Shield Round 8: New South Wales vs South Australia, Cricket Central, 1-4 March

Remove this Banner Ad

New South Wales squad Ollie Davies, Jack Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Chris Green, Ryan Hadley, Moises Henriques (c) Daniel Hughes, Sam Konstas, Blake Nikitaras, Jack Nisbet, Smit Raval, Chris Tremain

South Australia squad Wes Agar, Kyle Brazell, Jordan Buckingham, Brendan Doggett, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Spencer Johnson, Thomas Kelly, Jake Lehmann (c), Ben Manenti, Nathan McAndrew, Nathan McSweeney, Harry Nielsen

Do or die for New South Wales, a win keeps the door slightly ajar but a draw or loss renders them unlikely to make the final. South Australia has to have literally everything to go right to make the final but realistically are staring down another spoon.

Possible sides:

NSW:

Konstas
Nikitaras
Hughes
Henriques (c)
Davies
Edwards
Gilkes (+)
Green
Tremain
Nisbet
Raval

SA:

Brazell
Fraser-McGurk
McSweeney
Lehmann
Kelly
Nielsen (+)
Manenti
McAndrew
Johnson
Buckingham
Doggett

Gonna say draw here.

Brazell a tad stiff, had to be pitching outside leg.

Yes, I thought maybe the ball was pitched slightly outside leg. What didn't help him was even though he eventually was playing forward, he wasn't all that far down the pitch. Left handers don't seem to get the same benefit of doubt about balls from right arm bowlers pitching outside leg as right-hand batsmen seem to get when facing left arm bowlers. (Spoken like a true left arm bowler) :)

Tom Kelly made 54. Was hoping for more but it was a good start. Then Lehmann came ..... and went.
He copped a fair smack in the head not long before he got out. I wonder if that may have affected him (although it didn't appear so)?
Lehmann - you could drive a bus through that gap between bat and pad!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Kelly made 54. Was hoping for more but it was a good start. Then Lehmann came ..... and went.
His stroke play looks good in the highlights, but IMO (from the little I’ve seen of him) there’s not a lot of footwork from him and seems to play away from his body consistently which will be exploited by good bowling.

His stroke play looks good in the highlights, but IMO (from the little I’ve seen of him) there’s not a lot of footwork from him and seems to play away from his body consistently which will be exploited by good bowling.
He's a T20 generation player. I've given up on hoping we see anyone under 25 with a classic technique.

We need to get him playing more red ball Cricket which is hard to do once you enter the Aus white ball setup. I'd still have guys like Neser, Boland and Paris ahead of him for now.
Yep, it's all very well firing yourself up for 4 overs in 2 spells of 2, but having to bowl 25 overs in a day and a half is a completely different kettle of fish. Until he plays more Sheffield Shield, I can't even entertain the thought of him in the Test team.

Last edited:
50 to Davies, has been putting together a solid year at shield level and showing signs his game could possibly translate to higher levels not just limited overs cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back