Shield The Final: Western Australia vs Tasmania, The WACA, 21-25 March

Remove this Banner Ad

I've followed Tasmanian cricket since before the Shield days - I go back to 71-72.

This is the first time that I'm genuinely embarrassed to say I support them.

As good as WA have been, we've been disgraceful.

Awful shot from Webster, WA might be able to wrap this up today with needing just 4 more wickets.

Make that 3 more wickets with Tubby Freeman gone for a second ball duck.
It was all too hard for him to show a bit of pride and spine - Shield player of the Year or not. Same with Jewell and Wade.

At the very least I expected them to come out in the second innings and make WA work for the victory.

Tassie 9 wickets down now, this won't be lasting much longer.

It was all too hard for him to show a bit of pride and spine - Shield player of the Year or not. Same with Jewell and Wade.

At the very least I expected them to come out in the second innings and make WA work for the victory.

It's been a couple of pretty feeble batting efforts from Tassie, not one of their batsmen has been able to make a fifty in either innings.

Booyaka!

Tassie just brought a too defensive mindset I think. Sent WA in and let them go over 300 first innings. Then batted bizarrely in their first innings by refusing to push the pace. Once WA had the bonus points in hand it needed a miracle.

Top class performance by WA especially the bowlers who were relentless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we bowled first.

Showed our mindset from the start. When they were 0/100 after the first session(or something like that), the game was out of our reach already. Good comeback late in the 1st day but the batters just looked scared.

We should have hosted it......we lost that in the last match

Well Played WA. Smashed us.

Not sure why we bowled first.

Showed our mindset from the start. When they were 0/100 after the first session(or something like that), the game was out of our reach already. Good comeback late in the 1st day but the batters just looked scared.

We should have hosted it......we lost that in the last match

Well Played WA. Smashed us.
I think Tasmania bowled first because they got sucked into playing the bonus point game instead of cricket.
If they could have bowled WA out cheaply they could have played that game, but WAs score meant it became a proper 5 day game.
Or they could have batted and put runs on the board, always a solid option in a 5 day final.
Tasmania’s inability to bowl WA out cheaply in either innings proved costly, and obviously their batting was very disappointing.

A poor performance, but the schoolboy tactics was probably the the worst part.

Well done Western Australia, far too good.

I'm shattered at how poor we were, but that doesn't detract from WA's domination from the start of the game.

I hope that Tasmanian cricket can one day emulate what WA cricket is currently achieving.

I expected them to fold in the 2nd innings. With such an enormous deficit, it would have been a mental thing. I've seen it all before many times in cricket. They would have been thinking, "let's make WA work for this", but subconsciously they would have been thinking, "What's the use?".

IMHO, Tasmania lost this game when they won the toss and handed their advantage straight back to WA. I couldn't believe this, especially when that tactic backfired on them in the previous match against SA. They played from behind for the remainder of the match.

Just a question, whatever happened to Lawrence Neil-Smith, was he injured?

I expected them to fold in the 2nd innings. With such an enormous deficit, it would have been a mental thing. I've seen it all before many times in cricket. They would have been thinking, "let's make WA work for this", but subconsciously they would have been thinking, "What's the use?".

IMHO, Tasmania lost this game when they won the toss and handed their advantage straight back to WA. I couldn't believe this, especially when that tactic backfired on them in the previous match against SA. They played from behind for the remainder of the match.

Just a question, whatever happened to Lawrence Neil-Smith, was he injured?
You’re spot on, and I said pretty much this last night. I’m surprised they even made 160 given the circumstances.
You’d think heads will roll regarding who came up with the tactics.
It’s the sort of stuff you’d expect to be said is a great idea on here, not from the coaching staff of an actual First Class side.

You’re spot on, and I said pretty much this last night. I’m surprised they even made 160 given the circumstances.
You’d think heads will roll regarding who came up with the tactics.
It’s the sort of stuff you’d expect to be said is a great idea on here, not from the coaching staff of an actual First Class side.
Game was lost last week when they f$$ked up losing to SA.

Really think they dropped there heads when wa won last week and Tassie lost the right to host the final

Cartwright with 149 runs across two innings and Gannon with match figures of 8/61 off 31 overs both more deserving of Motm over Whiteman imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back