Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we really play two ruck men sized KPD in Moore and Roughie? Worth a go I suppose, and I know Moore is amazingly athletic for his size, but ya really worry about it being top heavy...

Also, I very much doubt Roughie will be playing 2nd ruck if playing in defence

Why Not?

Can we really play two ruck men sized KPD in Moore and Roughie? Worth a go I suppose, and I know Moore is amazingly athletic for his size, but ya really worry about it being top heavy...

Don't see why not. It'd come down to the individuals and as you say Moore is extremely athletic.

I agree RE the ruck, very rare for a KPD to give that 2nd ruck chop out.

I wouldn't imagine both would be played unless absolutely necessary ie. tall match ups. Besides it's a bit early to set the team given the potential competition for spots down back and the fact that Dunn will no doubt be pushing for selection at some stage.

Given the new 6-6-6 a second ruckman in Roughy will be almost necessary and can make Coxy a permanent forward. So I think he'll have a great use this season.

I say Cox becoming a Permant FF is why we want Roughead to be 2nd Ruck

Interestingly if we play all of these guys Roughead, Moore, Cox and Grundy at once were so incredibly covered for ruck duty.

Grundy does the bulk work and is all but the best ruck in the league.

Roughead as full back can cover ruck work down back if required.

Moore also down back can do so and he’d be an amazing ruck I reckon.

Cox can cover forward.

We’re chock full of ruck goodness.

I can't agree with that Dave. Firstly, I think Cox is a very good 2nd ruck. Very tall, huge leap. With the 6, 6, 6 he would be a weapon. Secondly, playing ruck helps his game. In those games where he can't get a kick at FF, running around and taking a few marks around the ground gets his confidence up. Finally, I can't think of any other teams that have a 2nd ruck who plays defence. I think there is a good reason for this. Lets say Roughie is playing on Hawkins and round 1 and doing a great job. The last thing you want is for the oppositions gun KPF to get off the leash and kick a couple of goals whilst the FB is playing in the ruck. It would also be a great time for the opposition to go tall in attack whilst we are going small in defence cause our FB is in the ruck

IMG_9397.jpg

New recruit Jordan Roughead speaks at a Youth Girls Season Launch in Sale

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-02-13/pies-give-back-to-the-latrobe-valley-community

I can't agree with that Dave. Firstly, I think Cox is a very good 2nd ruck. Very tall, huge leap. With the 6, 6, 6 he would be a weapon. Secondly, playing ruck helps his game. In those games where he can't get a kick at FF, running around and taking a few marks around the ground gets his confidence up. Finally, I can't think of any other teams that have a 2nd ruck who plays defence. I think there is a good reason for this. Lets say Roughie is playing on Hawkins and round 1 and doing a great job. The last thing you want is for the oppositions gun KPF to get off the leash and kick a couple of goals whilst the FB is playing in the ruck. It would also be a great time for the opposition to go tall in attack whilst we are going small in defence cause our FB is in the ruck

Then what IF Cox is Marking Everything and Kicking a Bag then?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're old enough to remember the cardboard ruck story, I'm sure?! ;) Fortunately Grundy/Cox is a much more formidable combination than Fraser/McKee. :)
You’re a funny guy.
The way you tell a story.
You’re a good fellow.

You’re a funny guy.
The way you tell a story.
You’re a good fellow.
You're plucking haikus out of every cyber orifice at your disposal! Are you sure you're not that poster with the Mt Fuji avatar, good old, whatshisname, Pieku!?

Some posters come, and they go, bathe briefly in the bigfooty spotlight, then dissipate into obscurity. There are those who are constant, almost omnipresent, like yourself, SV, the composer of 40289 rapid fire but warmly scribed posts, or the great man, Dave, with 155689 powerful communications to his adoring devotees, and then Pieku's ephemeral, cunningly crafted eastern slant on all things spiritual in black and white.

Sadly, our poet has temporarily disconnected from the forum, though I'd not be surprised should the familiar avatar of Mt Fuji fronted by a mirrored lake and framed by sprigs of cherry blossom, partner a finely chiseled haiku into an early season thread. Pieku, no doubt, is lurking, seeking a suitable muse to inspire a syllabic utterance. (Last seen on Monday according to his profile.:))

Last edited:
You're plucking haikus out of every cyber orifice at your disposal! Are you sure you're not that poster with the Mt Fuji avatar, good old, whatshisname, Pieku!?

Some posters come, and they go, bathe briefly in the bigfooty spotlight, then dissipate into obscurity. There are those who are constant, almost omnipresent, like yourself, SV, the composer of 40289 rapid fire but warmly scribed posts, or the great man, Dave, with 155689 powerful communications to his adoring devotees, and then Pieku's ephemeral, cunningly crafted eastern slant on all things spiritual in black and white.

Sadly, our poet has temporarily disconnected from the forum, though I'd not be surprised should the familiar avatar of Mt Fuji fronted by a mirrored lake and framed by sprigs of cherry blossom, partner a finely chiseled haiku into an early season thread. Pieku, no doubt, is lurking, seeking a suitable muse to inspire a syllabic utterance. (Last seen on Monday according to his profile.:))
I am not pieku,
Alas such posts are long gone,
Our Board less for that

Interestingly if we play all of these guys Roughead, Moore, Cox and Grundy at once were so incredibly covered for ruck duty.

Grundy does the bulk work and is all but the best ruck in the league.

Roughead as full back can cover ruck work down back if required.

Moore also down back can do so and he’d be an amazing ruck I reckon.

Cox can cover forward.

We’re chock full of ruck goodness.

If we play all four of those guys in the same team we won't win too many games. Just too tall plus Roughead and Cox are piece meal type players. Can't use too many of those at the same time.

If we play all four of those guys in the same team we won't win too many games. Just too tall plus Roughead and Cox are piece meal type players. Can't use too many of those at the same time.
If roughy takes FB;
Moore takes CHB;
Cox FF;

Grundy as ruck.

Can’t see any issues myself.

Roughead and Cox makes for a weak spine. That won't always hold up if we're serious.

I think we firstly need to see what Roughy actually offers before drawing too many conclusions. I'm also not sure it's any weaker than the Cox - Goldsack spine from 2018 finals matches that also didn't include Moore or potentially Reid.

From the silent air
of pure light, clearest view:
a return, to form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back