Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you seeing in Jones that makes you think he's close to a lock to debut?

A few that made it to pre season sessions have mentioned he looked much improved. I went to the Norf practice game and he certainly didn’t look out of place. If Weightman was to miss and we need a small forward, he’d be almost top of the list by default but looks to have done enough to deserve it.

Feel for Jones if that accurate. He’d be close to a lock to debut if Weightman was to miss
I'd say JJ gets that defensive HHF role ahead of Jones if JJ is fit

I'm hoping Arty debuts soon. We have have one indigenous star in the side but to have two playing would be brilliant. Hope Buku can cement a spot as well, is a really good role model for all the Sudanese community in the Western Suburbs.
We have two in the side Liam Jones and JUH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Hannan isn’t the silkiest but he’s hard at it, quick and fit.
... and sacrifices his game more than most.
He's actually decent overhead and a decent kick for goal too - managed 2 snags in the first quarter of the prelim

Yeah Hannan isn’t the silkiest but he’s hard at it, quick and fit.
He hasn’t really had a good run at things given his time with us has been injury riddled.

I think he could suprise a few this year after hearing reports of a strong preseason.

He also puts the team first more often than not. Don’t feel we had many of those last year.

Last edited:
It's funny cause everyone at the demons are raving about his kick inside 50.

If he is fit and healthy both physically and mentally he can be damaging by foot but also with his hands.
Same with Dunkley - both were actually okay kicks when they had space, played on and had to time their kicks in the natural flow of play.

It's when they had the mark manned, had to go backward and assess options and make decisions slowly that they were terrible. Hunter could run on the forward flank and hit a lead no doubt. It's the marks on the half back flank and the dinky 25m kicks that have too much air and get spoilt out of bounds that were the issue. And Dunkley would just shank his.

Both are obviously big losses, but it allows our midfield to play a "slower" style with midfielders taking marks and going backward and assessing their options, spreading the field, more than they used to. It means Dale and Daniel can actually look to spread into space, rather than be the handball receiver for either of them after they took a mark.

Same with Dunkley - both were actually okay kicks when they had space, played on and had to time their kicks in the natural flow of play.

It's when they had the mark manned, had to go backward and assess options and make decisions slowly that they were terrible. Hunter could run on the forward flank and hit a lead no doubt. It's the marks on the half back flank and the dinky 25m kicks that have too much air and get spoilt out of bounds that were the issue. And Dunkley would just shank his.

Both are obviously big losses, but it allows our midfield to play a "slower" style with midfielders taking marks and going backward and assessing their options, spreading the field, more than they used to. It means Dale and Daniel can actually look to spread into space, rather than be the handball receiver for either of them after they took a mark.

Yes indeed, these problems were more evident when you attended the game than when watching on TV. Players would know that Hunter was incapable of the long, quick kick across ground and would head to the boundary. Their opposing midfielder would follow them. Suddenly you've got 25 players all in a tight pocket around the left centre, but a hectare of unused space on the right.

It's frustrating to see as a supporter, and boring to watch as a spectator. In the modern game where possession is key and players are desperate to avoid a loose man , slow dinky kicks kill the spectacle and suck enjoyment out of the game. I'm not saying Hunter is single handedly responsible for that. He can't help who he is . It's the coaches who are to blame. But I'm hoping we become a more enjoyable team to watch if we spread more to the other parts of the paddock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back