Does climate change actually matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Does climate change actually matter:-

We are told that if we don't do something about it, the world will be uninhabitable for our children's, children's, children's children's children etc, etc.

But firstly, none of us will be alive when this supposedly happens, so why is it our problem?

I bet in the Middle Ages, they didn't think "We need to act now, so that there is still a world in 2019". No, no other generation gave a toss what world they left us, so why does it fall on us?

Secondly, even if we do something about it, how do we know that future generations will also follow suit. Many millenials are selfish now, they might not be stuffed saving the enviroment down the track, so all our hard work might be undone.

Thirdly, how do we know in a couple of hundred years' time, we will even have a world we want to leave to future generations. Maybe the world will be more stuffed now than it is. Society is getting worse, not better. Maybe the Earth might be ripe by then to be put out of its misery.

So, I am not saying it isn't important at all, but why the obsession over something we will never get to see anyway?

Anyone further than your great grandchildren aren’t really your relatives anyway, so it doesn’t really matter.

They will find a way.

Does climate change actually matter:-

We are told that if we don't do something about it, the world will be uninhabitable for our children's, children's, children's children's children etc, etc.

But firstly, none of us will be alive when this supposedly happens, so why is it our problem?

I bet in the Middle Ages, they didn't think "We need to act now, so that there is still a world in 2019". No, no other generation gave a toss what world they left us, so why does it fall on us?

Secondly, even if we do something about it, how do we know that future generations will also follow suit. Many millenials are selfish now, they might not be stuffed saving the enviroment down the track, so all our hard work might be undone.

Thirdly, how do we know in a couple of hundred years' time, we will even have a world we want to leave to future generations. Maybe the world will be more stuffed now than it is. Society is getting worse, not better. Maybe the Earth might be ripe by then to be put out of its misery.

So, I am not saying it isn't important at all, but why the obsession over something we will never get to see anyway?

You might be a stupid old campaigner however it's already happening and I've probably got another 50 years of it ahead of me.

When heatwaves go longer than they would've and people who would've lived for years longer die, those are deaths due to climate change. In Australia. Every year.

**** you.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the evolution of the so called sceptics argument against climate change, from it's all bollocks through all the stages of denial until we've reached the point where the argument is we shouldn't bother doing anything about it because nobody else is, a laughably absurd premise in the first place. But given that throughout the debate they've been 100% wrong all of the time I struggle to understand why anyone gives them the time of day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are already seeing the effects now. It's probably too late to do anything.

As for millenials, they are more environmentally aware than the older generations.

many, not all. That you live a cushy life today is in great part down to those who came before you, fact.
That I live a cushy life today is in part to being lucky enough to have been born in Australia.

Luck is all it is

many, not all. That you live a cushy life today is in great part down to those who came before you, fact.
The reason many of us are living a cushy life is because the costs will be passed onto future generations, becuase we didnt factor in the enviroment costs of our cushy life today

To humanity as it is currently set up globally, with reasonable stability, and with the science to be fully aware, we have the obligation to do something about it collectively, especially as a proportion of the problem is self-made, largely attributable to recent enough living memory. History generally hasn't had the same communal and plight awareness to forecast the long view and do something about it.

But yeah, the future isn't enrolled to vote.

Does it matter to humankind and the species currently inhabiting the planet? Yes
Can we do anything to make a difference? Yes
Can we do anything to stop it? Doubt it
Will we do anything to make a meaningful difference? Doubt it

The real question is does it matter other than to humankind and the species currently inhabiting the planet, and the answer is no, not really. Humans are a tiny blip in the evolution of Planet Earth and if it gets too hot or cold for us to survive we won't survive and in 50 billion years time Jeff Goldblum will come along and tell us that life finds a way when the next life age kicks off. Unless we send some giant nuclear bomb into the planet core we're not killing the planet as such, we're just making it less and less inhabitable for the species that currently live on it.

Does it matter to humankind and the species currently inhabiting the planet? Yes
Can we do anything to make a difference? Yes
Can we do anything to stop it? Doubt it
Will we do anything to make a meaningful difference? Doubt it

The real question is does it matter other than to humankind and the species currently inhabiting the planet, and the answer is no, not really. Humans are a tiny blip in the evolution of Planet Earth and if it gets too hot or cold for us to survive we won't survive and in 50 billion years time Jeff Goldblum will come along and tell us that life finds a way when the next life age kicks off. Unless we send some giant nuclear bomb into the planet core we're not killing the planet as such, we're just making it less and less inhabitable for the species that currently live on it.

Read somewhere that an illegal nuclear test was done on a pacific island leading it to become uninhabitable and killing everything off. Yet 40 years later life returned and the place rejuvenated.

On a global level if humans died off and left the planet alone it would probably bounce back in 50 years.

Answering the OP in purely selfish terms No. But if every generation thought that we'd be in the stone age still and its doubtful we'd still be here.

I think that climate change certainly does matter but my question is what exactly is our/ human contribution in the overall scheme of things? I believe this is still up for debate.

I would also question that if humans are mostly or even nearly entirely responsible for climate change, why have there been many periods pre the industrial revolution where the climate has been higher than it is today?

You hear all these horror stories like how global warming is killing the Great Barrier Reef yet at the same time, an almost identical reef system in Papua New Guinea is flourishing.

Climate Change/ Global Warming from what i've read, is a Trillion dollar industry these days. Most of the revenues from this industry goes to government... at the same time, the US Obama government and our Gillard government were coming out with a whole heap of false statements or at least unproven statements to drive hysteria... the old 97% of scientists agree yada yada comment for example. At the same time, scientists were receiving funding as long as they were willing to push the agenda.

It was interesting watching a news reporter interviewing a climate scientist the other night about the recent Polar Vortex situation in the US. The reporter tried her hardest to push the climate change agenda yet whilst the scientist was happy to say he was a supporter of climate change, he wasn't willing to commit himself to agreeing that the phenomena was climate change related. Instead, all he was willing to say was that not enough was known at this stage and more research was required.

The other thing that gets me is that CO2 is made out to be this evil gas yet it has always been something that the planet has naturally produced and that everything on this planet relies upon for survival.

There is also very little mention of the ongoing activity of other natural gases in our environment that also contribute to climate change. Water vapour is a good example of this.

Also surprising is that lack of comment on sun activity and it's role in our changing climate. It has been shown that an increase in black spots on the sun's surface correlates with an increase in Earth's temperatures.

At this stage i feel climate change raises far more questions than what has been answered.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back