Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Anyone her make there own.
Just got my second batch marinating.
Soy, kecap manis and Stag's Breath liqueur as the liquid. (ran out of Worcestershire sauce)

Then add, garlic and onion powder.
Celery seed, cumin, black cumin, coriander, fennel and pepper corn medley lightly toasted in a pan and ground to a coarse consistency in a mortar and pestle.

Mix all together.

Chuck in two kg sliced beef. Just for easy I used Woolies heart smart beef which comes slice and has all the fat removed. Perfect for Jerky.
Will dehydrate tomorrow morning ready for beers tomorrow night

I used to make my own biltong when I lived up north.

If I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life it would be beef jerky/biltong.

I love me some jerky.

It's been a while since I made some of my own. I just used recipes I found online, marinated the meat in a big zip loc bag in the fridge overnight and did the oven with the wooden spoon in the opening to dry it out. Always turned out ok but I found it was pretty time consuming and its not like homebrew where you end up getting it super cheap compared to buying it.

I love me some jerky.

It's been a while since I made some of my own. I just used recipes I found online, marinated the meat in a big zip loc bag in the fridge overnight and did the oven with the wooden spoon in the opening to dry it out. Always turned out ok but I found it was pretty time consuming and its not like homebrew where you end up getting it super cheap compared to buying it.

Takes 10 minutes to do the marinade. Then into the fridge.
Dehydrate for 6-7 hours. Easy Peasy

I smash biltong in a drying box.

Cut the beef up, salt it for about an hour, put in a mix of apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar to soak and rinse in, put ground coriander seeds, pepper, chill, paprika, whatever other spices you like over that bad boy and hang it for a week or so.

Legit love it. I have to limit the amount I make because I just eat it... Addiction.

My hubby makes great bolting in the dehydrator. He gets the butcher to cut the meat an inch and a half against the grain with no cap. We get the South African spice mix and add to it. It’s great with some extra chilli. Then spray a vinegar wash on the meat, coat in the spices, let it marinade and dry out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back