Shield Round 8: Tasmania vs Victoria, Bellerive Oval, 1-4 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania squad Jordan Silk (capt), Gabe Bell, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Jarrod Freeman, Bradley Hope, Caleb Jewell, Riley Meredith, Billy Stanlake, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster

Victoria squad Will Sutherland (capt), Xavier Crone, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Campbell Kellaway, Nic Maddinson, Todd Murphy, Fergus O'Neill, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Peter Siddle

Top of the table clash, With what's likely to be a green seamer it will be interesting to see if Victoria go with the extra bat. Winner can virtually book their place in the final but a draw or loss leaves both teams vulnerable to WA and NSW.

Possible sides:

Tas:

Jewell
Wakim
Wade
Silk (c)
Doran (+)
Webster
Hope
Freeman
Stanlake
Meredith
Bell

Vic:

Harris
Maddinson
Pucovski
Handscomb
Kellaway
Short
Harper (+)
Sutherland
Perry
O'Neill
Siddle

Biased, but Vics to win and get a real crack at hosting the final.

Mitch Owen's injury has come at a shocking time for the Tigers. Gave them something resembling a batsman at number 8.

Tasmania squad Jordan Silk (capt), Gabe Bell, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Jarrod Freeman, Bradley Hope, Caleb Jewell, Riley Meredith, Billy Stanlake, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster

Victoria squad Will Sutherland (capt), Xavier Crone, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Campbell Kellaway, Nic Maddinson, Todd Murphy, Fergus O'Neill, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Peter Siddle

Top of the table clash, With what's likely to be a green seamer it will be interesting to see if Victoria go with the extra bat. Winner can virtually book their place in the final but a draw or loss leaves both teams vulnerable to WA and NSW.

Possible sides:

Tas:

Jewell
Wakim
Wade
Silk (c)
Doran (+)
Webster
Hope
Freeman
Stanlake
Meredith
Bell

Vic:

Harris
Maddinson
Pucovski
Handscomb
Kellaway
Short
Harper (+)
Sutherland
Perry
O'Neill
Siddle

Biased, but Vics to win and get a real crack at hosting the final.
Do we need 4 fast bowlers though,would hope Murphy would be in and perhaps Siddle is out Suppose it depends what the pitch is like though.

Do we need 4 fast bowlers though,would hope Murphy would be in and perhaps Siddle is out suppose it depends what the pitch is like I suppose.
That was a predicted side, not the actual one. Post 2 has the actual side

So a pitch they want to bowl first on they go with the extra bowler, makes sense…
Remember the time you complained about this in a Shield final, guaranteeing that we'd lose badly and we won by 170-odd runs?

With the form of our top 4, I'm happy with this line up. This would be my preferred XI for the rest of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not making the final is preferable to trips to the WACA, but I don’t think we have to worry about playing WA in Perth this year as I don’t think that is a possibility
That's bullshit.

You make the final you give yourself a chance to win it. I'd rather make it and lose than not make it at all. What you're talking about is a losers mentality.

If my team wins tomorrow we finish fourth and have a chance to win a flag. Slim, but it's there. We lose we're out. I'd rather win and lose first week than lose and miss out.

That's bullshit.

You make the final you give yourself a chance to win it. I'd rather make it and lose than not make it at all. What you're talking about is a losers mentality.

If my team wins tomorrow we finish fourth and have a chance to win a flag. Slim, but it's there. We lose we're out. I'd rather win and lose first week than lose and miss out.

I’d back my team to beat the top side absolutely, but winning a shield final away from home is an extremely difficult and extremely rare.

Local cricket 99/100 the top teams will choke as their best batsmen have spent the entire season padding up to balls and smashing them to the keeper and their teammates giving them not out, come finals and neutral umpires will send them packing.

I’d back my team to beat the top side absolutely, but winning a shield final away from home is an extremely difficult and extremely rare.

Local cricket 99/100 the top teams will choke as their best batsmen have spent the entire season padding up to balls and smashing them to the keeper and their teammates giving them not out, come finals and neutral umpires will send them packing.
It's hard sure, but if you finish outside the top 2 you can't win it. I'd rather lose the Shield final than not make it.

Tassie have escaped with a pretty respectable first innings score at Bellerive here. We've been really lucky to eek runs out of the tail when we've needed them this season, it's probably been a major factor in us riding so high on the table.

Not making the final is preferable to trips to the WACA, but I don’t think we have to worry about playing WA in Perth this year as I don’t think that is a possibility

Horrific take :thumbsdown:

There isn't an athlete in the world who goes "nah, * the premiership, it's too far to travel."

Absurd comment.

This would be at least the 4th or 5th day of Shield cricket this season that Webster has swung almost single-handedly either with bat or ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back