Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that’s a bit of revisionist history. He filled in a very specific role for a handful of games and did a solid job but he was hardly productive, just a pure role player.

He had some very solid seasons in 2017 & 2018 as a key defender but for whatever reason his development stalled and actually went backwards.
He always gave his 💯 and was ok at making a contest but you are right it was only for a few games towards the end due to other injuries we had

I'm usually glass half full with recruits, but really struggling to get enthused with Baker.

His career at Melbourne:

2019 - 9 games as a 20yo.
2020 - 3 games at 21
2021 - 3 games at 22.
2022 - 0 games at 23.

Over those 15 games in 4 years he averaged 12 touches, 3 contested touches and 1.6 tackles.

Admittedly Melbourne had solid wing/flanker depth but that trajectory is pretty horrid.

Skills seem scrappy.

Not sure how anyone has him as a starting best 18 player on what has been displayed, depth at best for mine.

Hope I'm wrong.
we got him for nothing

You scare easily
I can see Baker lining up on Hunter. In isolation, both is a scary proposition and I reckon it's easy to assess which frightens Scrag more.

A Baker coming at you with large mitts to throw you in an industrial oven, or a Hunter lining you up from close distance with a high calibre weapon in the woods. Both would result in death, but one is prolonged while the other is instant. This leads to me believe Baker is far scarier than Hunter so it's a win to the Western Bulldogs.

Thinking about how Melb probably line up, you’d suspect possibly Gawn, Brown & McDonald would be the 3 + Fritsch. Annoying that Gardner misses as he probably suits Brown/McDonald more than our other options.

But I’d be looking at Jones to sit on Gawn (likely deepest?) and biggest body, Keath to McDonald as he covers a lot of ground and probably Darcy to Brown - will get burnt on the lead if the entries are clean but have to back our midfield to provide enough pressure and Darcy should chew him up aerially.

Fritsch always kills us and does the most damage, could use Red but I’d possibly look at playing Cleary or Buku as the 4th to free up Red as we’re pretty reliant on him and Dale for our transition. Doc to Pickett.
Jones won’t be sitting on anyone

his skill is reading the play better than most and great closing speed in small bursts

I can see Baker lining up on Hunter. In isolation, both is a scary proposition and I reckon it's easy to assess which frightens Scrag more.

A Baker coming at you with large mitts to throw you in an industrial oven, or a Hunter lining you up from close distance with a high calibre weapon in the woods. Both would result in death, but one is prolonged while the other is instant. This leads to me believe Baker is far scarier than Hunter so it's a win to the Western Bulldogs.
There is a job for you at Zero Hanger

Gardner appears with a garden fork and wide array of pesticides.

Hunter will get 25 touches if he plays an AFL game. His issue has never been accumulation, it’s damage.
It's funny cause everyone at the demons are raving about his kick inside 50.

If he is fit and healthy both physically and mentally he can be damaging by foot but also with his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1677892141342.jpeg

ted_lasso_coachbeard.jpg

Please elaborate…
Arthur Jones adductor injury
Keath cut around his eye (but is fine)
Treloar requiring repeated treatment but played out the game
Richards and Lobb didn't play
Weightman pulled out of match sim quite early

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back