Entertainment & Music Pop/Alternative/Indie: What does it all mean? FWIW the terms are too broad

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
I've been trying to narrow down my playlists on Spotify and I've got a little bug bear with the definitions behind 'Pop', 'Alternative', and 'Indie' What do they actually mean, or represent? I might be on the spectrum, but I feel it's important to nail down specific styles of music within playlists and these terms don't allow for it.

Pop music is supposed to represent music that is mainstream and popular, but what about crossover. Many people loosely describe Pop music as the style but this is not quite right. You can hardly call The Black Keys, or Arctic Monkeys as Pop music.

So how exactly do you describe the branches of 'Pop' music.

I see the following:

'Pop'

Mitski is an interesting artist I struggle to categorize. Some croossover with Beck

Lana Del Rey, Mazzy Starr, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Cocteau Twins, Travis, Keane. (Similar style, sweeping dream like vocals) [Dream,Shoegaze]

Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Beck, Ben Folds, Hozier (Clean crisp vocals, simple instrumentals) [Baroque]

Katy Perry, Pink, Pharell, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande (simple chord progressions, non complex, synthesizers, less emphasis on rock beats, more on vocals)

Genres that have intertwined with 'Pop' Keith Urban, Shaniah Twain, Brad Paisley, John Mayer, Anderson, James Bay, Leon Bridges, Anderson East, Usher, Newer songs of Alisha Keys (genres that have lost their roots and merged with 'pop' music to deliver a more electronic/auto tune feel.

Modern RnB in general has lost it's roots and seems more 'pop' orientated than anything.

'Synth Pop' Self explanatory

'Alternative Indie'
This is a real bug bear of mine. After compiling a list of alternative songs, I've discovered that it's too broad and really don't like the term at all. The term seems to coin any song NOT mainstream as alternative or Indie but doesn't describe the music style at all. I want to narrow my playlists not broaden them.

Lumineers and Edward Sharp and the Magnetic zeroes are more aptly identified as Folk.

Black Keys, Royal Blood, The National, Editors, all classified as Alternative/Indie, but really more like punk/blues/hard rock

Eels, Grant Lee Buffalo, Dandy Warholes, Pixies, Weezer, James, Nada Surf, Feeder [don't know how to describe this genre]

I'm big on genres being stricter because it allows for better identification of music that maintains it's roots.

RnB is a huge one for this. The traditional RnB keeps to it's chilled beats and smooth vocals, slight branch off Soul. I don't think it's right to classify pop style RnB like Chris Brown, and recent Usher tunes with Classic/Traditional RnB.

Metal, same thing, numerous styles. The 'pop' styles are trash. You've got Extreme (More than Words), Opeth, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot.

Thoughts? How would you describe, and categorize music. I do understand it can be highly difficult to categorize music. I'm having a hard time doing so for the Eels, and Grant Lee Buffalo other than to categorize it as Blues Rock.

Last edited:

Grant Lee Buffalo were definitely considered alternative rock at the time (for example they were the support acts on the Smashing Pumpkins Melon Collie tour for a while to give an idea of the audience crossover) but Wikipedia describes them as Americana which is probably appropriate, and also for GLP's solo work. I'd place Black Keys, The Raconteurs, early Kings Of Leon into that classification as well so there must be an element of blues or Southern music, maybe some dixie etc.

There is no strict definition of genres, it's just a label to give you an idea of how a band might sound before you listen to it (that's all I use genres for anyway)
I was piling everything into Alternative, then realized I wanted to listen to certain styles, and categorize them accordingly

If I think of RnB I think of Otis Redding or Big Joe Turner.
So do you like Fugees, Lauren Hill. Or you're more about soul.
JJ Cale, Sam Cooke, Jimmy Ruffin........
Grant Lee Buffalo were definitely considered alternative rock at the time (for example they were the support acts on the Smashing Pumpkins Melon Collie tour for a while to give an idea of the audience crossover) but Wikipedia describes them as Americana which is probably appropriate, and also for GLP's solo work. I'd place Black Keys, The Raconteurs, early Kings Of Leon into that classification as well so there must be an element of blues or Southern music, maybe some dixie etc.
I did an artist radio for GLB, got Eddie Vedder, Triffids, Eels
1663545501706.png

I was piling everything into Alternative, then realized I wanted to listen to certain styles, and categorize them accordingly

I have a metal, electronic, hip hop and rock playlists. "Rock" is basically anything that doesn't fit the other three, so I pretty much go from Fleetwood Mac to Limp Bizkit and all sorts of random s**t inbetween.

