BBL vs Shield Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can BBL bloody well finish up and let the real stuff (shield cricket) continue?
Do fans out there actually enjoy T20 cricket this much? I was bored about a month ago.
CA has completely killed the interest in cricket in this country through their greed. Extending the BBL season has proved to have been an unmitigated disaster (tv ratings severly down).
If we are to ever again compete against the best in test cricket, fans need to stand up to this nonsense.

Yes it's been a disaster, and we all knew that was going to be the case the minute the schedule came out.

Now what will be interesting is how CA respond for next summer, do they accept their mistake or do they continue to treat everyone like idiots?

Yes it's been a disaster, and we all knew that was going to be the case the minute the schedule came out.

Now what will be interesting is how CA respond for next summer, do they accept their mistake or do they continue to treat everyone like idiots?

they'll tinker with the schedule, which will be assisted by not having to schedule Tests after New Years.

BBL is a good product. However yes, it goes on for too long. Every team should play probably 8 to 10 games each. It's just dragged on way too long, people were complaining about it still being on 3 weeks ago. Next Shield round is still 2 weeks away

They will accept their mistake and change if the crowds and ratings numbers are low this year

Unlikely. One billion $ six year TV rights demand 59 BBL games.
More likely to schedule more double & triple headers to shorten timeframe.
We’re locked into the 59 games for another 5 years.
I think 59 games is too many but not nearly as bothered by that as I am the length of the tournament.

Utterly ridiculous that the BBL finishes closer to the start of March than the end of January.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many Shield games do you get to mate? Much of a crowd there?
Why do people struggle to understand that the primary aim of domestic cricket is to strengthen our position at a national level?

The single-minded focus on BBL is ultimately impacting on the Shield season and consequently, the national Test team. We're kind of lucky this season as we don't really know where we are at with Smith and Warner suspended and having to blood arguably undeserving players.

I'm pretty confident that there will be BBL scheduling changes next season as there should be.

I think 59 games is too many but not nearly as bothered by that as I am the length of the tournament.

Utterly ridiculous that the BBL finishes closer to the start of March than the end of January.

Yeah double headers would be ok
But my hesitant interest in BBL was completely gone several Scorchers games ago once they were knocked out.
Fair weather fan I know! But yeah bring back SS cricket!

Yeah double headers would be ok
But my hesitant interest in BBL was completely gone several Scorchers games ago once they were knocked out.
Fair weather fan I know! But yeah bring back SS cricket!
That's the same problem with most sports with long seasons, especially when there is no relegation.

Scorchers have had their time in the sun!

Well in terms of revenue, ratings and crowd attendance, BBL is shitting on Shield cricket. So if people do prefer Shield cricket, they aren't showing it with support.

But the BBL has gone too long. If you're gonna play 59 games, double headers more often are the way to go. Capitilise on the weekends and play double headers and possibly the odd tripple header on Saturday/Sunday.

if people prefer Shield cricket, they aren't showing it with support.
No one prefers Shield cricket, but obviously it is critical to the success of our Test side.

Crowds for Sheffield Shield will never improve. That does not mean that the format is not important.

Ive been looking forward to Shield cricket starting up again a bit more than usual this year. Probably due to a mix of the BBL season length and a tussle for spots for the Ashes series.

They will accept their mistake and change if the crowds and ratings numbers are low this year

Not happening unfortunately. Kevin Roberts recently stated there is definitely an appetite for Big Bash cricket to be played in February.

Shield is a developmental league and nothing else. That's why nobody watches it.

Nobody sooks the VFL, WAFL, SANFL and NEAFL don't get enough attention.

No one prefers Shield cricket, but obviously it is critical to the success of our Test side.

Crowds for Sheffield Shield will never improve. That does not mean that the format is not important.
So you are arguing that a successful league with good support and revenue generation should give way to a development competition that no one watches?

If it's just development, play it over late summer/early autumn, late spring/early summer and who cares? No ones watching anyway.

I gets its important, but t20 is the future of short form cricket. Worldwide its crushing all other versions of the game apart from high profile test series and test rivalries. In time it might be the most dominant form of the game in terms of support. It's only going to grow.

So you are arguing that a successful league with good support and revenue generation should give way to a development competition that no one watches?

If it's just development, play it over late summer/early autumn, late spring/early summer and who cares? No ones watching anyway.

I gets its important, but t20 is the future of short form cricket. Worldwide its crushing all other versions of the game apart from high profile test series and test rivalries. In time it might be the most dominant form of the game in terms of support. It's only going to grow.

You are confusing what 'developmental' means.

It's not developmental like, say, the TAC Cup. In fact, that kind of thinking has led to pathways being introduced, which have actually been detrimental to the long-term quality of players coming through. They are developmental in the sense that they are the method through which a strong Test team is created, not in the sense that they are where cricketers are formed. Cricketers are formed in club cricket. Therefore, Shield cricket needs to replicate Test cricket as much as possible, in order to separate the wheat from the chaff. Treating it as an afterthought will only damage the Test team, which will in turn damage the standing of cricket in this country, which will ultimately damage your precious T20 leagues.

You are confusing what 'developmental' means.

It's not developmental like, say, the TAC Cup. In fact, that kind of thinking has led to pathways being introduced, which have actually been detrimental to the long-term quality of players coming through. They are developmental in the sense that they are the method through which a strong Test team is created, not in the sense that they are where cricketers are formed. Cricketers are formed in club cricket. Therefore, Shield cricket needs to replicate Test cricket as much as possible, in order to separate the wheat from the chaff. Treating it as an afterthought will only damage the Test team, which will in turn damage the standing of cricket in this country, which will ultimately damage your precious T20 leagues.
So what's your argument then?
My "precious t20 leagues"? What does that mean? The format of the game is growing worldwide, the numbers don't lie in it becoming the most supported short form format. And if the worldwide growth continues, it may be the most watched form of cricket of any type.

I didn't say abolish Shield cricket, all I said was playing it can be played at alternative times and you can still have the most popular short form t20 big bash season. The two don't need to compete directly.

Why not have two yearly tours of Shield state based cricket? October-Mid Dec and then mid Feb - early April, that would still allow for each state side to play a number of 4-5 day matches against different opponents. And it would more closely resemble what the international test tours are like because you are playing at different times of year in different conditions/weather, etc.

It doesn't need to be Big Bash vs Shield, there is opportunity to do both if scheduled differently. And if no one is watching Shield anyway, then you don't need to consider audience as a factor.

I would rather see a schedule of Test Cricket November/ December and BBL in Jan. Teams play twice a week and we spill into early February for semis and finals. Semis as a double header and the final two nights later. Done. Could then play 6 shield games up till Christmas and 4 and the final through till mid March.

Can BBL bloody well finish up and let the real stuff (shield cricket) continue?
Do fans out there actually enjoy T20 cricket this much? I was bored about a month ago.
CA has completely killed the interest in cricket in this country through their greed. Extending the BBL season has proved to have been an unmitigated disaster (tv ratings severly down).
If we are to ever again compete against the best in test cricket, fans need to stand up to this nonsense.

Whether people prefer BBL or Sheffield Shield, that's not the issue. The bolded part of you comment is what bothers me about BBL. Under this current format, Australian cricket has no hope of ever returning to being a power in Test cricket. You simply cannot place the cricket program on hold for 2.5 months while we fart around with Mickey Mouse cricket and expect players to develop. I am hopeful CA have realised this and will take steps to ensure the 2018-19 schedule never happens again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back