Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that feeling too, he seems to be blending in well . He and Grundy could swap glasses and you wouldn't know it.
Although it is too early to tell, you wonder how a May would have fitted in.

Not Sure but when Langdon and Moore Re-Signed we did not have a Big of a Need down back and we also did not have the Currency to get May

The Dayne Beams bombshell received a heap of the trade-time attention.

The will-he-or-won’t-he break his Brisbane contract was certainly a dramatic storyline as the Pies handed over two first-round picks for the All-Australian midfielder.

But it was Collingwood’s other, much-less-talked about end-of-season move which could ultimately prove to be even more important for the Pies’ flag prospects.

Certainly, the decision to snare former Western Bulldogs’ big man Jordan Roughead with pick No.75, even though he was a free agent, looks to be one of the most astute additions of the exchange period.

The premiership big man is not only on track to stand Tom Hawkins in the blockbuster season-opener against Geelong, he single-handedly addresses Collingwood’s biggest vulnerability.

This swap for a fifth-round pick has effectively popped a Panadol on Nathan Buckley’s greatest on-field worry for 2019.

The beauty of Roughead, 28, is that he can play reliable key defence, where Collingwood was severely tested last year, and can help cover ruckman Brodie Grundy.

Grundy going down injured was previously the doomsday scenario for the Pies.

Somehow, he played 26 matches last year.

But even if Grundy misses games, they’ve now got an athletic premiership big man as an adequate replacement.

While the past two years have been a write-off for a lot of Bulldogs, we remember how important Roughead was in the 2016 flag, recovering from a serious eye injury to take on the Swans.

The Pies could use Mason Cox as back-up ruck, but the truth is they don’t want to.

Collingwood desperately wants to keep Cox in attack to maintain the same forward structure.

Roughead’s role this year will be to stand the most dangerous key forward, and then give Grundy 5-10 minutes a quarter chop-out in the ruck.

Collingwood was beaten in the aerial battle by West Coast twice in September and the Pies subsequently put up the trade period Bat signal.

The club was forced to use veteran Tyson Goldsack, following his remarkable six-month recovery from a knee reconstruction, on spearhead Josh Kennedy. An unenviable task for an under-sized defender, and Goldsack performed valiantly.

But six months on, that job would now go to 138-gamer Roughead or Darcy Moore. Maybe Lynden Dunn.

Ben Reid could start in the VFL as a forward unless he leapfrogs Brodie Mihocek in the JLT Series.

Suddenly, the Pies have key position depth.

The new Collingwood role is a big change for Roughead from recent years where he played only three per cent game time in defence last year, and four per cent in 2016.

Ironically, Roughead seemed headed for the Eagles until things fell through and Collingwood list chief Ned Guy swooped with a two-year deal. West Coast ended up with ex-Saint Tom Hickey.

The bonus for Collingwood is that Roughead is a fabulous locker room guy, and was one of the most popular players at the Kennel, before things went sideways.

Adam Treloar said the Pies were thrilled with Roughead’s summer.

“He has been first class for us,” Treloar said.

“He’s really going to strengthen up wherever he plays. His experience and versatility is unreal.”

Roughead’s form hasn’t been great over the past two years, and perhaps the fresh start is a good thing.

He’ll have a point to prove and for Collingwood, his arrival comes at the perfect time.

You can hear Bucks breathe a sigh of relief from here.

Article is spot on. Bloke has not missed a training session since he arrived mid november, and everything I have seen; he has impressed not just me but a few training-goers. May have been gotten for depth, but don't be surprised if he cracks into the best 22 because everything he has been doing, he is working as hard as anyone else. Very strong defensive force.

Article is spot on. Bloke has not missed a training session since he arrived mid november, and everything I have seen; he has impressed not just me but a few training-goers. May have been gotten for depth, but don't be surprised if he cracks into the best 22 because everything he has been doing, he is working as hard as anyone else. Very strong defensive force.
I reckon he’s a great pick up. Players who have contributed to premierships are difficult to come by.

Good on him; he’s worked hard.
Deserves his opportunity.
Great character too.

One of the best blokes in football. Will be a slower defender but I'd back him against Tom Hawkins and the remaining gorilla forwards.

Defense is not something he has done often. I think I read only a small percentage he has done it, but he has been training for that most of the time so far. But he can play multiple positions. You could even play him forward with the height he has on him, given we don't have many talls. But tall defenders don't come by very easily.

I'm looking forward to what he can produce.

The defensive set up of Roughy Dunn and Moore with Langas Howe Maynard and Crisp is near on perfect.
Moore can play freely And does not be overly accountable so to Howe.
Roughy chops out in the ruck and Moore just takes his man.
Also then swinging Moore and Rough to catch the opp off guard. It's made our D50 a weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will please TheGreatGrundy no end.

:)

A great haiku lover from way back
A slight reworking of your first line and TRS has indeed created a haiku from your post. I have often thought that the layout of your posts lends itself to making a poetic statement, SV. Perhaps you should seek to create poetry out of them. There are many forms you could aim for - haikus, cinquains, nonets, concrete (maybe in the shape of a player) or even free form. No need to extend yourself to 14 line sonnets with rhyming couplet finishes, unless you wish to wax lyrically and lovingly about Scharenberg or another of your favourites.

What happened to the poster who used to regularly compose haikus about matters pertaining to Collingwood or its players?

A slight reworking of your first line and TRS has indeed created a haiku from your post. I have often thought that the layout of your posts lends itself to making a poetic statement, SV. Perhaps you should seek to create poetry out of them. There are many forms you could aim for - haikus, cinquains, nonets, concrete (maybe in the shape of a player) or even free form. No need to extend yourself to 14 line sonnets with rhyming couplet finishes, unless you wish to wax lyrically and lovingly about Scharenberg or another of your favourites.

What happened to the poster who used to regularly compose haikus about matters pertaining to Collingwood or its players?
I was thinking sonnets.

A Rose by any name would small just as sweet.

Defense is not something he has done often. I think I read only a small percentage he has done it, but he has been training for that most of the time so far.
He actually played quite a bit of full-back as a junior and under McCartney for two full years before switching back to ruck.
I still rate him as one of the best contested marks in the competition, especially under the high ball.

His issue was really injury as a ruckman - he had one injury free year in the ruck (2016) which was clearly his best year. He really just needs continuity.

He actually played quite a bit of full-back as a junior and under McCartney for two full years before switching back to ruck.
I still rate him as one of the best contested marks in the competition, especially under the high ball.

His issue was really injury as a ruckman - he had one injury free year in the ruck (2016) which was clearly his best year. He really just needs continuity.
Nice to see Mofra here on our board.

Just don’t let him rate one of ours in his bottom 50.

A slight reworking of your first line and TRS has indeed created a haiku from your post. I have often thought that the layout of your posts lends itself to making a poetic statement, SV. Perhaps you should seek to create poetry out of them.
Thanks for noticing.
Tinkered with the second, too.
Love a good haiku. :)

Roughead’s role this year will be to stand the most dangerous key forward, and then give Grundy 5-10 minutes a quarter chop-out in the ruck.

Can we really play two ruck men sized KPD in Moore and Roughie? Worth a go I suppose, and I know Moore is amazingly athletic for his size, but ya really worry about it being top heavy...

Also, I very much doubt Roughie will be playing 2nd ruck if playing in defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back