I have a metal, electronic, hip hop and rock playlists. "Rock" is basically anything that doesn't fit the other three, so I pretty much go from Fleetwood Mac to Limp Bizkit and all sorts of random s**t inbetween.
I like separating punk rock classic rock and soft rock, and stuff like Pink Floyd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The falling away of guitar as a popular instrument has blurred the lines for alternative/indie.

I think an easy way would be to add a decade when necessary. 90's alternative. Sets it apart from the more toothless modern music labelled as alternative.
Same works for RnB.

I've been trying to narrow down my playlists on Spotify and I've got a little bug bear with the definitions behind 'Pop', 'Alternative', and 'Indie' What do they actually mean, or represent? I might be on the spectrum, but I feel it's important to nail down specific styles of music within playlists and these terms don't allow for it.

Pop music is supposed to represent music that is mainstream and popular, but what about crossover. Many people loosely describe Pop music as the style but this is not quite right. You can hardly call The Black Keys, or Arctic Monkeys as Pop music.

So how exactly do you describe the branches of 'Pop' music.

I see the following:

'Pop'

Mitski is an interesting artist I struggle to categorize. Some croossover with Beck

Lana Del Rey, Mazzy Starr, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Cocteau Twins, Travis, Keane. (Similar style, sweeping dream like vocals) [Dream,Shoegaze]

Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Beck, Ben Folds, Hozier (Clean crisp vocals, simple instrumentals) [Baroque]

Katy Perry, Pink, Pharell, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande (simple chord progressions, non complex, synthesizers, less emphasis on rock beats, more on vocals)

Genres that have intertwined with 'Pop' Keith Urban, Shaniah Twain, Brad Paisley, John Mayer, Anderson, James Bay, Leon Bridges, Anderson East, Usher, Newer songs of Alisha Keys (genres that have lost their roots and merged with 'pop' music to deliver a more electronic/auto tune feel.

Modern RnB in general has lost it's roots and seems more 'pop' orientated than anything.

'Synth Pop' Self explanatory

'Alternative Indie'
This is a real bug bear of mine. After compiling a list of alternative songs, I've discovered that it's too broad and really don't like the term at all. The term seems to coin any song NOT mainstream as alternative or Indie but doesn't describe the music style at all. I want to narrow my playlists not broaden them.

Lumineers and Edward Sharp and the Magnetic zeroes are more aptly identified as Folk.

Black Keys, Royal Blood, The National, Editors, all classified as Alternative/Indie, but really more like punk/blues/hard rock

Eels, Grant Lee Buffalo, Dandy Warholes, Pixies, Weezer, James, Nada Surf, Feeder [don't know how to describe this genre]

I'm big on genres being stricter because it allows for better identification of music that maintains it's roots.

RnB is a huge one for this. The traditional RnB keeps to it's chilled beats and smooth vocals, slight branch off Soul. I don't think it's right to classify pop style RnB like Chris Brown, and recent Usher tunes with Classic/Traditional RnB.

Metal, same thing, numerous styles. The 'pop' styles are trash. You've got Extreme (More than Words), Opeth, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot.

Thoughts? How would you describe, and categorize music. I do understand it can be highly difficult to categorize music. I'm having a hard time doing so for the Eels, and Grant Lee Buffalo other than to categorize it as Blues Rock.

Your OP on music is the same as my issue with player classifications.

If only there was a board for in-depth music discussion...
if only there was a board for general discussion where people could talk about pretty much anything

if only there was a board for general discussion where people could talk about pretty much anything
Soz for suggesting to post a thread where it's most likely to get the best discussion.

Of course, feel free to share what genre you'd classify the latest Perfume Genius album as.

Soz for suggesting to post a thread where it's most likely to get the best discussion.

Of course, feel free to share what genre you'd classify the latest Perfume Genius album as.
Well given I've never heard of Perfume Genius I'm going with country and or western

if you're a real genre buff then get yourself a rateyourmusic account. They go real deep and specific with their genres.

Sadly they don't interact with Spotify yet so you can't sync your albums/songs/genres/playlists/likes etc between the two but I remember reading on their roadmap they were planning on making it happen one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back