Social Science What do you think about?

Remove this Banner Ad

On the radio the other day they were discussing the theory of eternal life.

Now that... is a weird one to try and consider. Is life really that great to want to live forever?

What about if everything in your brain (memories, thoughts, cognitive ability etc) could be downloaded onto a physical device so your brain could live forever? Maybe it would be hell being trapped in an external hard drive for eternity but you'd become pretty smart after 1000 years or so.

What about if everything in your brain (memories, thoughts, cognitive ability etc) could be downloaded onto a physical device so your brain could live forever? Maybe it would be hell being trapped in an external hard drive for eternity but you'd become pretty smart after 1000 years or so.
Is that from a TV show?

Is that from a TV show?

Probably, I read about it in an IT article actually, it could be possible but might have a lot of ramifications we don't know about.

It's also the premise of the song "One" by Metallica sort of, a guy in war gets his arms and legs blown off and basically has nothing but his conscious thought.

Probably, I read about it in an IT article actually, it could be possible but might have a lot of ramifications we don't know about.

It's also the premise of the song "One" by Metallica sort of, a guy in war gets his arms and legs blown off and basically has nothing but his conscious thought.
Lol nah, I thought you were quoting David Brent there for a sec. Nm

On the radio the other day they were discussing the theory of eternal life.

Now that... is a weird one to try and consider. Is life really that great to want to live forever?
I feel like that is something I contemplated as a kid often enough that I haven't dwelt upon it in adulthood, you get it out of the way in a sense. As a kid you read about mythology and the gods, and in fantastical stories there is always that quest for something that would grant you that wish. When you get older vampires offer a more sober take.

But time might feel different at different stages of life. Time moves so slowly as a kid and then when older and you feel mortality you might wish you had more time (or feel horror at the thought of staying old and decrepit forever). Worth revisiting at different ages, but the concept of eternal life is the kind of thing most kids are confronted with at some stage, especially in our age when scientific advance means some semblance of lasting doesn't seem all that implausible. It's a good starter thought for imagining how society and existence might reshape if such were to come to pass. The powers that be would probably still find some way to maintain the status quo, still jobs, still some needful carrots, still some sense of hierarchy, still the same ills that plague mankind, and life whether temporal or eternal would still be driven by much the same underlying impulse.

Last edited:
I feel like that is something I contemplated as a kid often enough that I haven't dwelt upon it in adulthood, you get it out of the way in a sense. As a kid you read about mythology and the gods, and in fantastical stories there is always that quest for something that would grant you that wish. When you get older vampires offer a more sober take.

But time might feel different at different stages of life. Time moves so slowly as a kid and then when older and you feel mortality you might wish you had more time (or feel horror at the thought of staying old and decrepit forever). Worth revisiting at different ages, but the concept of eternal life is the kind of thing most kids are confronted with at some stage, especially in our age when scientific advance means some semblance of lasting doesn't seem all that implausible. It's a good starter thought for imagining how society and existence might reshape if such were to come to pass. The powers that be would probably still find some way to maintain the status quo, still jobs, still some needful carrots, still some sense of hierarchy, still the same ills that plague mankind, and life whether temporal or eternal would still be driven by much the same underlying impulse.
no thanks... im in my mid 40's and things are starting to lose their excitment
  • been there done that
  • heard it before
  • i remember when it first come out
  • its just a remake of.....
  • the faxmachine is just a waffle iron with a phone attached,

Written by Steve Yegge perchance?

Gawd, if I write what I think about here, someone will send a team around with a padded suit for me!

On 9/11, I would’ve loved a Frederick Wiseman style couple hour documentary spent inside the towers pre-9/11 to preserve the daily life vibe there. Wish he’d done that at some point, maybe 1990-ish when he shifted into stuff like Central Park and Aspen.

I don’t think about Ancient Rome often, it isn’t a civilisation of particular fascination, save its literary incursions like biblical, Shakespeare, Latin literature, etc. I sometimes imagine being in the prehistory Dreamtime, when you get alone in these landscapes, lost under the sun or in the wild sounds time can disappear and you imagine yourself many millennia ago travelling and foraging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think about the Soviet Union and what it would have been like living there a lot. I would love to go back in time and experience it. My mum's sister did a trip there back in the 70s. Of course she only saw what the Soviets wanted her to see but it still would have been so interesting.

I wish I could have been on the rooftop with the Beatles. They had a few issues recording the Let It Be album but when they played it live they were just four mates, all on top of their game and seemed to love playing together. The boys were even spurred on by the coppers arriving. It's one of the most iconic moments in pop music history.

The Roman Empire a few times a week
I'd say about once every 6 months I remember that the Roman Empire was in England. I find that weird.
The Romans built Hadrian's Wall which is pretty far north.

I was thinking about the Roman Empire last week. One of the main reasons Islam exists is that the Romans didn't conquer the Arabian Peninsula and convert it to Christianity.

Age 15-20 and the chances I should have taken or the signs I missed with the opposite sex.

Haunts me daily

1. Death - I just completed my will and am working on Power of Attorney and End of Life. I also have written down my wishes for after I die, including my funeral service.

2. Las Vegas - I think about it every day and the fun I had going there about 30 times when I lived in the States. I wish I could go just one more time.

3. Winning the Lotto(an ungodly amount) - I think about what I'd give to friends and a few family members and living in my own home to be cared for instead of my retirement village and eventual old age care facility in a few years.

4. The places I've visited in my 71 years of life - I am so glad that I travelled when I was young, because now I am not able to travel.

5. When I first arrived in Australia in 1975 and how different it is now - I'm happy that I experienced Melbourne when life was much slower paced, yet still exciting for a 20+ year old.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

People like you reading this. Posters. What are they doing. What do they look like. Would we get on in real life if we met.

I'm in my car doing emails on my laptop before a meeting (ok I'm on Bigfooty). Apparently I look like Walter Matthau or Michael McIntyre. Not sure on the third point, everyone kinda hates me IRL so probs not.

I'm in my car doing emails on my laptop before a meeting (ok I'm on Bigfooty). Apparently I look like Walter Matthau or Michael McIntyre. Not sure on the third point, everyone kinda hates me IRL so probs not.
People say I look like Keanu Reeves.
I dont see it, and obviously I cant even spell his name.

When I was in my 20s I was told I looked like John Denver. Now that he's dead, I probably look more like him.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back