Movie Root Cause - Netflix Doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
New doco on Netflix - Root Cause - about root canals, yes that wonderful dental procedure that I am sure many of you here on BF have enjoyed as well...

Anyway it could all be complete bs & I sort of hope it is as some of the claims made about links between cancer & root canals, esp breast cancer, and a multitude of other illnesses is kind of worrying. There isn't a lot of factual evidence to support most of the claims made in the show & a couple of the experts rolled out, yeah well I dunno. But one (ex?) dentist came across as legit & she appeared genuinely remorseful for having recommended & conducted the procedure.

The show is copping a bagging on movie review sites & they seem to have come out of the wood work on IMBD to give it low scores so maybe it has hit some home truths or raw nerves! (haha, yes that's a root canal 'in' joke:$, if you dont get it, lucky you!). Personally I thought it reasonably well made - it's follows the story of an Aussie guy who had a root canal at a young age & details his trials & tribulations while expanding out to cover issues raised by other health advocates/professionals.

So far Ive resisted the urge to see about getting my one & only root canal ripped out (yes, I'm sure that would be as much fun as it was getting it put in:eek:) so I'll wait to see what the wash up is after this doco has been out for a while. Will the industry pile enough s**t on it so the issues raised just fade away, or will something more come of it? Probably the former as if there were any vailidity to the breast cancer claims especially, surely this would have been raised before. Or maybe not. I have no idea where the truth lies at this point.

Oh & I did wonder at times what it looked like when the dentist was digging around in there that day...now I know (& cant un-see it;)) so you know, viewer beware.

Last edited:
Yes Netflix use the term documentary pretty loosely.....

https://www.todaysrdh.com/root-cause-netflix-documentary-lets-review-the-science/

Interesting read

To sum up we have one dentist whose research was severely flawed by today’s standards, another dentist who had his dental license revoked and was promoting unsubstantiated science, and lastly, we have a professor of chemistry marketing supplements to children without FDA approval or any research to support his claims that the supplement helps autism symptoms. I’ll let you digest that information and decide for yourself if these individuals can be trusted by your standards.

Netflix isn't alone with it's large library of "documentaries" and to be fair most if not all doco's are made by someone who has picked a side on the topic they are documenting.

But too many people see documentary as meaning non fiction, fact based, well researched and true

Yes Netflix use the term documentary pretty loosely.....

https://www.todaysrdh.com/root-cause-netflix-documentary-lets-review-the-science/

Interesting read

Netflix isn't alone with it's large library of "documentaries" and to be fair most if not all doco's are made by someone who has picked a side on the topic they are documenting.

But too many people see documentary as meaning non fiction, fact based, well researched and true

The problem I see with many of the types of scenarios is that it's very easy for one side - the profession - to undermine & rubbish any criticism that gets leveled against it - they are participants in a highly educated, skilled & lucrative industry, of course they will defend it to the death. Then we have the other side - usually not as highly educated or no longer practicing for whatever reasons, people with axes to grind. Their skin in the game is probably more emotionally linked.

The truth? Somewhere in between probably. I had my root canal done almost 20 years ago & it still feels kind of weird, hard to explain but roll your tongue over that row of teeth & you can feel which one is the dead *er. & what might still be going on in there? I have my suspicions...

The problem I see with many of the types of scenarios is that it's very easy for one side - the profession - to undermine & rubbish any criticism that gets leveled against it - they are participants in a highly educated, skilled & lucrative industry, of course they will defend it to the death. Then we have the other side - usually not as highly educated or no longer practicing for whatever reasons, people with axes to grind. Their skin in the game is probably more emotionally linked.

The truth? Somewhere in between probably. I had my root canal done almost 20 years ago & it still feels kind of weird, hard to explain but roll your tongue over that row of teeth & you can feel which one is the dead ******. & what might still be going on in there? I have my suspicions...
I get what you are saying and science isn't infallible, that article pointed to changing methods based on new testing

but they aren't putting up any documented evidence of a link, and these days it seems to be easier to undermine the science than believe it

everyone thinks the science is a conspiracy and the conspiracy is the truth

they didn't provide evidence that root canals cause cancer but you'd rather believe what they said than someone who says he can't find any proof of what they said being true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back