Shield Round 5: Western Australia v South Australia @WACA, 15-18 November 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez Lehmann has been a disappointment for SA.....

He has had an intermittent 1st class career based on the fact he's got a famous surname. Every now and then, he'll slog a 50 or even a 100, but then the cue is placed in the rack, and he does nothing for the next dozen or so knocks. When he does get dropped, he peels off 100 in the grade competition and because there's nobody else, he gets reinstated into the state team. This pattern has been a recurring one for several seasons and I've given up on him. He's really a glorified grade cricket slogger.

Hunt made his 162 against Qld, we thought he'd turned the corner, but the past 3 knocks have realised 21 runs. Sorry to see Drew struggling, I had high hopes for him, but he has only managed a top score of 29 in 10 innings this season and averaged 12.30. Carder's a good average player, averaging 18.50 in 6 innings.

I have no idea what to make of Fraser-McGurk, he appears to be a T20 player with no real desire to succeed in 1st class cricket. He plays shots from ball 1, doesn't want to read the pitch or the bowlers, and soon after he's sitting back in the dressing room. Today, he walks in at 4/30, the team desperate for someone to bat with McSweeney, but he's out for 8 in 11 balls .... in that brief period, he managed 1 six. :rolleyes:

I don't envisage things will improve anytime soon. There is way too much emphasis on, and opportunities for, players to make a living from hit and giggle cricket, it doesn't seem to matter if they fail at 1st class level.

He has had an intermittent 1st class career based on the fact he's got a famous surname. Every now and then, he'll slog a 50 or even a 100, but then the cue is placed in the rack, and he does nothing for the next dozen or so knocks. When he does get dropped, he peels off 100 in the grade competition and because there's nobody else, he gets reinstated into the state team. This pattern has been a recurring one for several seasons and I've given up on him. He's really a glorified grade cricket slogger.

Hunt made his 162 against Qld, we thought he'd turned the corner, but the past 3 knocks have realised 21 runs. Sorry to see Drew struggling, I had high hopes for him, but he has only managed a top score of 29 in 10 innings this season and averaged 12.30. Carder's a good average player, averaging 18.50 in 6 innings.

I have no idea what to make of Fraser-McGurk, he appears to be a T20 player with no real desire to succeed in 1st class cricket. He plays shots from ball 1, doesn't want to read the pitch or the bowlers, and soon after he's sitting back in the dressing room. Today, he walks in at 4/30, the team desperate for someone to bat with McSweeney, but he's out for 8 in 11 balls .... in that brief period, he managed 1 six. :rolleyes:

I don't envisage things will improve anytime soon. There is way too much emphasis on, and opportunities for, players to make a living from hit and giggle cricket, it doesn't seem to matter if they fail at 1st class level.
It's really been McSweeney and Manenti, maybe a cameo/one-off score from someone else, and then donuts from the rest of the lineup.

I would like to see Drew dropped.... to 5 in the batting order. Might as well open with JFM at least we might be 2 for 40 off 5 overs instead of 2 for 3...

The way South Australia let their top 7 try and protect their best bats who come in at 8 & 9 is one of the great tactical introductions to the red ball game.

That’s poor from Doggett. Manenti going to be stranded now.
Manenti continues to be left stranded. In his time at SA, he's made 4 scores in the 80s, another in the 70s, 66 today, and a 59. Now, I do subscribe to the Peter Principle where everyone gets promoted to their own level of incompetence, but it would be worth a try to see how he goes higher in the order.

SA really should play the extra bowler when Head/Carey get back.

Hunt, JFM, McSweeney, Head, Drew, Carey (+), Manenti, McAndrew, Agar, Doggett, Buckingham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically 4 down for 58. Gonna take another job from the tail to win here.

Stobo has been a godsend for WA in their lower order. Another big ask for him to hang in there and help guide WA home with Goodwin...55 to chase down. Also a good confidence booster for Goodwin if he can be there at the end.

Edit: spoke to soon....Stobo out now....geez kiss of death or what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back