Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s treloar going this pre season?
Estimating him or Libba to have bigger years?

He has been on limited duties for most of the preseason but he looked like a beast in the match against North, looks like he'll be starting in the centre square more often.

I'm hoping Arty debuts soon. We have have one indigenous star in the side but to have two playing would be brilliant. Hope Buku can cement a spot as well, is a really good role model for all the Sudanese community in the Western Suburbs.
Wonder why we have never recruited from the Gaelic football.
I know our captain has Irish heritage. But a lot of clubs have benefited from Irish football. Never the bulldogs.

Wonder why we have never recruited from the Gaelic football.
I know our captain has Irish heritage. But a lot of clubs have benefited from Irish football. Never the bulldogs.
I think we did have an Irish player at some stage - not for very long. Can't remember the year or name. It may have been Collins.

I think we did have an Irish player at some stage - not for very long. Can't remember the year or name. It may have been Collins.
Didn't he get badly sunburnt or something like that? Pretty sure he never played a game, not even sure he got to train with us?

Didn't he get badly sunburnt or something like that? Pretty sure he never played a game, not even sure he got to train with us?
Something like that. Pretty sure there were two Irish lads came out the same year and we sort of drew straws with another club. One each. We ended up with the dud and they got a good ‘un. Can’t think who the other one was … maybe Tadgh Kennelly? 🙁

Can anyone tidy up the story with some facts?

Bernie Collins from County Cork was on our list in 2001 and 2002 (taken pick 9 in the 2001 rookie draft, 0 games). That's it, other than an Irish immigrant we briefly had on the list in the 1950s (Eugene King) who also didn't play a game.

There was only 1 other Irish player taken in 2000 by Melbourne and he also didn't play any games. Kennelly was drafted in 1999. This was all pre the CatB rookie stuff so Irish players were drafted, not just signed as they can be now.

Bernie Collins from County Cork was on our list in 2001 and 2002 (taken pick 9 in the 2001 rookie draft, 0 games). That's it, other than an Irish immigrant we briefly had on the list in the 1950s (Eugene King) who also didn't play a game.

There was only 1 other Irish player taken in 2000 by Melbourne and he also didn't play any games. Kennelly was drafted in 1999. This was all pre the CatB rookie stuff so Irish players were drafted, not just signed as they can be now.
Thanks. Seems right.

The following wasn't the original story that I read (I wasn't on BF then) but it sort of substantiates it. However the other player wasn't Kennelly it was Devine:

Thanks. Seems right.

The following wasn't the original story that I read (I wasn't on BF then) but it sort of substantiates it. However the other player wasn't Kennelly it was Devine:
And this is another interesting article that popped up when I did a search. It says about Collins: "A string of injuries wrecked the talented 22-year-old's chances of making the big time"

WESTERN BULLDOGS​

“This young kid Harvey Gallagher, he’s pretty nice.

“All of our young ones have missed some pre-season but he looks to me like he could play from a physical preparation point of view.

“Look out for ‘Gags’.” - Marcus Bontempelli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WESTERN BULLDOGS​

“This young kid Harvey Gallagher, he’s pretty nice.

“All of our young ones have missed some pre-season but he looks to me like he could play from a physical preparation point of view.

“Look out for ‘Gags’.” - Marcus Bontempelli.
If he comes good, it will make me much more confident in having Milesi in charge of recruiting.

Dalrymple is still the best in the league in my view, but if Gallagher can play, that will be another later pick that looks to have potential picked under Milesi including Cleary, A. Jones and Bedendo

If he comes good, it will make me much more confident in having Milesi in charge of recruiting.

Dalrymple is still the best in the league in my view, but if Gallagher can play, that will be another later pick that looks to have potential picked under Milesi including Cleary, A. Jones and Bedendo

Until they are good enough to be regular best 22, we won’t be able to grade Milesi.
IF 2 become best 22 then he is good, 3 great and 4 is super-elite. Dalrymple was good-great…. I hope Milesi will reach that level.

Until they are good enough to be regular best 22, we won’t be able to grade Milesi.
IF 2 become best 22 then he is good, 3 great and 4 is super-elite. Dalrymple was good-great…. I hope Milesi will reach that level.
Who drafted Vandemeir?

And this is another interesting article that popped up when I did a search. It says about Collins: "A string of injuries wrecked the talented 22-year-old's chances of making the big time"

Chronic sunburn can take down the best talent

Dalrymple is the best in the league BUT there were big gaps on our list when he left.

How much of that is on the people who overruled him on selections we don't know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back