Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard an interview with the williamstown coach yesterday. He said Cavarra is a Clay Smith/Liam Picken type player. Any truth to this? I had him picked as a goal sneak not a tough as guts forward. Would be a good get if he can play a similar role as those 2 guys.

Sadly I'd almost rather a goal sneak. We haven't had one since Stringer 2015...

Sadly I'd almost rather a goal sneak. We haven't had one since Stringer 2015...
Smith and Picken were both handy goalsneaks in 2016. I think Cav is compared to them in that he has a high defensive pressure/hard tackling edge to his game whilst being crafty enough to snare a goal or 2 most weeks. If he can produce that at AFL level, he'll be a most welcome addition.

Just watched the ‘Sounds of Match Simulation’ video put up by the club. The footage of Bont got me excited in the loins, as did the sight of Gowers kicking goals.

Sorry, I mis-read your post. Quite often the open training sessions are on a weekday. Maybe you should forward the club your schedule and they can work around you.
Hardly his point. Plenty of other clubs advertise open training sessions in advance which makes it easier to arrange to be there. Not really asking much to request > 3 days' notice.

Thursday/Friday afternoons are clearly match simulation sessions.

I think I'll sneak away next week, put on the Ghillie suit and summit Mt. Mistake set up camp for two days and get a proper look at a real training session.

Buddy looks unlikely to play Round 1. Last year, we lost by 7 points while playing Naughton as the sole key defender.

Cordy, Morris, Adams and Trengove were all injured (Cordy suspended), while Crozier, Picken and Libba were all missing too. Played one of the weakest sides all year, and Buddy tore us apart only for us to lose by such a small margin.

Surely we are going in as favourites now, will be great if we can start the year with a win which should be the case

Swans will go in $1.50 favs and deservedly so.

They finished 6th winning 14 games and we finished 13th winning 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans will go in $1.50 favs and deservedly so.

They finished 6th winning 14 games and we finished 13th winning 8.
Brisbane flogged the s**t out of the Hawks twice last year. Carlton constantly beats Essendon. Saints drew GWS. We got made piss by Fremantle in the final round of 2016 before going on to win the premiership.

Some sides have good match ups against others regardless of ladder position

Everyones looking in bloody great shape, real different having the likes of Naughty, Ed, Smith, West etc already having AFL ready bodys compared to our draftees in previous years. Cant see us not winning the flag tbh

I remember when we drafted kids who were all built like J Grant and the other Cordy. The only skinny bloke that hung around, and had a long career despite always being skinny, and been a skinny star, is Murphy. At least from the top of my mind anyway. Either we are drafting and recognizing players body types in terms of room for growth better, or our weights guy is doing a good job. I say both

Richards, Smith, West, all had/have solid upper body structures and legs when they got drafted.

Brisbane flogged the s**t out of the Hawks twice last year. Carlton constantly beats Essendon. Saints drew GWS. We got made piss by Fremantle in the final round of 2016 before going on to win the premiership.

And the swans will start favs
Some sides have good match ups against others regardless of ladder position

Buddy looks unlikely to play Round 1. Last year, we lost by 7 points while playing Naughton as the sole key defender.

Cordy, Morris, Adams and Trengove were all injured (Cordy suspended), while Crozier, Picken and Libba were all missing too. Played one of the weakest sides all year, and Buddy tore us apart only for us to lose by such a small margin.

Surely we are going in as favourites now, will be great if we can start the year with a win which should be the case
IIRC Wood played on Buddy for most of the game and did well for the first three quarters.

Round 1 is often a crap-shoot. We lost to the 'wooden spoon favourites' in round 1 last year, they went on to win the premiership.

Heard an interview with the williamstown coach yesterday. He said Cavarra is a Clay Smith/Liam Picken type player. Any truth to this? I had him picked as a goal sneak not a tough as guts forward. Would be a good get if he can play a similar role as those 2 guys.
Cavarra was a mid prior to 2017 - but ball-magnet mids at VFL level are dime a dozen. Players at VFL level who can define a proper role at AFL level are more likely to get a chance. Gibbons was the standout VFL player of the past two years and he only just managed to get a rookie spot with Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back