhere without really impacting the team negatively.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lol Robertson may be fit but he’s slow and has no burst at all.

I don’t think he is overly slow but he’s a better overall defender than Rich for mine. Robertson is good one on one whereas Rich is slightly better offensively coming out of defence but Rich also loses over 50% of his one on ones. And for mine, he doesn’t do enough offensively to compensate for that, despite him apparently being ranked elite in his position by CD.

I think Rich would now be better used up the ground more.

Not talking about Rich though. Bundy is the one I'm concerned for defensively. Rich I mentioned because if we play 4 smalls we lack utility down back and Rich is one who I think can play elsewhere without really impacting the team negatively.

Fair enough. And the point was made that he adds to our list of smalls with defensive issues. I just thought rich defensive work has been pretty good. I also thought witherdens last 4-5 games was much better defensively and he showed a bit in one on one contests. Still a way to go but the improve was noticible imo

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t think he is overly slow but he’s a better overall defender than Rich for mine. Robertson is good one on one whereas Rich is slightly better offensively coming out of defence but Rich also loses over 50% of his one on ones. And for mine, he doesn’t do enough offensively to compensate for that, despite him apparently being ranked elite in his position by CD.

I think Rich would now be better used up the ground more.

And with more dangerous players in the middle these days a good chance Rich isn't heavily tagged. Zorko Rich Clug Rayner et al- can't tag them all

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair enough. And the point was made that he adds to our list of smalls with defensive issues. I just thought rich defensive work has been pretty good. I also thought witherdens last 4-5 games was much better defensively and he showed a bit in one on one contests. Still a way to go but the improve was noticible imo

I think he’s certainly improved his defensive running and the will to do it. Quite often puts his body on the line too. I love Richy but one on one, he is very poor at at his age, I’m not sure if he has the time to improve that aspect.

I think he’s certainly improved his defensive running and the will to do it. Quite often puts his body on the line too. I love Richy but one on one, he is very poor at at his age, I’m not sure if he has the time to improve that aspect.
Yes, you wouldn't want to rely on him to lay the game saving tackle in the dying minutes of a grand final. On the other hand, who better to launch one from outside fifty on the run to win it? We have to accept he has his strengths and his weaknesses but for me his strengths are pretty unique amongst our current group.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, you wouldn't want to rely on him to lay the game saving tackle in the dying minutes of a grand final. On the other hand, who better to launch one from outside fifty on the run to win it? We have to accept he has his strengths and his weaknesses but for me his strengths are pretty unique amongst our current group.

I’m talking about Rich as a defender. I’m just suggesting a positional move up the ground is probably ideal at this stage. Not debating his place in the team or his place on our list.

Majority of the time I see Rich with a chance to load up with a long bomb for goal, he generally goes the short pass unfortunately.

Last edited:

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need Rich to do the kick-ins, play on and kick it past the centre circle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are a couple of very strong run downs and tackles from Rich in last years highlights package. His tackling has improved FWIW

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are a couple of very strong run downs and tackles from Rich in last years highlights package. His tackling has improved FWIW

I think his intensity can be very good but it's also very inconsistent. You can see us going past him in a couple of years and him missing out on some success with us unless he finds some consistency in his effort.

BLions2k19

Debutant
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"Under the changes, the man on the mark will be positioned an extra five metres back at kick-ins and players will be able to play on from the goalsquare without first kicking the ball to themselves" - this rule change will suit Rich to a T; sure he can go forward when the games on the line, but getting the ball halfway down the ground from a kick out will be a luxury most teams don't have.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
"Under the changes, the man on the mark will be positioned an extra five metres back at kick-ins and players will be able to play on from the goalsquare without first kicking the ball to themselves" - this rule change will suit Rich to a T; sure he can go forward when the games on the line, but getting the ball halfway down the ground from a kick out will be a luxury most teams don't have.

He can kick goals from there ;)

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure I remember him sitting in the hole or going back with the flight a few times in the last year or so

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure I remember him sitting in the hole or going back with the flight a few times in the last year or so

Got KO'd by Chaplin in his first season going back with the flight

All jest aside, I reckon Daniel's kicking has been far less penetrating since he did his ACL...I reckon the days of prodigious kicks have passed.
I think it is a confidence thing with Rich!
The start of this year and for parts of the year before he was very hit and miss. But the last part of this year his kicking was much better and he seemed to gain some of that confidence again.
I think we should expect big things from him this year. The roost from outside 50 will come and all he needs to do is kick 1 and then there will be no stopping him.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
All jest aside, I reckon Daniel's kicking has been far less penetrating since he did his ACL...I reckon the days of prodigious kicks have passed.
I reckon Tommy Cutler has a pretty decent roost on him, probably more so than Rich these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back