Shield Round 4: Victoria vs Tasmania, Junction Oval, 5-8 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. If you roll a side in 60 overs you should have every right to bat the remaining 36 and then the 96 the following day to press home an advantage at a minimum.

If the other side isn't good enough to roll you then that's on them.
If you roll a side in 60 overs surely you should get the 40 overs they did not bat making you have 140 overs before a compulsory closure.

If you roll a side in 60 overs surely you should get the 40 overs they did not bat making you have 140 overs before a compulsory closure.
You said 100 overs maximum. Why should that change?

No compulsory closure. You have four days to win the game. Period

You said if a side gets some one out in 60 overs ,surely entitled to the 40 overs the other side did not bat.
Your proposal said that they can bat no more than 100 overs in the first innings. Either way, it's a dumb idea and shouldn't be used. And won't be.

Your proposal said that they can bat no more than 100 overs in the first innings. Either way, it's a dumb idea and shouldn't be used. And won't be.
I don't think it's a dumb idea at all.

A 100 overs plus any that the side batting first didn't use.

Last year the last 3 sides had 4 wins out of 30 games.

We have too many games that are destined for a draw by day two.

Look at the current Tasmania/Victorian game.
Tassie batting until tea on the seconds day kills the game.

Something has to be done.

I don't think it's a dumb idea at all.

A 100 overs plus any that the side batting first didn't use.

Last year the last 3 sides had 4 wins out of 30 games.

We have too many games that are destined for a draw by day two.

Look at the current Tasmania/Victorian game.
Tassie batting until tea on the seconds day kills the game.

Something has to be done.
Nah. You have 384 overs to win a game. If neither side is good enough to win then that's the case. No capping overs.

Well something has to be done to encourage sides to play for the win.

These boring draws on feather-beds aren't doing anything for the game.
It's easy to criticise decks like this from the armchair but it can be hard to prepare a deck that takes spin late, which is obviously what they were trying to do.

What a disgrace that both teams had vandalised this match to the point they shook hands 3 hours early.

I can't even figure out why, Tassie were probably only 5-10 overs beyond a reasonable declaration (although too short on runs to declare at that point.) Why not set the Vics 6 an over with the weather closing in?

It's easy to criticise decks like this from the armchair but it can be hard to prepare a deck that takes spin late, which is obviously what they were trying to do.
LOL

You think it's the only flat deck this year?
The WACA was dreadful last game.

How about having a bit of life in them from the start like Sydney?

If you think a side getting put in bats for 5 sessions and virtually kills the game is good for cricket,
I can't help you I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a disgrace that both teams had vandalised this match to the point they shook hands 3 hours early.

I can't even figure out why, Tassie were probably only 5-10 overs beyond a reasonable declaration (although too short on runs to declare at that point.) Why not set the Vics 6 an over with the weather closing in?
When a team bats for the first 5 sessions, realistically there's only one side who can win it.
Thought Tassie should've declared at lunch on day 2 TBH.

We're getting too many flat decks and unimaginative captains happy with a draw doesn't help.

LOL

You think it's the only flat deck this year?
The WACA was dreadful last game.

How about having a bit of life in them from the start like Sydney?

If you think a side getting put in bats for 5 sessions and virtually kills the game is good for cricket,
I can't help you I guess.
Some decks have life early. Some decks try to get the ball to turn late. Pretty obvious which one the curators were trying to do here. I never said it was good for cricket either, I said I understood what the curators were trying but they obviously got it wrong.

It's also a lot harder to get that deck right. You can't have it turning square day 1, you have to accept that it'll be good for batting day 1. In four day cricket you can't get life in early and take spin late unless you get 4 days of 35+ to completely bake the deck. Even then it's no guarantee.

Some decks have life early. Some decks try to get the ball to turn late. Pretty obvious which one the curators were trying to do here. I never said it was good for cricket either, I said I understood what the curators were trying but they obviously got it wrong.

It's also a lot harder to get that deck right. You can't have it turning square day 1, you have to accept that it'll be good for batting day 1. In four day cricket you can't get life in early and take spin late unless you get 4 days of 35+ to completely bake the deck. Even then it's no guarantee.
It's just not the pitches though.

There's too many draws happening.
Sides and captains seem to be happy with a draw.

Tasmania were on top of the ladder before this round.
Seems they were just happy for a draw from the start.

Something needs to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back