Shield Round 5: Tasmania v New South Wales @Blundstone Arena, 18-21 November 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

TASMANIA
Caleb Jewell, Tim Ward, Charlie Wakim, Jordan Silk (c), Jake Doran (wk), Beau Webster, Bradley Hope, Mitchell Owen, Jarrod Freeman, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Gabe Bell

NEW SOUTH WALES
Daniel Hughes, Ryan Hackney, Blake Macdonald, Matthew Gilkes (wk), Moises Henriques (c), Ollie Davies, Chris Green, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Nisbet, Jackson Bird, Chris Tremain

UMPIRES/REFEREE
Lightbody, S A & Oxenford, B N J (Umpires); Johnston, D (Referee)

TOSS
Tasmania won the toss and bowled

New South Wales all out 181 (Davies 67, Henriques 50, Gilkes 30, Bell 4-29, Neil-Smith 3-57). Tasmania 1-17 in reply. Jewell out for 4.

Since scoring 87 in his first Shield innings this season, Jewell's Shield scores have been:
0, 0, 27, 2, 22, 6, 1 & 4 - 62 runs @ 7.75

Since scoring 87 in his first Shield innings this season, Jewell's Shield scores have been:
0, 0, 27, 2, 22, 6, 1 & 4 - 62 runs @ 7.75
The top order batting throughout the Sheffield Shield this season has been deplorable. Doesn't augur well for the future of our Test team. These guys are stringing together low scores, then slogging a 50 or so in the Marsh Cup and everyone says what good players they are.

The top order batting throughout the Sheffield Shield this season has been deplorable. Doesn't augur well for the future of our Test team. These guys are stringing together low scores, then slogging a 50 or so in the Marsh Cup and everyone says what good players they are.
I mentioned Jewell because his f-c form over his previous 5 matches had been outstanding.
Last two Shield matches of 22-23: 40, 121, 98, 38
Aust A match 22-23: 66, 16
Aust A matches 23-24: 78, 15, 4, 131
Add in the 87 in his first Shield innings this season (87) and that is 694 runs at 63.09. So it's odd that he has completely fallen away as he has, he's gone from one extreme to another.

Beau Webster in ridiculous form right now.

And good to see Ollie Davies back up his ton with another score, got him penned into the Aus white ball sides for the next 15 years but wasn't sure how he'd go in the SS.
Isn't he just? And he's often scoring the runs under pressure too.

Isn't he just? And he's often scoring the runs under pressure too.

Bit of a shame he hasn't cashed in for any hundreds but still, he seems to be making a score basically every innings. Throw in his bowling and fielding, very handy Cricketer.

Bit of a shame he hasn't cashed in for any hundreds but still, he seems to be making a score basically every innings. Throw in his bowling and fielding, very handy Cricketer.
v SA 62; 0-42 & 4-32; 4 catches
v WA 64 & 32*; 1-72
v Qld 59 & 70; 1-77 & 0-35; 2 catches
v Vic 97*; 2-42
v NSW 68*; 2-30; 1 catch

452 runs @ 113
10 wickets @ 33
7 catches

v SA 62; 0-42 & 4-32; 4 catches
v WA 64 & 32*; 1-72
v Qld 59 & 70; 1-77 & 0-35; 2 catches
v Vic 97*; 2-42
v NSW 68*; 2-30; 1 catch

452 runs @ 113
10 wickets @ 33
7 catches

That's just his Shield stuff. He was in great form for Essex in their one day cup too. Hoping he can get the 3 figures up here.

Should've been included for the T20 series in India IMO.

He's a bit of a tease in the BBL so if they were basing it off purely T20 stuff then it's understandable. Had a good season for the Renegades probably 3 years ago but has been consistently average since.

Not related to this game, but can someone explain to me the points for the WA v SA game? Everywhere I've checked, the tally is WA 6, SA 0. How is it possible that SA can almost win the game and get ZERO?

I think it's more the fact that media outlets A don't really care about the Shield and B still can't work out the bonus point system after like 10 years of it. SA would've got 1 BP for taking all 10 WA wickets and WA would've got 1.04 for 10 wickets plus for scoring 4 runs more than 200. WA then take the full 6 as well obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a bit of a tease in the BBL so if they were basing it off purely T20 stuff then it's understandable. Had a good season for the Renegades probably 3 years ago but has been consistently average since.
Was worth a punt.

Did we need to go back to Wade?
Smith is in the squad for Gods sake.

This was the perfect time to try some new faces.

I suspect that Webster is going to be written off as just a good domestic player - but the form he's in, the timing of his runs (ie. when we need them) and his age (he turns 30 this week) mean he could be useful to the national team at some point.

Of course he got out as I went to write this!

I suspect that Webster is going to be written off as just a good domestic player - but the form he's in, the timing of his runs (ie. when we need them) and his age (he turns 30 this week) mean he could be useful to the national team at some point.

Of course he got out as I went to write this!

Handy he can bowl meds and offies too. He'd be handy in sub continent tests potentially.

Tassie with the 3 bonus points, they're going to a half a win clear of WA at the end of the round.
And they get NSW again next week

We've got enough runs and the run rate has slowed dramatically, I'm not sure why we're still batting.

Look I don't know if Bell has had injuries over the journey but he started his Shield career well and then basically went missing for the 3 years Siddle played for Tassie.

The two seasons pre Siddle he took over 50 wickets combined.

Then only played 7 matches across the 3 years Siddle was here.

Then this season has 17 wickets at 19.

Bloody slow going this. I guess NSW are just batting time and hoping for rain tomorrow? It's a grind to watch though, they'd given up the potential of setting a target before stumps last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back