Does climate change actually matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't give a toss about climate change. If I do what I can, the 50 billion people in China aren't so it's all for nothing anyway. My children's, children's children better evolve to have flippers if the ice caps melt.

I couldn't give a toss about climate change. If I do what I can, the 50 billion people in China aren't so it's all for nothing anyway. My children's, children's children better evolve to have flippers if the ice caps melt.

The ice caps have melted before... and then re-frozen just like the planet has frozen and then thawed.

Does climate change actually matter:-

We are told that if we don't do something about it, the world will be uninhabitable for our children's, children's, children's children's children etc, etc.

But firstly, none of us will be alive when this supposedly happens, so why is it our problem?

I bet in the Middle Ages, they didn't think "We need to act now, so that there is still a world in 2019". No, no other generation gave a toss what world they left us, so why does it fall on us?

Secondly, even if we do something about it, how do we know that future generations will also follow suit. Many millenials are selfish now, they might not be stuffed saving the enviroment down the track, so all our hard work might be undone.

Thirdly, how do we know in a couple of hundred years' time, we will even have a world we want to leave to future generations. Maybe the world will be more stuffed now than it is. Society is getting worse, not better. Maybe the Earth might be ripe by then to be put out of its misery.

So, I am not saying it isn't important at all, but why the obsession over something we will never get to see anyway?
In 1709 most of Europe was under 10ft of ice

Even less reason for me to spend time and energy worrying about it then?
Adelaide hills, blue mountains, snowy mountains etc are about to get expensive WA NT middle of QLD ur r f$@%ed. Tasmania is now the centre of the universe

Stopped reading at "why is it our problem?"
Well the climate change people dont want to lower green house emissions .We have to cut out cows and other livestock basically all be vego's, all drive electric cars, greatly take up nuclear energy.

Climate Change cheer squad wants us take up solar dont build co as l power plants and live in a cave. If the greens dont tske it seriously why should anyone else?

Well the climate change people dont want to lower green house emissions .We have to cut out cows and other livestock basically all be vego's, all drive electric cars, greatly take up nuclear energy.

Climate Change cheer squad wants us take up solar dont build co as l power plants and live in a cave. If the greens dont tske it seriously why should anyone else?
Thats a nice story you tell, did you make it up yourself or read someone else fairy tale?

I think that climate change certainly does matter but my question is what exactly is our/ human contribution in the overall scheme of things? I believe this is still up for debate.

I would also question that if humans are mostly or even nearly entirely responsible for climate change, why have there been many periods pre the industrial revolution where the climate has been higher than it is today?

You hear all these horror stories like how global warming is killing the Great Barrier Reef yet at the same time, an almost identical reef system in Papua New Guinea is flourishing.

Climate Change/ Global Warming from what i've read, is a Trillion dollar industry these days. Most of the revenues from this industry goes to government... at the same time, the US Obama government and our Gillard government were coming out with a whole heap of false statements or at least unproven statements to drive hysteria... the old 97% of scentists agree yada yada comment for example. At the same time, scientists were receiving funding if they were willing to push the agenda.

It was interesting watching a news reporter interviewing a climate scientist the other night about the recent Polar Vortex situation in the US. The reporter tried her hardest to push the climate change agenda yet whilst the scientist was happy to say he was a supporter of climate change, he wasn't willing to commit himself to agreeing that the phenomena was climate change related. Instead, all he was willing to say was that not enough was known at this stage and more research was required.

The other thing that gets me is that CO2 is made out to be this evil gas yet it has always been something that the planet has naturally produced and that everything on this planet relies upon for survival.

There is also very little mention of the ongoing activity of other natural gases in our environment that also contribute to climate change. Water vapour is a good example of this.

Also surprising is that lack of comment on sun activity and it's role in our changing climate.

At this stage i feel climate change raises far more questions than what has been answered.
There is a bit around about methane which has increased due to the cattle needed for our meat industry hence the recommendation to be less reliant on it.

CO2 is all good but we've destroyed a lot of forest that would normally soak it up.

This attitude is wrong and right at the same time.

If Australia ceased all human activity tomorrow, the impact would be negligible. Population growth and urbanisation in China and India would wipe out our reduction in no time.

But we can be leaders and we can modify our behaviour. We don't have to export coal, and we don't have to buy imported goods from polluters. But we do because it increases our purchasing power. We used to mine asbestos, use CFCs etc. and stopped.

Even climate change really is a big furphy pollution isn't. Perth is more polluted (river, air quality) than it was 50 years ago but compared to most cities is still very clean. I'd like it to stay that way. I've been to Beijing and **** that. Phase out burning coal (and petrol/diesel), plant more native vegetation, don't dump rubbish or fertilisers into the river. Then stock up on SPF100 because it will still get hot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a nice story you tell, did you make it up yourself or read someone else fairy tale?
No they dont take it seriously they talk about renewables, some of them stupidly put forward that they are cheaper than coal, when germany is attempting to remove coal emission but they are struggling to find the huge amounts of money to build it and worst the massive subsidies to industry and households it would entail. Germany already has the most expensive power in Europe due to renewables and refuse to use more cheap French nuclear power.

Roughly emissions transport 25% agriculture 20%, power 25% industry/households 20% forestry other 10%. Greens focus on some solar panels or a wind farms that dont anywhere near match removing cows sheep and pigs from the equation.

Yes the greens only believe in fairytails, they have too hard s time with science.

Does climate change actually matter:-

We are told that if we don't do something about it, the world will be uninhabitable for our children's, children's, children's children's children etc, etc.

But firstly, none of us will be alive when this supposedly happens, so why is it our problem?

I bet in the Middle Ages, they didn't think "We need to act now, so that there is still a world in 2019". No, no other generation gave a toss what world they left us, so why does it fall on us?

Secondly, even if we do something about it, how do we know that future generations will also follow suit. Many millenials are selfish now, they might not be stuffed saving the enviroment down the track, so all our hard work might be undone.

Thirdly, how do we know in a couple of hundred years' time, we will even have a world we want to leave to future generations. Maybe the world will be more stuffed now than it is. Society is getting worse, not better. Maybe the Earth might be ripe by then to be put out of its misery.

So, I am not saying it isn't important at all, but why the obsession over something we will never get to see anyway?

greenies by action say no

hydro and nuclear are the only proven power generation models that work. Delivering 30-80g of CO2 per kwhr

Yet greenies support wind and solar, which in 2035 and after 45 years of effort and billions wasted, deliver a marginal improvement in Germany's CO2 emissions. Germany will be in in 400-500g per kwhr.

given the greenies don't care about CO2 emissions, clearly climate change isn't the issue promoted. Personally I would prefer we see action that delivers cheap, reliable, safe and clean power.

Did I accidentally end up on the Conspiracy Theories board?

I'm not really sure if you can paint this issue with the same brush as the moon landing or 9/11. Unless of course there is some sort of conclusive or mostly accepted scientific study that accurately quantifies the human influence on climate change you're aware of that I'm not?

I'm not really sure if you can paint this issue with the same brush as the moon landing or 9/11. Unless of course there is some sort of conclusive or mostly accepted scientific study that accurately quantifies the human influence on climate change you're aware of that I'm not?
Try google

I'm sure that most of us would agree that human related CO2 would have some impact on climate change, the question is to what extent exactly...
our impact is more than just human related C02

Remove this Banner Ad

Back