Training 2019 Preseason

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AND into the wind. There is no protection down that end and kicks were pulling to the left. I didnt know who it was except he looked young. I shook my head as he decided to go back for the shot. It was a 55m kick. But went dead straight and cleared the line easily. Not many senior players can make that kick.
As others mentioned, that Rankine is a R1 certainty. Miles is a professional grunt player, but will frustrate at times. You'll want Witts playing as many games as possible as Nichols is NEAFL at best.
Overall the Suns moved the ball very well in the 2 quarters I saw. Interesting Dawson playing back pocket as he has always been a mid. Did well. He is not quick but kept Rayner quiet and is a good user. He wouldnt be able to play there though on most small forwards.

Although some obvious big losses to the team from last season, some good pick ups too. Should be an ineresting season watching these kids develop.
We need to draft another backup ruckman now. We got spots on the list. I put line through Nicholls yesterday. His injury may actually force Suns to make a decision.

Miles actually looked better than Lyons yesterday. Solid, hard body.

Dawson is a smart player and developing nicely. Yes, not in the best 22 and should end up in midfield eventually. Rayner looked too big to me.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One thing that worried me yesterday was our inability to stop Charlie Cameron. I know Harbs wasn't playing and would likely be a perfect match up for Cameron, but Harbs is turning 31 later this year and this could be an issue for us in a year or two. Dewy threw Heron on Cameron because he knew it would likely be an even match up if they were to get into a foot race but Cameron had him beat in every other aspect. One-on-one he out muscled Heron to create easy marking opportunities, protected the drop zone very well and was a reliable lead up option. If Cameron was more accurate in front of goal he could have easily kicked a bag of 5 or 6 and that concerns me. We know Charlie Cameron is a seriously talented player and could probably cut any team to ribbons but I just don't want small forwards to dominate us like that in the future. It also annoys me a little bit that Charlie is actually from our academy zone (Gulf of Carpentaria/North West QLD) and would probably be playing for us if circumstances were different.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One thing that worried me yesterday was our inability to stop Charlie Cameron. I know Harbs wasn't playing and would likely be a perfect match up for Cameron, but Harbs is turning 31 later this year and this could be an issue for us in a year or two. Dewy threw Heron on Cameron because he knew it would likely be an even match up if they were to get into a foot race but Cameron had him beat in every other aspect. One-on-one he out muscled Heron to create easy marking opportunities, protected the drop zone very well and was a reliable lead up option. If Cameron was more accurate in front of goal he could have easily kicked a bag of 5 or 6 and that concerns me. We know Charlie Cameron is a seriously talented player and could probably cut any team to ribbons but I just don't want small forwards to dominate us like that in the future. It also annoys me a little bit that Charlie is actually from our academy zone (Gulf of Carpentaria/North West QLD) and would probably be playing for us if circumstances were different.
Yes, Cameron was fantastic. His speed, talent is just great and Heron struggled against him one-one as most defenders would do. Heron is also just learning. Not sure anybody can keep up with him. It got to be a team effort. I think our defence in first half was great anchored by Thompson and Hombsh.

Last edited:

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree with all that Nicholls is cooked. Hast played much footy though but looks way off it at the moment.

Rankine definitely the highlight, going to be something else!

Liked Scheers game, tough bugger.

Powell looked good up the ground and did a few nice things.

Wright looked great, big season hopefully for him.

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only practice games but for sure there were some promising signs.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Our first 2 goals by Rankine and Lukosius in first 4 min were our future in action. Even Evans was excited when passing by. Yes, Lukosius and Rankine are pure class. Rankine pretty unbelievable. During the game he had 3 Lions close around him. He faked them all and delivered perfect pass. Lukosius reads game beautifully and has a great kick. He did ice his calf after the game.

Hombsh a starter for me. Great interceptor, reads game well. Burgess and Collins also good.

Powell is getting better and better. Still missing 10kg but again great decisions, great kick, tough.

Wright looks ready to break out. Marked everything, running hard. He was also great in the ruck.

Miles a starter for me too. Better than Lyons already in my opinion.

GHS was also good.

Brodie played only last 2-3 quarters, solid. After the game he was running laps with a small group and was struggling together with Crossley. He may had interrupted preseason.

Not overly impressed by Nicholls. He was beaten by Archie and big O. He was icing back of his knee after half. Crossley already looks better - great aggression.

The last 2 quarters we also played probably academy players. I never seen them - numbers 47,49.

Portelli and McDonald were the academy players

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Lemmens and Ah Chee could go back and have the athleticism to match it with the fast small forwards - definitely not ideal though.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I wish the club would release some highlights or vision or even just some photos.

That game would have been filmed for their own training reasons. Just release the footage.

Weller took the Cameron role in the first QClash last year but was mostly just holding on for dear life.

Harbrow is our best match-up for him. After that we have no-one. To be honest not many teams have a good match-up for Cameron which is what makes him so dangerous.

Interesting to hear Dawson play back. I think that's where he's been playing most of the pre-season, so clearly being groomed as a small defender.

I always really like him in the guts because he can just find the ball and works hard on the spread. And he's a neat kick.

Maybe Dew just prefers him locking down on someone down back. I can't imagine he would get the best of Rayner normally. Dawson is good but quite limited in terms of athleticism. Whereas Rayner is good and an awesome athlete.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting to hear Dawson play back. I think that's where he's been playing most of the pre-season, so clearly being groomed as a small defender.

I always really like him in the guts because he can just find the ball and works hard on the spread. And he's a neat kick.

Maybe Dew just prefers him locking down on someone down back. I can't imagine he would get the best of Rayner normally. Dawson is good but quite limited in terms of athleticism. Whereas Rayner is good and an awesome athlete.
Too many players vying for midfield at the moment. Dawson time will come in 2 years I hope. Rayner is probably the worst runner on Lions team.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Too many players vying for midfield at the moment. Dawson time will come in 2 years I hope. Rayner is probably the worst runner on Lions team.
That's true - but Rayner can jump out of the building. General forward nous is quite good whereas Dawson still learning that role. Just not a good match-up.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
hey was wondering what kind of role Hanley will play? do you guys expect him to take kick-ins?

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Totally lacks the speed to keep up with a player like Cameron. Last year Jesse seemed to lose confidence in his game and wasn't able to play to his strengths.
Not true, he topped the state combine for speed and agility. Runs a sub 3s 20m sprint. All confidence.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not true, he topped the state combine for speed and agility. Runs a sub 3s 20m sprint. All confidence.

Is that right? That's a surprise. I've always felt the one thing holding Jesse back from being a gun defender is a lack of pace. Just appears slow out there at times. Has the toughness, good footy brain and reliable disposal already. He surely isn't 191cm though is he like is reported in some stats. Appears to be closer to 181cm.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is that right? That's a surprise. I've always felt the one thing holding Jesse back from being a gun defender is a lack of pace. Just appears slow out there at times. Has the toughness, good footy brain and reliable disposal already. He surely isn't 191cm though is he like is reported in some stats. Appears to be closer to 181cm.
Somewhere in the middle for my mind, round 186. Combine results really not really the Indicator of actual agility - certainly not after 4-5 pre seasons spent bulking up (Jesse is MUCH more solidly built now than he was in his draft year).
He was even quoted in an interview during last preseason saying that he isn't blessed with speed and has had to compensate with physicalilty.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Yeah definitely not 191cm haha. 183 is my guess.

Back